Thread: 8-/ garage SALES! GARAGE SALES!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 8-/ garage SALES! GARAGE SALES!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!

I've been to nearly 50 garage sales in my area in the last 2 days. All I have to show for it is a loose NES deck and controller for a dollar. Found next to nothing. One idiot had a ps1 with 200 burned games for $200. BURNED GAMES ARE FSCKING WORTHLESS!!!! (I told him so)

And I am really sick of seeing $200 N64's with wobbly sticks and 4 loose sports and wrestling titles. x_x

E fricking GADS!!!

Oh man. I need a find.

At two thrifts this weekend I got a stuffed Sonic, and a third party Game Gear carry case.

/starts weeping

... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It will get better .ITs dry around here too so I feel what your going through >

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thrusday is garage sale day in my home town. All I found was a loose NES deck with five loose commons the lady wanted $50 for. Needless to say, I passed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: 8-/ garage SALES! GARAGE SALES!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    I've been to nearly 50 garage sales in my area in the last 2 days. All I have to show for it is a loose NES deck and controller for a dollar. Found next to nothing. One idiot had a ps1 with 200 burned games for $200. BURNED GAMES ARE FSCKING WORTHLESS!!!! (I told him so)

And I am really sick of seeing $200 N64's with wobbly sticks and 4 loose sports and wrestling titles. x_x

E fricking GADS!!!

Oh man. I need a find.

At two thrifts this weekend I got a stuffed Sonic, and a third party Game Gear carry case.

/starts weeping

There are finds to be had in Canada...scope my garage sale find in the Weekend Finds section...not to be cruel, but trust me..they're out here, even in this land of spartan deals....
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sometimes I can go for weeks without finding something good. But I still keep at it. I find really good deals at garage sales that I could never find at a pawn shop. Like working Power Pads for the NES

Last week I had my car FILLED with games and game consoles. This week all I could find was a genesis with one game & Super Maro Bros 3. for 25 cents Try getting that at a pawn shop/flea market/thrift store.
    ~Rich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't expect to find any games at yard/garage sales when I go hunting. If I expect to find something, and don't, it is of course aggravating. But, when I go with the train of thought that most likely they will have nothing, I find some great stuff. Murphy's Law? Who knows. But if you stick to it and keep hitting those sales you are bound to find some games evetually...and when you do find that score all of your hunting will have paid off!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in Canada and I always find videogames at garage sales. In my area (Toronto) the beginning of the garage sale season is the best. It gets worse as the summer goes on. Now when I say I always find videogames that doesn't mean I always buy them. You get those people who think the crusty old NES deck is worth $100 since they paid more for it years ago but the good deals are out there. I also pass up any common NES, Genesis, or 2600 games I find and I find a lot since they just aren't worth picking up.
    My finds just for today was a mint boxed Playstation system with 3 games for $20 and a loose N64 for $15. Stuff I passed up was a Genesis system with no games for $15 and a SMS with no games for $25. Just not worth it for me. Keep in mind this was a rainy day when most sales had been cancelled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually find something I am happy with at least once a month. Sometimes it is two or three times a month. These finds are not always great or rare, but it is stuff I want. My collection is small enough where I still need many commons to go. But the stuff which is dirt common, I probably have. So it can be tough to find scores, especially for Atari. However, my Nes collecting is going quite well. Keep going and when you don't find anything, think of all the times you did find something. It also helps if you are looking for other things. I have a look out for records and my roommate collects anime items (Hello Kitty and a lot more) and she also collects My Little Ponies. You'll find stuff if you keep looking and know where to look. I have certain patterns I do. I don't hit the same spots each week, I rotate through. I hope the hunt starts going better for you!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive just started collecting video games recently so i havent had much experience with garage/yard sales. Ive had most of my luck just asking friends and there siblings if they'd be willing to sell certain things thats how i got my sega genesis and about 10 of my games in the last like 2 weeks.
    You suck at life so i win

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Get out there early

The biggest key to garage sales that I have found is "Get Out There Early". You have to remember there is probably another collector out there just like you and he will buy that stuff. I always start my rounds and about 7:00 in the morning. That and you always ask the owners if they are selling any video game stuff. Alot of times they never bring it out because they think knowbody wants to buy something that old. Not going to any garage sales this weekend have to work. But last weekend pickedup 10 loose NES carts for $0.25 a piece, and a couple of rare Boxed SNES games for 2 bucks. Didnt get much but better that nothin.
    I like Nintendo's, They are Super.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The biggest key to garage sales that I have found is "Get Out There Early". You have to remember there is probably another collector out there just like you and he will buy that stuff. I always start my rounds and about 7:00 in the morning. That and you always ask the owners if they are selling any video game stuff. Alot of times they never bring it out because they think knowbody wants to buy something that old. Not going to any garage sales this weekend have to work. But last weekend pickedup 10 loose NES carts for $0.25 a piece, and a couple of rare Boxed SNES games for 2 bucks. Didnt get much but better that nothin.
    Great Advice!

I did all that at all 47 sales. Guess how I got the loose NES deck with controller for a buck. Hmm. I've never seen a garage sale open before 9 am around here.

I started on Thursday, and had hit 30 odd sales by Friday at 4. Just an unlucky weekend I guess. x_x I "did' see some vidgame stuff, of course. Many worthless thing with triple digit asking prices. I saw a loose PICO with 2 games (I have a boxed PICO) for $100 firm. I actually go so far as to leave my card (Video game repair business card) behind at places like that, and tell them to try to sell it, and if they don't, to call me after.

My mind should be healed enough to try again next week.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    I've never seen a garage sale open before 9 am around here.
    Being someone who used to hold a lot of yard sales I can tell you one thing for certain: the open time means NOTHING. If you look like you'll have good stuff people start coming around at about 6:30-7 no matter what time you say it starts. These people are really aggressive, too, wanting to offer you $2 for a 27" color tv or $5 for the oak hutch you're still trying to lug out from the basement. They're relentless and easily aggravated.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You might call it the light at the end of the tunnel. If you ever get to Chicago,Il the last weekend in July. Check out what is billed as
    "The Worlds Largest Garage Sale" held in a real parking garage in Evanston
    (a nearby suburb). Every year I go there I always find something good