Thread: guess the game... (Need help)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default guess the game... (Need help)

ok. Need help remembering the name of this game. no better place to ask right?

here is what I remember.

Ca 1994?

type: puzzle game

game premise:
    you were a spherical shaped dude (kinda like qbert) and had to move blocks around an such to get things to line up and get some object (or the guy, I can't remember which) to the other end of the puzzle

other details:
    I bought it at the dollar store on a 3.5 floppy
    I think it was a shareware trial
    had 2.5d graphics (prerendered 3D ) iirc
    the name of the game was the main character's name iirc
    game music was some vg music version of "dance of the sugar plum fairies"
    could be in iso view sold along side "vinyl goddess from mars"

thanks for the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie_says_relax
    With all the recent "Imagine" series (which are pretty much VERY sexist representations of what "young girls" should "enjoy" doing - Imagine Cooking, Imagine Fashion, Imagine Babiez) I was thinking that they should just combine them all into one title. It would be much more fun ...
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...kingBabies.jpg

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teknik_SE-R View Post
    ok. Need help remembering the name of this game. no better place to ask right?

here is what I remember.

Ca 1994?

type: puzzle game

game premise:
    you were a spherical shaped dude (kinda like qbert) and had to move blocks around an such to get things to line up and get some object (or the guy, I can't remember which) to the other end of the puzzle

other details:
    I bought it at the dollar store on a 3.5 floppy
    I think it was a shareware trial
    had 2.5d graphics (prerendered 3D ) iirc
    the name of the game was the main character's name iirc
    game music was some vg music version of "dance of the sugar plum fairies"
    could be in iso view sold along side "vinyl goddess from mars"

thanks for the help!
    NO ideaof the main game, but the other game you mention...do you mean Leather Goddesses of Phobos by Infocom?
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like Lolo or Paganitzu. Paganitzu would have had a shareware version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the game your thinking of or the character rather was hubert. i had a game compilation disc from walmart back in the day with about 1000 games on it and there were 3 hubert games on it. you played as a little orange round dude and had to push and pull objects and bounce around generally interacting with things to reach a door at the end of the level. I of course cant find any evidence of this games existence on google so ill try to find another copy of that game compilation disc somewhere.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

absolutely no luck googling ebaying and amazoning for this old school games compilation i remember it was in a jewel case with a mainly black cover with some yellow lettering and design called something or other along the lines of 1000 games for windows or over 1000 great games or something picked it up at walmart for $10 around... 1996 or so. I actually MIGHT still have it at home so ill take a look and see. It was alot of really bad freeware and some pretty decent shareware.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was this a DOS game or was it for Windows?

I have a game collection like the one MrSparkle's talking about -- it's called 'Shareware - 2000 Hit Games'. I bought it back in 1996, and it has a mix of shareware and freeware games (some Windows, mostly DOS). It has Paganitzu on it, but I don't think it's the game you're looking for.

I'll spend a little time looking at the games on there and see what I find. I never actually played many of them back when I bought the disks, so it gives me a good excuse to play around with DosBox.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    NO ideaof the main game, but the other game you mention...do you mean Leather Goddesses of Phobos by Infocom?
    No, there actually was a game called Vinyl Goddess from Mars. I passed on it at a thrift store once, it wasn't a text adventure like Leather Goddesses of Phobos. They just ripped off the name and changed it slightly.

As for which game the original poster is looking for, I have no idea. I'll try to find out what it was, though I haven't had much luck so far with my searches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    StomachEarth

I know what you're talking about, but I can't think of the name. I'll look through some old shareware discs though because now it's bothering me...

Did this game get really hard early on? It was like Adventures of Lolo right?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post
    I think the game your thinking of or the character rather was hubert... you played as a little orange round dude and had to push and pull objects and bounce around generally interacting with things to reach a door at the end of the level. .
    I think you are right. I always related Q*Bert to it simply cuz of the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Damaniel View Post
    Was this a DOS game or was it for Windows?

I have a game collection like the one MrSparkle's talking about -- it's called 'Shareware - 2000 Hit Games'. I bought it back in 1996, and it has a mix of shareware and freeware games (some Windows, mostly DOS). It has Paganitzu on it, but I don't think it's the game you're looking for.
    I think it was DOS. I didn't have any windows games back then. I was poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    No, there actually was a game called Vinyl Goddess from Mars. I passed on it at a thrift store once, it wasn't a text adventure like Leather Goddesses of Phobos. They just ripped off the name and changed it slightly.
    yup. I'm sure the name was an intentional throwback.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunface View Post
    I know what you're talking about, but I can't think of the name. I'll look through some old shareware discs though because now it's bothering me...

Did this game get really hard early on? It was like Adventures of Lolo right?
    yes it did. definitely isn't lolo or paganitzu. I think it may have been true 3D graphics, although it was simple spheres and cubes.

The premise of moving cubes around is similar to lolo, but that is where the similarity ends. lolo has platform/adventure/exploration elements.

this game was more like "pipe dream" or "chips challenge" in game mechanics, where you have a single level, with a planar board with obstacles on it. You have to arrange them to bounce off them etc to get to the door to the next level.

Hubert sounds right, but where is it? BUTwouldn't it be on www.dosgamesonline.com or somewhere similar?

Thanks everyone for your help!

post back if you find anything new!!
    Last edited by Teknik_SE-R; 02-11-2009 at 11:29 PM.
    With all the recent "Imagine" series (which are pretty much VERY sexist representations of what "young girls" should "enjoy" doing - Imagine Cooking, Imagine Fashion, Imagine Babiez) I was thinking that they should just combine them all into one title. It would be much more fun ...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If I failed to leave feedback for you on a deal, please contact me.
    My Digital Press Feedback

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mmm. no. It was 3D. Pretty sure of it. and most ikely an aerial view. IIRC there was no vertical element to the game. it all was on a single plane, like a marble labyrinth.