Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games with bad cameras

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games with bad cameras

Although games with camera issues still come out (Ninja Gaiden II, I'm looking at you), it was a much bigger problem when 3D games were newer. I have noticed that a lot of old 3D games have fairly stationary cameras, and thus don't really have camera problems (Bug! and Crash Bandicoot for example). But anytime they tried a "dynamic" camera (a trend especially started with Mario 64 and Tomb Raider), there were always issues. And then there were also games with static backgrounds (like Resident Evil), which poses its own problems, but that's not really what I'm talking about.

What games had cameras that pissed you off? How many games have you died in just because the camera was acting goofy? Alternatively, what are some early examples of games with well-functioning cameras?

One of the worst offenders, to me, was Sonic Adventure. There were many times when the camera caused me to miss a jump, or accidentally fling myself off the edge of the level. I had the same problems in Mario 64 as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I found that Donkey Kong 64 was an utter disaster with camera angles. It hindered gameplay more than a few times during the quest. Lots of botched jumps and levels which took longer due to falling off of things and missdirected attacks.

I agree that Sonic Adventure's camera system was a hinder to many levels and jumps. It was a bit too twitchy and suffered a similar lack-of-movement-in-the-right-direction-when-you-need-it problem too.
    Last edited by Sonicwolf; 02-06-2009 at 03:55 AM.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red Ninja has a pretty bad camera. It wouldn't be so annoying if it the camera stick wasn't so sensitive. All the movement range seems to be in the first third of the stick's travel distance.

After a few playthroughs I've learned to rely more on the radar and don't need to adjust the camera so much. I think that's one of the main reasons of why the game got low scores. The game is decent but the camera will put people off.

Pear (Level 6) Reverend JagDiesel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario 64. Oh my God, I remember that game giving me massive headaches when I first played it. I'm not sure if it was the terrible camera angles, the straight edges that came and went on the characters, or the colors in the game combined with the other 2 I mentioned. I think it was a common issue on early N64 games, as the developers were not used to the technology...
    You can put a man on trial, but you can't make the guilty pay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to say that I didn't find the Mario 64 camera quite as bad as most people, the same goes for Sonic Adventure, although I will conceed that that was pretty poor. In recent times Sonic Rush has actually caused more annoyance than Sonic Adventure!

A lot of early 3D games seem to have had slightly troublesome cameras - even the good ones. Burning Rangers, for example, has annoyed the hell out of me more than once!

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GameOverRG

Madden 08 on ps3 .

I own it also for 360 and Im not sure if it's just me but every time after a play when the camera changes to close up's it focuses on the players in the back even though there are others up front and it just makes everything look out of focus.

It only does this on the ps3. Im using a component cable and have it set to 1080I . The 360 in on a vga cable.

I second that Mario 64 , I found myself constantly having to adjust the camera just to see .

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The "Futurama" game had a horrible camera that I had to fight most of the time.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Tomb Raiders.

Believe me.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    Seconded. The part of the sun level where Leela has to jump from pillar to pillar while they're sinking into lava pissed me off to no end. I had been playing the game on easy mode, and I had something like 17 extra lives in reserve. I lost them all on that one stage because the damn camera wouldn't keep up, and I ended up jumping into lava over and over. I gave up after I lost all but two lives.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gamebrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
    The Tomb Raiders.

Believe me.
    Seconded

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Resident Evil.

"You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found the camera in Mario 64 to be ok, especially as it was the first of it's kind. Yeah, there's moments when it gets stuck or simply won't go where you want it to, but for the most part it's pretty damn good. And certainly much better than efforts in later games, like the shit that is Tomb Raider.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No one said Sonic Adventure...

I had Problems with playing in one level with Knuckles

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    No one said Sonic Adventure...

I had Problems with playing in one level with Knuckles
    The original poster of the thread said Sonic Adventure. Look down there

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    One of the worst offenders, to me, was Sonic Adventure. There were many times when the camera caused me to miss a jump, or accidentally fling myself off the edge of the level. I had the same problems in Mario 64 as well.
    Sonic Adventure's camera stunk but it was still better than Mario 64.

For me, any basketball game which does NOT use what is commonly referred to as the "Action" cam has a shitty camera. "Action Cam"= A point of view which is generally behind the player who has the ball. The best immediate example would be the NBA 2K games on the Dreamcast.

Because I friggin' hate last gen basketball games which use the old Genesis NBA Live isometric view or the sidescrolling Double Dribble style perspective. I loved it back on the 8-bit/16-bit consoles and still love it on those platforms only but NOT on newer systems.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MissingNo_1231's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Croc on PS1 has some awful camera angles (and bad controls too).

40 Winks on PS1 can get annoying.

Mario 64 is certainly one that was frustrating, but I felt that Super Mario Sunshine was worse.

Oh, and Gex: Enter the Gecko on N64. Loved that game, but those camera angles were horrid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

silent hill- the bobbing and weaving of the camera made me sick to my stomach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    Yupp. Futurama. That camera had NO interest in what you were doing. It was off daydreaming and doing its own thing.

My vote goes to Indigo Prophecy. It has this annoying habit of switching views and throwing you completely off kilter.

For instance, you'll be running to the right and the view will switch. If you keep pushing the stick to the right you will all the sudden be heading in the wrong direction (sometimes back where you came from)

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Xena: Warrior Princess on the PS1 used to drive me - as Harlan Ellison would put it - bugf$&k crazy with its completely random camera angles that would swing out, in, or right through crap to favor God only knows what. Which is sad because otherwise, I kinda liked the game and its bizarre sense of humor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

The original Tomb Raider had some really bad angles when you had your back to a wall.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Castlevania 64 had some pretty awkward cameras, it sometimes got to the point where I was fighting the camera more than I was fighting the actual enemies around me. Then again, most 3D games from the PSX/N64 era had pretty bad cameras from what I remember, it was just an acceptable thing at the time.

I'll third, fourth and fifth Futurama. If I didn't love the show as much as I do, I would have never bothered to beat the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Seconded. The part of the sun level where Leela has to jump from pillar to pillar while they're sinking into lava pissed me off to no end. I had been playing the game on easy mode, and I had something like 17 extra lives in reserve. I lost them all on that one stage because the damn camera wouldn't keep up, and I ended up jumping into lava over and over. I gave up after I lost all but two lives.
    There was a simple trick for that level that I learned after losing countless lives. If I remember correctly, you could just stay standing on the first pillar and easily jump across somehow.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre