Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Rise from your grave, ancient topic!

Let's hear what some of the newer members have to say.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect for the Sega Master System, and I estimate I've got about 160 games for it right now. I have other consoles, but I don't "collect" for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

1. Working Designs games (only 1 on playstation left, but a few to go on other consoles)
    2. Sega CD (Plenty To Go)
    3. Long Box Playstation games (I think I have about... 25?)
    4. Playstation games in general (Not really trying for a full set, but I own about 200)
    5. Any game I owned as a kid that I sold (only about 10-20 of those left)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 8-bit

Definately 8-bit stuff. I don't know why it appeals to me, but it is what I collect. Pirate Famicom, NES, SMS, Gamegear, Gameboy/Color...

BTW: If anyone has a Master Gear or Gear Master or two laying around in their trade pile, I would madly appreciate getting a hold of it. I am egtting my Street Fighter II' in the mail from Brazil next week and my SMS I isn't compatible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mainly collect games that I want to play.

My N64 collection just reached 35 games, I there's probably only two or three 'must have' games I want to get.

Until recently, I had a lot of focus on the SNES, but - as with the N64, there's not a whole lot I desperately want. Probably about 10 or so titles I really want.

Dreamcast tends to get the most attention at the moment - and I have a LONG way to go if I want to get all the games I'm looking for. Fortunately, good games are always popping up and DC games are the fastest growing percentage of my collection.

Saturn, whilst I try to focus on it, just isn't as common to pick up games for - and as such, can be neglected at times.

I've recently also gone on a PSX game collecting spree, and I'm trying to pick up all the games I liked in that era, yet missed out on due to my N64 fetish in the late 90's.

Occasionally I'll pick up a NES game, if it's cheap and is good - but NES doesn't interest me in a huge way, as it was an era I never got into.

Not frequently, but consistently, I will buy games for the current consoles (GCN, Xbox, PS2). It's just not frequent due to the prices of new games being quite expensive.

All my other consoles (Lynx, GBC, Game Gear, GBA, 2600, Mega Drive, Mega CD and Master System) I just don't really buy games for. I mean, I look for games (especially Mega CD) but they either don't interest me (Lynx, Mega Drive), are too expensive (Game Gear, GBA), or just impossible to find (Mega CD).

So yeah - essentially I'm a Dreamcast collector, with a bit of N64, SNES and Saturn on the side.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I never posted in this topic was new so...

What I collect for:

Master System
    Genesis
    Game Gear
    Sega CD
    Saturn
    Dreamcast
    NES
    GameBoy
    SNES
    N64
    GameCube
    Apple II
    Commodore64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, I never posted in this thread, just several similar ones.
    I'm principally collecting PAL Master System (171 games right now, I think) and Megadrive (155), and also MegaCD, 32X, Gamegear and Dreamcast, though not as seriously.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mainly collect for the NES (I have about 300+ unique games). I try to get SMS games, but there are very few around here...

But of cource I buy any games that I come across if it is a good deal! I have about 100+ games for various consoles that I do NOT HAVE! (Saturn, Sega CD, 32X Virtual Boy, Intellivision...)
    ~Rich

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Collecting

I'm pretty sure I posted in a similar thread before..

These days I'm mostly a PC gamer (FPS & strategy games) and classic arcade game nut. However, the GameCube has had some great time-suck titles such as Metroid Prime and Animal Crossing. IMO the GameCube is the best console since the NES.

I collect because 1. I've always been collecting something (started with Star Wars figures), 2. I'm a gamer, and 3. nostalgia. I only focus on systems that have some memory for me, such as:
    1. The Atari 5200 - sure, my family had a 2600, but I really got into console games when we bought one of these babies. I have 16 games to go until completing this collection.
    2. Vectrex - I always wanted one of these systems but could never con err convince my paremts to get one. I'm less than 10 titles away from completing this collection.
    3. Nintendo NES - this is my prime collection. I received the ROB set and about 8 games for xmas when it came out. This was my system, not the family's. I spent a crapload of time with it, including 24 hours straight with Zelda. Years later I worked for a video store with hundreds of NES games that I had to stock. I greedily eyeballed each one. Then I went off to college and sold my home collection for spending money. Now I'm 75 games away from completing the US collection, although I may never complete it due to the cost prohibitiveness of around 5 games.
    4. Virtual Boy - this is just a cool system - I love VR type stuff. 5 games away from completing this one.

And then I pick up just about anything decently priced in my adventures for finishing my four video game collections. Sometimes I clear out the extra stuff I find, other times I start new collections. I've got so much extra stuff I need to start trading or eBaying soon.

- ARCZero

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first post!

I'm more of a player than a collector (no, really I'm the guy that had 3 E.T. carts in possession and busted them all open to build a few homebrews for personal use for the 2600 and didn't leave a single one for the "collection").

