Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega posts huges losses, joins the layoffs bandwagon.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Default Sega posts huges losses, joins the layoffs bandwagon.

Recession proof, huh?

Yet another publisher and developer loses a huge pile of money for 2008, this time Sega.

Here's the link to the story on 1UP.

Apparently, they're looking to sell a huge number of their arcades in Japan, and are cutting R&D spending by twenty percent. They're asking employees to take voluntary layoffs as we speak. Involuntary layoffs to follow.

How long, O Lord, how long?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

punishment from god for misuse of the sonic the hedgehog license.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Plus!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post
    And for not supporting the Dreamcast in America after the PS2 took the lead! Wussies!

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So much for my hopes of a 32x Plus.

Seriously though, the Sega story is depressing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Not surprising...

Let's not forget that SEGA has been involved in financial problems since the launch of the 32X or the financial losses for 97 and 98 where SEGA reported losses for more than $ 500 million usd by SOA and SOE ... although those losses were supported by $250 million usd profit by SOJ

A few years ago SEGA was making money selling shitty games, it was just a matter of time to lost their well earned reputation; it's time to focus and i know SEGA will rise again ...

so sad, but i saw it coming :S
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

sega needs to get some balls back into its company and release a new genesis add on because my 32x and sega cd attachments are getting lonely.

DP Feedback Thread

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post
    Amen to that!
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jupitersj
    PSN
    jupitersj

They should start the involuntary layoffs with Sonic Team.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

With this news, it is safe to say "the next great Sonic game" some of you have been waiting for ain't comin' out in the two or three installments ahead or ever for that matter. Time for the fanboys to consider ending their hunger strike.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Doesn't look good for Sega. I guess NiGHTS was too late but what about the Condemned games? Were they just the publisher for those?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    With this news, it is safe to say "the next great Sonic game" some of you have been waiting for ain't comin' out in the two or three installments ahead or ever for that matter. Time for the fanboys to consider ending their hunger strike.
    No way we will do that.

And that talk about Sonic sucking is utter blasphemy.

I had a feeling that this thread would turn into a "I hate Sega, and now I can talk trash even harder" type of thread.

This is a sad day for Sega. I find out about this today, and I am seriously going to buy a 4 foot tall sonic today, weak sauce.

I still love my little blue friend, and all you sonic haters can shut your lips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

whoa whoa this isnt people hating sonic its people hating that recent sonic games (read everything after sonic adventure 2) was kind of lame. this is a franchise that hasnt had a strong presence in the 3d market. the reason we are unhappy about sonics recent performance is because we loved him so much for his awesome games back in the genesis days.

i personally have a genesis, a 32x, a sega cd, a saturn, a dreamcast, a game gear, and a nomad so im a pretty huge sega fan. Im just sad to see what they have been reduced to, namely a mediocre software house.

DP Feedback Thread

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Sonic used to be the best character ever. After the Genesis years the quality of the games started to decline overall. I used to watch the Sonic cartoons back when they came out, I now have the DVD sets of them(except for Sonic Underground, I didn't like that one so much).

First Sonic was made with an attitude, but then it wasn't enough so they made Knuckles as the tough guy(Knuckles is still cool). Then that wasn't enough so they made Shadow and gave him a gun. It's really too much now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    No way we will do that.

And that talk about Sonic sucking is utter blasphemy.

I had a feeling that this thread would turn into a "I hate Sega, and now I can talk trash even harder" type of thread.

This is a sad day for Sega. I find out about this today, and I am seriously going to buy a 4 foot tall sonic today, weak sauce.

I still love my little blue friend, and all you sonic haters can shut your lips.
    Hey I like Sega and I like Sonic.

Just saying Sega was having a hard enough time getting a really good Sonic game in stores before these layoffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing is, I only get up in arms when people claim that the only good sonic games happened during the genesis. What about Sonic CD? Sonic CD is absolutely awesome.

No, I won't say that every single Sonic game is golden, but they are not as bad as everybody makes them out to be.

Yes, many games Sega puts out are dissappointing, but I will never blame Sonic Team for that.

A perfect example is NiGHTS on the Wii. I see the direction they were going for. I see it. They just did not execute it fully.

Some games had great potential, but some small things messed them up. Sonic Riders is a good example. That game could have been complete gold, but unfortunately, the difficulty is just insane.

I could sit here and justify many hated games (Sonic 06 is a good example of me justifying it), but there is no point.

It is incredibly sad that Sega has to do this, but I see many of the faults being in the lack of first party titles.

Sonic unleashed, I don't care what people say, that game is awesome. Sonic 06, man, whether you like it or not, it made Platinum hits for 360, so that has to say something.

Yes, they have made some mistakes, but I don't care (Iron Man, I am looking at you).

I do not think that Sega deserves all of the flack that they get (no pun intended towards you flack).

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The thing is, I only get up in arms when people claim that the only good sonic games happened during the genesis. What about Sonic CD? Sonic CD is absolutely awesome.
    I love Sonic CD, and that came out during the time of the Genesis.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    Doesn't look good for Sega. I guess NiGHTS was too late but what about the Condemned games? Were they just the publisher for those?
    Yup. They were developed by Monolith.

And despite Condemned 2 being fantastic, it sold like garbage, which is unfortunate.

Maybe Madworld, Bayonetta, and F.E.A.R. 2 will pull them out of the shitter this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega now joins EA, Sony, Koei-Tecmo, Microsoft, Midway and the majority of US businesses these days. We are all screwed. It's the end of the world as we know it. But atleast we'll get the annual madden game with slight graphical upgrade and updated rosters.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

No, I won't say that every single Sonic game is golden, but they are not as bad as everybody makes them out to be.

Yes, many games Sega puts out are dissappointing, but I will never blame Sonic Team for that.

A perfect example is NiGHTS on the Wii. I see the direction they were going for. I see it. They just did not execute it fully.

Some games had great potential, but some small things messed them up. Sonic Riders is a good example. That game could have been complete gold, but unfortunately, the difficulty is just insane.

I could sit here and justify many hated games (Sonic 06 is a good example of me justifying it), but there is no point.

It is incredibly sad that Sega has to do this, but I see many of the faults being in the lack of first party titles.

Sonic unleashed, I don't care what people say, that game is awesome. Sonic 06, man, whether you like it or not, it made Platinum hits for 360, so that has to say something.

Yes, they have made some mistakes, but I don't care (Iron Man, I am looking at you).

I do not think that Sega deserves all of the flack that they get (no pun intended towards you flack).
    Do allow me to get this off my chest.

From when I was a kid, I was a bigger fan of Sega than Nintendo until the Dreamcast petered out. What has happened with Sega the past 7-8 years has felt like a huge punch to the gut.

I liked Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic CD and Sonic Heroes.

I reviewed Sonic Adventure (DC) for this web site and made the claim that it was better than Mario 64. I still believe that today and will openly state this.

You can see that review right here.

http://www.digitpress.com/reviews/sonicadventure.htm

So I want to see Sega prosper just as much as the next person but seeing them lay off anybody is just disturbing, if you worry about the quality of their future releases.
    Last edited by bangtango; 02-12-2009 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I do think that sonic does become a punching bag sometimes. I personally agree that the sonic games are not as bad as some say they are, but I think it comes down to this....people prefer the older sonic titles, and want a full blown 2D sonic to be made. I agree that Sonic Adventure was awsome, but I dont think they have hit that "magic" with a sonic 3D title since. I really liked the DS titles(not the RPG but I hear that one was good), and also liked the GBA titles as well. I guess I will just have to settle for the sonic games that we do have, At least they fairly cheap now to buy.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist