Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk 64DD

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Lets talk 64DD

So I just picked one up, with all the common games. So far I've only played Doshin the Giant, and it's a pretty nifty game.

I've got a few questions and comments so far:

Does F-Zero X Level Editor work with the USA F-Zero X?
    Is the 64DD supposed to be so noisy?
    Is Doshin the Giant 2 worth tracking down? I'm not even going to bother with the Golf game, but more Doshin could be nifty.
    What's with the lazy do it yourself end stickers?
    What is your favorite software title for the platform?

What are your guys thoughts on this cool little piece of hardware? I've been dieing to get one for years, and I'm glad I finally picked one up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I might recommend this be moved to Import-Mania as it will stay up on the front page longer and have more interest.

I'd say my 64DD isn't noisy at all. But it could be a matter of what you think is noisy.

I don't know about US F-Zero X. The expansion set is quite cool on the Japanese version, though.

As I mentioned in the thread in the What's It Worth forum, I think the Japan Pro Golf Tour is quite worth the effort to find. Doshin 2 is as well if you can get it for cheap - it pops up on Yahoo Auctions every month or so and usually runs 10k-15k yen. That one I linked to before is the cheapest i've seen and a nice set.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've always wanted a darn 64DD .. Way too expensive with hardly any games though. Maybe you could take some pictures, like comparing the DD disc next to an N64 cart. How heavy are the discs compared to an N64 cart? How heavy is the 64 DD itself? Is it as noisy as a Dreamcast? :P Better yet, make a video. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is a quick question. Will the 64DD work with a US N64? It doesn't sound like it would, but I would love to know.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidnotcrazy View Post
    Here is a quick question. Will the 64DD work with a US N64? It doesn't sound like it would, but I would love to know.
    It works no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    I've always wanted a darn 64DD .. Way too expensive with hardly any games though. Maybe you could take some pictures, like comparing the DD disc next to an N64 cart. How heavy are the discs compared to an N64 cart? How heavy is the 64 DD itself? Is it as noisy as a Dreamcast? :P Better yet, make a video. :P
    I'm sure there are plenty of videos on youtube.

The 64DD is basically a floppy disc drive, and the noise I hear sounds kind of like the noises floppy drives make.

edit:
    Found a vid of Doshin 2, it looks amazing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eC17mrAPGY
    Last edited by Chainclaw; 02-06-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the information Chainclaw.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm pretty positive you need a Japanese F-Zero X.

Man, another topic that reminds me that I still don't have one. Someday, man, someday...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I took a picture of my setup:

It looks exactly like every other picture of the 64DD with all the common games.

3 of the 4 Mario Artist games, and F-Zero Expansion kit were sealed when I took the picture yesterday. I've opened most of them by now

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I checked out a number of videos yesterday after reading this. Honestly, I didn't see anything that stood out, or that seemed particularly exciting about this add-on. Expansion packs were the craze back in the 90's, but I can't see it taking hold with the N64 players (mostly kids). Not unless it continued entirely new games, like a new Super Mario, for instance. Even then, the lesson of the SegaCD was people are not going to spending over a hundred or two hundred dollars for an add-on.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chainclaw View Post
    So I just picked one up, with all the common games. So far I've only played Doshin the Giant, and it's a pretty nifty game.

I've got a few questions and comments so far:

1, Does F-Zero X Level Editor work with the USA F-Zero X?
    2, Is the 64DD supposed to be so noisy?
    3, Is Doshin the Giant 2 worth tracking down? I'm not even going to bother with the Golf game, but more Doshin could be nifty.
    4, What's with the lazy do it yourself end stickers?
    5, What is your favorite software title for the platform?

What are your guys thoughts on this cool little piece of hardware? I've been dieing to get one for years, and I'm glad I finally picked one up.
    1, Nope you need a japanese version or you just get a warning screen.
    2, Well it's noisy but not extremely loud its just the disk drive thats the noise maker.
    3, Not unless your wanting to get a complete set of games as its absolutely crap, it's barely even a game, nothing like the first one. Nowhere near worth the extortionate price it goes for.
    4, Hehe no idea, maybe they gave you a choice so you could use the blank one to make your own label or use the printed one.
    5, I like talent studio out of all the disks it's the one disk i have the most fun with.

Had a 64DD rather a long time now & it's interesting as a novelty but eventually the fun does wear off, but i go back from time to tie to have a play on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GenocYder

It's not fair it was supposed to come out in the US for years, and I waited patiently and after they scrapped it I always felt cheated. As with the Perfect Dark / Gameboy Camera function that they did away with. Maybe next tax time I'll get one...
    -=-Proud owner of the Video Game Retirement Home-=-

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

In terms of price versus what you get out of it, a 64DD may not really be worth it, but if you're a huge fan of F-Zero X like I am, an expansion pack is definitely something worth getting excited about. It's got new cups, new music, and an extensive track editor. That game alone has sold quite a few 64DD add-ons to Westerners.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

But Aussie you still need a Japanese N64, which means even more money. Like the Virtual Boy, another project Nintendo wisely canceled. The impact would have been almost identical to the SegaCD, negative, and lost a ton of money.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wonder if the 64DD came out in the US..Would people just ignore it, I don't think people would get it..Remember the Sega CD & 32X friso

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i watched the videos, and they all look awful, im glad youre enjoying it, but id rather spend my money (more importantly, my time) playing games that are fun, and in english.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    I wonder if the 64DD came out in the US..Would people just ignore it, I don't think people would get it..Remember the Sega CD & 32X friso
    That's most likely one of the reasons they didn't release it here.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the other hand, the Famicom disk drive apparently did really really well for Nintendo in Japan.

I'm guessing they didn't release the 64DD in the US (and the Japanese release was so limited) because the project must have ran too long. They first showed it in 1995, and it was finally released December, 1999. The Dreamcast had been available in Japan for over a year at that point, and the PS2 was less than 6 months away.

I don't think the Sega CD was a commercial failure, the unit survived long enough to get seven separate hardware revision releases (Sega CD model 1, 2, CD-X, Aiwa Mega CD, Wondermega 1, Wondermega 2, LaserActive). They were releasing software for the Sega CD for what, 5 years? The 32X failed pretty hard, though, but that was as much due to the timing as it was to anything else.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The Famicom Disk System was somewhat of a failure, and it's perhaps the only system in history that died exclusively because of piracy. It actually got so bad that they just pulled them all from shelves in '89. Plus, a 128k cart came out months after the Disk System was released, making it pointless.

The Sega CD had its moments, but it was basically DOA.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heard the FDS eventually died due to piracy, but most major franchises we know in the US got their start on the FDS. Obviously I know very little about the FDS, but I've played plenty of pre-FDS Famicom games, and most of them are pretty awful. I'm talking Urban Champion awful.

Again, I can't imagine the Sega CD being a failure with 7 hardware revision, and five years of support.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chainclaw View Post
    I heard the FDS eventually died due to piracy, but most major franchises we know in the US got their start on the FDS. Obviously I know very little about the FDS, but I've played plenty of pre-FDS Famicom games, and most of them are pretty awful. I'm talking Urban Champion awful.

Again, I can't imagine the Sega CD being a failure with 7 hardware revision, and five years of support.
    Well, most pre-1986 Famicom games were pretty simple, but not bad. The Disk System also failed because third-parties wanting to develop for it had to give a certain amount of the rights to Nintendo, when they could just put it on a cart and have none of that.

The Sega CD wasn't a major failure, but it did a LOT worse in the marketplace than Sega thought it would. That was due to the lack of games.