Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box

so I finally own a game that features DLC I have to buy now, instead of just downloading it for free, like usual... EA are indeed evil... so how much will it cost me to buy all the DLC coming out for this game this year? anyone know yet? I'm not familiar with how this works for the consoles, and I've seen no mention of it in the manual or on the website, so what's the story on this BS? how much should I expect to pay for new cars and new racing environments?
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$2k monies

--Zero

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Bullshit?

Really?

Burnout Paradise has had two entire rounds of full-fledged and totally FREE content over the course of the year.

Criterion and EA have given away lots features and vehicles that they could have easily charged for.

While it's very easy to cry foul on EA for having too much pay content, Burnout Paradise is not the game to do it with.

The Party Pack which features a bunch of offline play modes is around $10

The skinny on the rest of the forthcoming modes and features can be found there.http://www.criteriongames.com/
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering how Criterion has done more in terms of downloadable content then just about anyone... and gave it all away for free, I think you're a little off base. The party pack is just for offline multi-player turn based play, so hey guess what, it's great for parties... but not for much else. You can skip it without missing out on anything and you still get new content that criterion published the day after for free! Now go and spread the love.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

You can actually buy this entire package on PC.

Seriously!
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    You can actually buy this entire package on PC.

Seriously!
    exactly... I already paid $50 for the game and all of last year's free stuff, so I'm not too keen on having to pay even more for all the new stuff this year... I'll buy it, but I'm just wondering how much all the new stuff is gonna sell for... I didn't see anything on their website about pricing, except you can get all the new cars for less by buying them in bundles, instead of individually

I can understand paying more for the Island, since it will give you a whole new section of the city to drive in, but why should I have to pay for a few new cars? every other PC racing game I own that offers additional cars gives them away for free, so I don't like the idea of having to buy additional cars, even for a small fee... if such things become the new standard, everyone is gonna start charging for DLC... which is fine for the consoles, but not fine for the PC... DLC has always been free on the PC, so it should stay that way... and it prolly would, if EA wasn't involved in it... greedy bastards just trying to suck even more money out of gamers for their own profit... like the typical EA game these days doesn't cost enough at around $50 when it's first released!

Get BIT!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    I'll buy it

Way to support that which you complain about!
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elysiun
    PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

Well, I don't think any prices have been made official yet, but you can make an educated guess based on what DLC typically costs for other games. Big Surf will probably be $10, the cars will like go for around $2 each or $6-8 in the packs, and the other expansions, like the newly announced Cops & Robbers, will likely be $5-$10 depending on how much content they bring to the game. I could see Boost Specials being free since it's only 2 new cars, but you just never know, I mean they've given us bigger updates than that for free in the past.

So...ballpark figure... I'd say expect to spend around $30-$35 on DLC this year, and that's including the Party Pack DLC. Right now I'm only planning on picking up the Legendary Cars pack myself, because I like the idea of driving the DeLorean and the ECTO-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well that doesn't sound too bad, especially since I already got the Party Pack for free with the Ultimate Box... I'm still not too keen on paying for stuff like new cars though, especially knowing that far more than that was given away for free last year... obviously, EA cracked the whip on Criterion and told them that they're gonna have to start charging for their DLC... big surprise there...

oh well, after watching all the Criterion podcasts from last year, I feel alot better about having to pay for their DLC this year... although I still shudder to think what gaming will become soon, if their methods catch on at other studios... sure, what they're doing is revolutionary, but not all revolutions end well... and this one seems like it may be poised to change the industry for the worse, as far as the idea of paying for DLC goes... but on the other hand, if more studios would spend several years adding new content to their existing games, instead of just cranking out more new games every year, it could end up saving me more money than it costs me, so we'll see how it turns out... and at least I won't have to buy all the DLC at the same time!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have a problem with Burnout's DLC at all. It not like some other titles where they cheap out on the disc content and then expect users to buy DLC to get the "full" experience. You can easily get 40-50 hours out of Burnout just on the single player - if people want to pay a few bucks for some gimmick vehicles or $10 for a new area to drive in to extend that, then I think that's great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well I'm 1/3 of the way to checking it all out in triple wide screen HD now... my parents just bought me a new 24" flat screen HP HD monitor with portait & landscape display capabilities... now if I could just persuade them to buy me 2 more just like it... I really wish I could talk them into it... that would RULE!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well that doesn't sound too bad, especially since I already got the Party Pack for free with the Ultimate Box... I'm still not too keen on paying for stuff like new cars though, especially knowing that far more than that was given away for free last year... obviously, EA cracked the whip on Criterion and told them that they're gonna have to start charging for their DLC... big surprise there...