I'm mainly focused on the Atari 2600 (150 carts), Colecovision (30 carts) and Sega Saturn (100 games - mostly imports as I don't care for much of what was released in the US). I'm more of a collector by genere - with shmups being first and foremost and platform games being also pretty popular (so I don't have too many SNES, NES, Genesis, PC Engine, etc. games but what I do have is pretty much a 2D shooter or a 2D platform game with the occasional good puzzle game or 2D fighter).
    DaveB
    llabnip

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect game consoles, not systems (C64, GBA), but consoles and am up to 56 unique consoles...that is to say 56 consoles that dont play the same games (save for backwards compatible consoles)...I have about 70 or so consoles all together.

1292 series (Hanimex 1392)
    A'Can Funtech (info on this system will be coming soon to the DP)
    Amstrad GX4000
    Atari 2600
    Atari 5200
    Atari 7800
    Atari Jaguar
    Atari Jaguar CD
    Atari XE GS
    Bally Astrocade
    Bandai Playdia
    Casio Loopy
    Casio PV-1000
    Coleco Telstar Arcade
    ColecoVision
    Commodore 64 GS
    Emerson Arcadia 2001
    Epoch CassetteVision
    Epoch Super Cassette Vision
    Epoch SCV Lady Edition
    FairChild Channel F
    FM Townes Marty
    Intertron VC4000
    Magnavox Odyssey2
    Mattel Intellivision
    Memorex VIS
    Microsoft XBOX
    NEC PC-FX
    NEC SuperGrafx
    NEC Turbo Duo
    NEC Turbo Grafx 16
    NEC Turbo Grafx CD
    Neo Geo AES
    Neo Geo CD
    Nintendo (NES)
    Famicom Disk System
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo GameCube
    Super Nintendo
    Nintendo Virtual Boy
    Panasonic 3DO
    Philips CD-I
    Pioneer LaserActive
    RCA Studio II
    Sega 32x
    Sega CD
    Sega Genesis
    Sega Master System
    Sega Dreamcast
    Sega Saturn
    Sega SG-1000
    Sony Playstation
    Sony Playstation2
    Vectrex
    ViewMaster InteractiveVision
    Vtech Creativision

this list doesnt include my consoles such as my SHarp Twin Famicom or Mark III, my Odyssey (not a console), or my different versions of the same console (Rowtron TV Computer, same as VC4000)...
    one time collector of consoles...I've had them all, literally. I'm now selling everything to raise money for Northwest Harvest, a charity that provides food and clothing for families in need in the Northwestern United States.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: What do you collect? V2.0

Good call on not resurrecting the poll part of my idea, Cap'n, and I think this way it's much more interesting. It was neat to watch the numbers tally up, but I don't think it would be terribly easy to set up a poll that let people discuss what they collected (barring the ability to do a multi-choice, which wouldn't work in the normal forum system anyway...hmm, interesting idea...)

For myself, I collect titles for the MSX2 (perhaps some MSX stuff as well), Famicom, Super Famicom, Japanese Mega Drive, Sharp x68000, Neo Geo, a few N64 titles, GameBoy, and hopefully some Japanese PS2 stuff soon.

Series-wise, I try to pick up any Makaimura, Metroid, Shinobi, Akumajo Dracula and Contra stuff I can find. I have picked up every copy of Akumajo Dracula x68000 I have seen for sale, though to be fair there may be more where I got the last one from (don't tell me it's so, because then I'll have to buy a third).

I recently acquired installments 4, 5, 6, and 4 "Easytype" from the Japanese releases of the Final Fantasy series. They're not in the best shape ever, but for now this has quenched my thirst to pick those up for whatever reason caused me to want them (I don't play Final Fantasy games.)

I do try to collect all prototype/store display hardware I can find, as well as other odd (and aesthetically pleasing) variants of hardware such as the approximately 1.2 million variants of Sega hardware known to man for systems like the Mega Drive (I disregard NES/Famicom hardware because it's ugly).

So far my dilligent attempts to uncover a copy of the elusive C64 title "The Last Ninja" or any of its offspring have proven fruitless, so I continue to be without a last ninja in my collection.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    I only collect for The King of Consoles:

Atari 2600

Cheers,

Marco
    so you collect playstation stuff huh?
    hahah.
    think about it
    it survived even after the psx2 was released!
    Lead, Follow , or get the F*** out of my way !

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by can_dude
    I collect game consoles, not systems (C64, GBA), but consoles and am up to 56 unique consoles...that is to say 56 consoles that dont play the same games (save for backwards compatible consoles)...I have about 70 or so consoles all together.

