Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *Play N Trade*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not a big fan but I still stop in a PnT at least once every couple weeks (there's 2 near me) and once in a while I'll be surprised at what they have. Last time I was there I saw a Saturn system with hook-up's and controller for $19.99 which was pretty good. They also had a Suikoden II for $70 which wasn't a bad price either.

Pretty much all of their current and last gen games are priced exactly the same as Gamestop or higher though. They did price match a used copy of Burnout Paradise for me however (was $23.99 and I got it for $17.99)
    Last edited by norkusa; 02-26-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like our local one. Fuyukaze and I have already hit that place up hard over the last few months. We both scored big with Dreamcast imports and a few other things. Got some cheap commons from them too. Some trips were definately better than others. We actually like the owner and staff too, they're all right folks. They do seem to be the 'hang place' among the local brats... always a bunch of kids playing the flavor of the week FPS on the kiosk units and being obsticles and a general nuisance to those that are actually shopping for something and actually has a little money to spend (yes, I'll surely be a full fledged cratchety old man by my 30th ). Some have even tripped over me or bumped into me as I'm raking through the bins of loose carts. I'm sure they think I'm some sort of wacky nutball... honestly, they're not too far off. I guess I have a little animosity for a few of the snot nosed kinder. One of the little sneaks bought a JPN Mega Drive right from under me. For $15 bucks too. Little bastard... *grumble grumble*

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

I recently participated w/my bro in a Brawl Tournament. Despite the contraversal victory, it was pretty cool. Can't wait for an SF4 Tourney!
    Oh no! The truck have started to move!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

There's two PnT's near me, one about 10 miles, the other about 30 or so miles, the one near me doesn't have much in the way of what I call good NES titles because me and a few other people have gone in and cleaned them out. The other 30 miles away is a smaller store with more NES/SNES/Genesis/GB stuff, but the guy there ups his prices, I paid $30 for a cart only Mega Man 5 there (yeah I know I wanted it though), got Mega Man 2,4, and 6 from the store near me and they averaged about 15 bucks for each one. The only negative I can have towards them is they charged me 8 bucks for Tetris Gameboy, and the Nintendo made Tetris for NES (that far one just wants too much for their games, I paid less on Ebay for Metal Storm cart only than these guys wanted for a cart only copy of the game, outrageous).

The one I frequent though has at least one guy who's knowledgeable in old school gaming, he manages the place, one other knucklehead there sold me a Gen X controller, that is incompatible with a damned Model 2 Genesis. I didn't know about this Gen X console, but then again he likely didn't, I had to go to the farther one to get myself a 6 button Genesis pad (my old one had a bad wire in the cord most likely, buttons would remap themselves, and the mode button was shot).

All in all a mixed bag, but so long as they can supply me with the games I want, I'll continue to go to my local PnT (and a pawn shop that surprised me by carrying NES games, but they have the worst stock of Genesis games, all sports titles).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hope P n T open up in Vallejo or Benica

Insert Coin (Level 0) NESGamer24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HyruleHero View Post
    I live in Jersey and there is a play n trade in Lacey NJ that has a decent amount of old stuff. When I first heard about it I went and bought a ton of Sega Master System games, I check back once in a while to see if there is anything old(New) that has come into the store and sometimes they do and sometimes they don't have anything. If you are looking for some classics, the one in Lacey is good to go too. If you are looking for hard to find, you might be out of luck. Another Play n trade opened in Englishtown NJ and they have nothing but new games. They go as far back as PS1. Here is one place nobody mentions. There is a place in Jersey called We've got freaking video games... it is located in Hamilton NJ. The owners name is Jim and he is a great guy and has a ton of stuff that I think collectors or anybody else looking for a good game should go. He has a good mix of stuff, defintely worth checking out. I live in central NJ and I drive an hour once and a while to go to his store.
    I'm gonna hit up the Play n Trade in Lacy today. Didn't even know one was there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NESGamer24 View Post
    I'm gonna hit up the Play n Trade in Lacy today. Didn't even know one was there.
    Just got back from Play N Trade in Lacy NJ. Heres my list of games.

NES:
    Marble Madness (just cart) $4.99
    Days of Thunder (Cart) $4.99
    Blades of Steal (dustcover in Box) $Free -Had buy 2 NES games get 1 free deal)

Asked the lady what systems they had. Always wanted a Dreamcast. Said they had one in original box with original packaging, manual, hookups, original phone cord, and the Demo disk that came in the box. All for $30 bucks. Price tag said 39.99 but she said $30 and gave it to me for that.

Then I looked at Dreamcast games asked how much house of the dead complete was she said $15 and you get a free 3rd party light gun for Dreamcast. So I got that. The gun alone would have been $19.99.

I think it was a good trip over all.

Now off to the Digital Press store tomorrow to see what I can find there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya know, I'm so glad these places are franchises and each owner gets to run it their own way. We had this one PnT (in Westfork Plaza in west Pines) that was run by a guy with nothing but dollar signs in his eyes. I traded in a Sears Tele-Games 2600 with a bunch of controllers and a combat...decent little starter. Gave me $9.99 for the whole bundle in trade...stuck it in a box the next day without even cleaning it or anything with a $49.99 price tag with just the system and a pair of joysticks. WTF?

