Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Ocean 4: Now with less anime!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Star Ocean 4: Now with less anime!

http://gaygamer.net/2009/02/star_oce...to_us_now.html

am i the only one who thinks the new art style sucks??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dig the anime portraits but I dig consistency between the portraits and the ingame artwork a bit more. Maybe if the character artwork was a bit more anime-ish (like, say, the Tales of series) then I'd prefer the Japanese releases' interface, but in this case I think it worked out ok for us in the US.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

That is lame as hell.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's completely idiotic. Changing to CG isn't going to convince Joe six-pack who only plays Halo and Madden to give this game a second glance on the store shelf at Wal Mart. This is only going to annoy their existing fans who were already planning on purchasing the game. As if this weren't annoying enough, they're also removing the onsen scene from the game because "Americans wouldn't understand it" and they were afraid of getting an M rating.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't have any particular love for the cartoon drawings nor do I dislike the CG portraits. I actually think they're very well done. But this is just surprising to me. Talk about a throw back to the 8 bit era. It just feels unnecessary and slightly archaic. These taboos were already on the decline by the mid to late 90s and went completely out the window when Final Fantasy VII became a smash hit. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the trend started to reverse a few years back when anime became the "in" thing with the Dragonball Z boom and the like.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-10-2009 at 05:33 PM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I ask again, why won't they make this optional? I prefer the Japanese versions, the US artwork clashes with the game...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dairugger View Post
    http://gaygamer.net/2009/02/star_oce...to_us_now.html

am i the only one who thinks the new art style sucks??
    All I knew about were the "new style" visuals. I was about to buy the game based off that alone. So, no. I definitely don't think it sucks.

I decided to skip the game because I did a little research by playing a bit of previous games in the series, and found I didn't like the franchise's typical formula or the combat system the game is alleged to have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Talk about a "big" deal over nothing...

I prefer the US version. If the characters are rendered in Anime in the actual game (recent example: Tales of Vesperia), then the character portraits should reflect that. Obviously, the character portraits in the US version match this game's art style. What's the big deal?

For the people that have been following this game, you'll notice there is little "outrage" or even concern from fans. JRPG fans don't really care. Probably because the US version actually looks better to most of us.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 02-10-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Added picture.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

as a jrpg player who has no love for the anime art style, i welcome the change. no, having anime portraits wouldn't make me not buy the game, but it would irritate me having to look at them all the time.

don't see how a toggle option would hurt them, though.

of what should be of concern, that no one is raising a fuss about is the fact the this is 2009, and the devs are still using the tired old 'text box with portrait' dialog presentation. and japanese devs wonder why they're being left in the dust.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Regardless of whether or not the redesign looks better (and a hell of an argument can be made that it does), it's still a pretty strange choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

I'd be more likely to give a damn if the game was for anything I owned. As such, they could give it the GTA/Madden treatment and I still wouldnt care. After SO3, the series didnt feel the same.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Letiumtide's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

While I'm not personally pleased with it, I will give it a nod for a much more fluid feel throughout the game.

I guess the real truth is though I'd rather it be entirely cell-shaded with the anime portraits. Why?

Just look at this crap.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/socean/...ganda/so49.jpg

The anime character looks like she could be between the ages of 14 and 18. Whereas the 3D version looks like she's 8... maybe 10? It's horrific and disgustingly wrong.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Suppose they were taking the opportunity of the separate release to make the portraits and UI more consistent with the ingame graphics? Nah you're right, that can't be it. They must be only seeking to deprive us of its Japanese purity! How dare they.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze
    I'd be more likely to give a damn if the game was for anything I owned. As such, they could give it the GTA/Madden treatment and I still wouldnt care. After SO3, the series didnt feel the same.
    Star Ocean 3 is the last game in the series chronologically, while SO 4 is the first. The whole "4D" thing will not be featured in this game at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Suppose they were taking the opportunity of the separate release to make the portraits and UI more consistent with the ingame graphics? Nah you're right, that can't be it. They must be only seeking to deprive us of its Japanese purity! How dare they.
    Why would they not just make them CG in the first place if that were the case? Your post makes no sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
    Why would they not just make them CG in the first place if that were the case? Your post makes no sense.
    To better appeal to the Japanese market, of course. Same reason why they redesign characters like Ratchet & Clank or Sly Cooper to be more animeish when the games get taken over there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Talk about a "big" deal over nothing...
    Really, is that it? The faces on the status bars changed? From the original post, I was thinking it was something more far reaching and pervasive.

To tell the truth, the one with the anime faces looks like the modified version. It looks cheaper and more half-assed too.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by AlphaGamer; 02-20-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Really, is that it? The faces on the status bars changed? From the original post, I was thinking it was something more far reaching and pervasive.

To tell the truth, the one with the anime faces looks like the modified version. It looks cheaper and more half-assed too.
    No, that's not it. Read my other post, they removed an entire scene from the game.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post

It's that it was changed. That's all the huffing is about, regardless of how insignificant the change was. It's one way over there, it's another way over here - there must be a reason for it, and that reason must automatically be bad. Also, the way it is over here is automatically worse or inferior in some way.

It'd be the same deal if the differences were reversed. Except instead the complaint would be about how they're trying to appeal to kids with anime faces while denying us the more accurate realism that's enjoyed in the Japanese version.

With the "removed scene", same deal. If the shoe were on the other foot, the issue would be that they added useless fluff to cater to Western audiences (which is, of course, bad). That perhaps it was removed because it pertained to some obscure particular of Japanese culture that simply isn't translatable in a way that anyone outside of Japan would remotely understand, is a notion that's not considered. They're changing something, they're removing something, so they're depriving us of some part of that Japanese purity. End of story.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    It's that it was changed. That's all the huffing is about, regardless of how insignificant the change was. It's one way over there, it's another way over here - there must be a reason for it, and that reason must automatically be bad. Also, the way it is over here is automatically worse or inferior in some way.

It'd be the same deal if the differences were reversed. Except instead the complaint would be about how they're trying to appeal to kids with anime faces while denying us the more accurate realism that's enjoyed in the Japanese version.

With the "removed scene", same deal. If the shoe were on the other foot, the issue would be that they added useless fluff to cater to Western audiences (which is, of course, bad). That perhaps it was removed because it pertained to some obscure particular of Japanese culture that simply isn't translatable in a way that anyone outside of Japan would remotely understand, is a notion that's not considered. They're changing something, they're removing something, so they're depriving us of some part of that Japanese purity. End of story.
    Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean that other people don't. Last time I checked, we had hot tubs and steam rooms here in the US, as well. Plenty of other JRPGs and anime contain onsen scenes, which many people who purchase the game will have seen and played. You making broad generalizations and patronizing comments just goes to show you have no interest in the subject matter and aren't taking it seriously. People who buy JRPGs are a specific group, and they know what they're getting when they buy them. This move by Square-Enix's USA division just shows that they don't know their fanbase at all. I'm beginning to think that Atlus is the only JRPG publisher who does. They go to great lengths to keep games as close to the original version as possible, such as including honorifics in the dialogue of many games and giving out pre-order bonuses (everyone who buys SO 4 in Japan gets a free faceplate, and it's not even available here).