1292 series (Hanimex 1392)
    A'Can Funtech (info on this system will be coming soon to the DP)
    Amstrad GX4000
    Atari 2600
    Atari 5200
    Atari 7800
    Atari Jaguar
    Atari Jaguar CD
    Atari XE GS
    Bally Astrocade
    Bandai Playdia
    Casio Loopy
    Casio PV-1000
    Coleco Telstar Arcade
    ColecoVision
    Commodore 64 GS
    Emerson Arcadia 2001
    Epoch CassetteVision
    Epoch Super Cassette Vision
    Epoch SCV Lady Edition
    FairChild Channel F
    FM Townes Marty
    Intertron VC4000
    Magnavox Odyssey2
    Mattel Intellivision
    Memorex VIS
    Microsoft XBOX
    NEC PC-FX
    NEC SuperGrafx
    NEC Turbo Duo
    NEC Turbo Grafx 16
    NEC Turbo Grafx CD
    Neo Geo AES
    Neo Geo CD
    Nintendo (NES)
    Famicom Disk System
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo GameCube
    Super Nintendo
    Nintendo Virtual Boy
    Panasonic 3DO
    Philips CD-I
    Pioneer LaserActive
    RCA Studio II
    Sega 32x
    Sega CD
    Sega Genesis
    Sega Master System
    Sega Dreamcast
    Sega Saturn
    Sega SG-1000
    Sony Playstation
    Sony Playstation2
    Vectrex
    ViewMaster InteractiveVision
    Vtech Creativision

this list doesnt include my consoles such as my SHarp Twin Famicom or Mark III, my Odyssey (not a console), or my different versions of the same console (Rowtron TV Computer, same as VC4000)...
    your getting close.
    where is your pcengine LT ? hahaha
    Lead, Follow , or get the F*** out of my way !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Redux.

Wow. Last time I posted in this topic I didn't even know what Beatmania was.

Well, I liquidated my collection in an attempt to kill the collecting bug but...it didn't work. The little bastard never dies. ^_^

I have recently begun collecting Konami's Bemani series, and PS2 games (in that order, pretty much)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my house we have several game systems and they're all hooked up to a TV and get played.

Sega DC: It's my daughters. I don't really collect for it but I do look for good games for her all the time. Half of her expanding libray is from my contributions.

PSOne: This is my son's system, I mildly collect for this one and I try to buy him collectible games that he'll enjoy playing.

PS2: My system. I consider this a collectible and I'm trying to build up a good library of games and PS2 add-ons.

Super Famicom and Super NES: My system. Right now my main collectible.

Sega Nomad. My system. This is my secondary collectible. I really need to pick up a Genesis console with the Sega CD and 32x so I can give my Nomad a rest.

Sega Game Gear. My system. I just want the TV add-on but I do try to pick up good games for it when the price is right.

Virtual Boy. My system. I don't collect for this. If I found games in the wild I'd buy them but the VB is such a pain in the neck to play. It sits on my desk at work.

Game Cube: Family System. I just try to buy games for that the whole family can enjoy.

I plan on adding the following systems sooner or later
    3DO
    Jaguar with CD add-on.
    NEC Consoles
    Sega Saturn
    NEO GEO

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I mostly collect what would be considered "neo-classic," namely NES, SNES, Genesis, NGPC, Saturn, GB/C, and if they're considered neo-classic yet, PS-X and DC. I wish I could afford Neo Geo AES stuff, but alas, I'm about as broke as I was before I found DP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I mainly collect for the Atari 2600. I hope to have a 'complete' first party NTSC collection somewhat soon with game and manual, as well as the three PAL exclusives. And then continue to chip away at the third party titles...

I'm dabbling with the 5200, Saturn, and Turbografx 16 as well, but am leaning towards getting only games that are fun...

I have the following systems VCS, A52, A78, LYX, JAG, JCD, C64, AMI, NES, SNE, N64, GBC, GBA, GC, TEX, DUO, GEN, SCD, 32X, SAT, DC, 3DO, PS2 and am just shy of 1000 games...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect what is most readily available in my area. Basically that consists of the following:

NES
    SNES
    SMS
    Genesis
    Game Gear

My personal fav is the SMS though
    Taste The Rainbow!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right now I collect basically only the top games for the systems that I own. I do have certain categories that I will buy any game for even if I wouldnt buy it on the merit of the gameplay.

For example...

1.) Treasure Games....any and all...recently trying to get into the games that the team developed before they became treasure.

2.) Metal Gear Series (any part of the series from either the US or Japan. I collect all versions of the same game from both countries, along with any MG toys I can find)

3.) Along with the metal gear series, any hideo kojima related games...again all versions...

4.) Bungie Developed Games....you all know them from Halo but I was a huge Myth Series fanatic at one time in my life. I collect anything from the Marathon, Myth, and Halo Series including toys. (Damn anyone have a Bandai Pippin Super Marathon cartridge they want to donate to me????)

5.) Metroid Series....again like the Metal Gear...pretty much the same...interested in toys too but I only know of the Samus figure

6.) Zelda Series...same as Metroid/Metal gear minus the toys...but might get into those later when I own my own place and a gameroom to put them in

Thats basically it for the 'I will collect anything related to it' categories. However, I do own a PS2, Xbox (only own Halo though), Dreamcast, Sega CDX, Super Famicom, Famicom, and hope to get a Famicom Disk System while I am in Japan.

Right now I am in Japan and only have my Famicom and Super Famicom. I plan on focusing on the best 30 or so Japanese games for those while I am in Japan. After that I would love to get into Megadrive, Turbo Duo, and Saturn.

Again aside for the above categories, I just like to collect and play the games. In the case of the Famicom or Super Famicom unless it falls into the above games I dont even need it with a box or manual as long as the cartridge is in mint condition.

...sorry for the long post...cheers