Same place took two broken Game Gears from me. I told them they were busted, capacitor problems, but they took them anyway. Next day, in the display case for $19.99 each.

Just a 10 minute drive away, the one in the Miami Gardens shopping center off of I-75, is another PnT. I can walk in there, get treated like a friend, and not feel like I'm being prison raped on prices. Plus, one of the dudes who works there is a member here and has the guides under the counter.

Totally hit and miss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

That seems to be the story with most of them. Glad you could find a good one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

JUst stopped at the same Play N Trade and got Rad Racer NES for $2, Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past SNES for $15 and Bubble Bobble for NES $19.99.

With that Bubble Bobble I had to wait till I got paid today so I saw it when I bought the Dreamcast but had to wait and hope it was still there.

I see on ebay BB goes for around 15 and more but you have to figure shipping on that. So I figured it was a good deal. Now I can say I have it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Play n Trade near me is a nice store, but they don't have much in the way of selection. All their older stuff is put into one little dump bin. Still, picked up a few things last time I was there.

It has been a while since I stopped out that way, though. I should check them out again.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never been. Their nearest store is a 2 hour drive. Guess even the main Cincinati area isn't of interest to them, let alone immediate surrounding areas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Went to the Play N Trade in NYC on 13th between 3rd and 4th Ave yesterday.

If you are into newer stuff, (PS3, 360, Wii, DS, PSP) you will be happy but if you are looking for anything else they only have one small case of other games which had about 25 SNES games, 6 Genesis games, and 7 or so NES games. Also a handful of Gameboy games.

I was kind of bummed out as I thought one of the, if not the, only Play N Trade in NYC did not cater to past games giving the size of the city.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by NESGamer24 View Post
    Went to the Play N Trade in NYC on 13th between 3rd and 4th Ave yesterday.

If you are into newer stuff, (PS3, 360, Wii, DS, PSP) you will be happy but if you are looking for anything else they only have one small case of other games which had about 25 SNES games, 6 Genesis games, and 7 or so NES games. Also a handful of Gameboy games.

I was kind of bummed out as I thought one of the, if not the, only Play N Trade in NYC did not cater to past games giving the size of the city.
    To be fair, they can only put out what they have in stock. One time I was there they had a huge lot of boxed Intellivision stuff there plus lots of NES & Genesis games (I bought a few).

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Ya know, I'm so glad these places are franchises and each owner gets to run it their own way. We had this one PnT (in Westfork Plaza in west Pines) that was run by a guy with nothing but dollar signs in his eyes. I traded in a Sears Tele-Games 2600 with a bunch of controllers and a combat...decent little starter. Gave me $9.99 for the whole bundle in trade...stuck it in a box the next day without even cleaning it or anything with a $49.99 price tag with just the system and a pair of joysticks. WTF?

Same place took two broken Game Gears from me. I told them they were busted, capacitor problems, but they took them anyway. Next day, in the display case for $19.99 each.

Just a 10 minute drive away, the one in the Miami Gardens shopping center off of I-75, is another PnT. I can walk in there, get treated like a friend, and not feel like I'm being prison raped on prices. Plus, one of the dudes who works there is a member here and has the guides under the counter.

Totally hit and miss.
    I remember that place. It's closed now, but it's hit and miss regardless. I got a Sega CD model 2 there... for under $10! Also, those systems were yours? I remember seeing two GameGear systems at one time. The one I tried worked though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post

Totally hit and miss.
    Never heard of them,, am in Doral, I might go this weekend and check it out. Thanks

JS

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys, Play N Trade just texted me. They're doing 20% off all used games this weekend. This Play N Trade is located in Miramar, FL, and I don't know if any other locations are doing this. Call yours to see if they are doing this, though keep in mind that each store is ran individually.

I'm planning on getting Battle Clash (SNES), a Genesis 6-button controller, Kid Niki (NES), Mickey's Mousecapades (NES), Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (SNES), and a few other games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

Just had a Brawl tourney at my local one last night. Didn't win aww, but I was informed that they had a bunch of cartdridge games varying from N64 to SNES/Gen/NES/ETC. Plus they just opened up a new one in Miami off of Kendall drive and SW 125th so if anyone's near there check it out, I haven't has the chance yet.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only one near me in Warner Robins, GA is great. Two weeks ago they were doing a spring cleaning sale and had everything retro (anything Dreamcast and older) 50% off. Too bad I just got back from the flea market and didn't have enough cash on me to get everything I wanted. They always have a decent to good selection for most consoles.

The best deal I ever got from there was Snatcher for $5. I bought it not knowing the value, looked it up on ebay just to see what it might be going for and saw it for $100. I went back and looked at the price sticker, and they accidentally put a price sticker on it for Surgical Strike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

Quote Originally Posted by SEgamer View Post
    The best deal I ever got from there was Snatcher for $5. I bought it not knowing the value, looked it up on ebay just to see what it might be going for and saw it for $100. I went back and looked at the price sticker, and they accidentally put a price sticker on it for Surgical Strike
    NICE!!!