oh well, after watching all the Criterion podcasts from last year, I feel alot better about having to pay for their DLC this year... although I still shudder to think what gaming will become soon, if their methods catch on at other studios... sure, what they're doing is revolutionary, but not all revolutions end well... and this one seems like it may be poised to change the industry for the worse, as far as the idea of paying for DLC goes... but on the other hand, if more studios would spend several years adding new content to their existing games, instead of just cranking out more new games every year, it could end up saving me more money than it costs me, so we'll see how it turns out... and at least I won't have to buy all the DLC at the same time!
    well on the console u coulda just picked up the original paradise for cheap and got the updates for free, bar the party pack which you may or may not need.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Legendary Cars comes out for the consoles this Thursday... PC gets to wait about a month, but at least I get a warning to save up for them... only $10 total individually, or only $8 for the bundle... the 88 Special is $4, and the other 3 cars are only $2 each... I guess the hover on the 88 is expensive!

also, apparently Burnout Paradise is one of the first PC games to utilise Nvidia's new 3D Vision technology... so if I had an Nvidia graphics card that supports it and a GeForce 3D Vision kit, complete with an HD monitor that supports it, I could play it in 3D... imagine that on 3 widescreen HD LCD's!

supposedly the 3D Vision lets you see into the screen rather than out of it, so it sounds like Virtual Boy in full color... if that's what it is, I wish I had all the hardware to check it out, but I'd prolly have to build a whole new system to try it, unless Nvidia is kind enough to still support AGP slots, which I doubt

so I'll just stick with what I have for now, and see if the price of a new 3D system becomes more affordable, if it even catches on enough to bother... it does sound very cool though... I wish ATI had done it instead of Nvidia... then I might already have everything I need to enjoy it... or at least be able to get an AGP version of the video card that makes it possible... but for Nvidia owners, your current GeForce card may already support it, so all you need is the 3D Vision kit with the stereoscopic glasses, and maybe a new HD LCD monitor, if you don't already have one that supports the 3D Vision tech

sounds awesome! especially if all you need is the glasses & monitor for $600!

too bad it's so expensive, but it may be worth it, if you're in the market for a new system anyway... then all you have to do is spend about $1000 - $2000

more info here and here

DROOL...
    Last edited by Iron Draggon; 02-17-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Get BIT!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Pity it's not for a better game...
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    What!? This game is too awesome. I have 10 hours or so and only got 25% done, and can't wait to go for more. This is one of the few games which has me coming back for more.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I rented it when it first came out. It destroyed everything, and I mean everything, I ever liked about the Burnout franchise. I've seen they've added a few things that have improved matters, but not enough to ever want to play it again. Let alone spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to make it look more 3D / realistic or whatever.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I rented it when it first came out. It destroyed everything, and I mean everything, I ever liked about the Burnout franchise. I've seen they've added a few things that have improved matters, but not enough to ever want to play it again. Let alone spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to make it look more 3D / realistic or whatever.
    QFT Agreed. Where is my Crash Mode DLC Expansion set for Burnout Revenge?
    #vbender

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Hmm true about the crash mode, that was insane and addicting. I thought it came out pretty well following it from the first one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it works with hundreds of other games, old and new... and I assume more will be added as the drivers are expanded to include support for even more titles

it even works with Roller Coaster Tycoon, still the best selling PC game ever made, unless some crap FPS finally broke RCT's sales records at some point

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sounds awesome! especially if all you need is the glasses & monitor for $600!
    Ok, not trying to troll here, but you complained about how much console gaming costs, yet you act like $600 is chump change for a monitor and some 3d glasses. Yeah the effect sounds cool, but that's still a lot of money for what is essentially a peripheral of sorts. I don't get it.