Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Just wanted to post that around here, Play N Trade is probably the best priced "chain" for any classic games. For my example, I'll use a loose used Pokemon red/blue cart for the GameBoy (since I've been looking for one for my son for a couple of weeks):

Play N Trade: $4.99
    Game Stop: $12.99 each (when you can find one)
    Movie Trading Company: $9.99
    CGX: $19.99
    FX Game Exchange: $21.99

Of course, if you get lucky enough to find one at Half Price Books, the price ranges from $5 to $10, depending on the store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got this coupon in the mail today. Don't know if it'll work at other stores but I figure it might be worth a shot (note how every deals says 'some restrictions may apply' in the fine print) :

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SEgamer View Post
    The best deal I ever got from there was Snatcher for $5. I bought it not knowing the value, looked it up on ebay just to see what it might be going for and saw it for $100. I went back and looked at the price sticker, and they accidentally put a price sticker on it for Surgical Strike
    I picked up a copy of Cheetahmen II at my local PnT in Lake Mary for $4, and people constantly trade in rare items. I have a nice arrangement deal with the owner, and he notifies me when he gets anything decent in.

I can honestly say though that the stores are hit-and-miss. I went to another PnT in Waterford Lakes and they had almost nothing retro worth purchasing. There were a few common NES cartridges, a lot of beat-up SNES and Genesis carts (mostly loose), and a somewhat-okay selection of Saturn/Sega CD (with all broken cases). They didn't have any retro systems except for a Genesis Model 2.

I'm planning a trip to the Oviedo PnT store this Saturday, so we'll see how that goes. I'm hoping to hit up the local yard sales, as I constantly hear the kind of deals that people find there (200+ NES cartridges, including 25 CIB games with a CIB Mermaids of Atlantis for $100).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
    For my example, I'll use a loose used Pokemon red/blue cart for the GameBoy (since I've been looking for one for my son for a couple of weeks):

Game Stop: $12.99 each (when you can find one)
    GS doesn't sell original Game Boy stuff anymore. Also, before they stopped taking in GB stuff, the prices on Pokemon Red and Blue actually dropped to $2.99 each.
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 06-09-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    GS doesn't sell original Game Boy stuff anymore. Also, before they stopped taking in GB stuff, the prices on Pokemon Red and Blue actually dropped to $2.99 each.
    They dropped to that price back during the big GB blowout 75% off sale earlier this year, but around here, the regular price never got below $12.99 or $14.99. There is still one copy of Pokemon Yellow at a local GS that is sitting behind their counter at $12.99 and I've asked about it every time I go in. Since it's the only original GB game that they still have, they don't even put it in the case anymore so I'll keep asking the price on it until eventually it's either cheap or gone.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Kisuragi View Post
    I can honestly say though that the stores are hit-and-miss. I went to another PnT in Waterford Lakes and they had almost nothing retro worth purchasing. There were a few common NES cartridges, a lot of beat-up SNES and Genesis carts (mostly loose), and a somewhat-okay selection of Saturn/Sega CD (with all broken cases). They didn't have any retro systems except for a Genesis Model 2.
    Every kind of store is hit-and-miss. It's not like that store you mentioned will always have a bad selection, either. You can go in one day and not find squat except for Myst for Macintosh, then go in another day and find Final Fantasy IV for $2.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That may be true for any place. The way I was greated, frowned upon when I asked about the available hardware, and treated when I purchased only retro titles said otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One just opened in my area and I am hoping to go there eventually since it is nearby my friend's house. That eventually will probably be when Transformers 2 comes out and my friend invites me over. I will then for.. persuade everyone to go there.
    I have a sig?

Insert Coin (Level 0) GOLDEN KEYS's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i went to a play n trade this past weekend and walked out completely disgusted. their "vintage" games are in this tiny section in the back corner of the store. when they set up this part of the store it was clearly just an after thought. a couple of note worthy items...

$15 for a copy of super mario world snes. label was completely torn off.

there was a box of atari 2600 games sitting on the floor. i picked it up to look through them and noticed they were all priced at $5 a piece. anyone want a copy of pac man 2600 for $5?

also lying on the floor (seriously, their "vintage" video game section is just one rack on the wall in the back and some stuff lying on the floor) was an atari 7800 in the original box, which was beat to hell. $80

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The one near me has about 25 Atari 2600 carts that have been the same commons for about a year. They are only $0.99/each, though.

We are long past the time when people trade these in, aren't we? I used to find tons of Atari cartridges in the thrift stores in the early 90's, but only very, very rarely now.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I went to the one by me. I did get Castlevania: Bloodlines for $3, but that really isn't something to write home about.

Store was pretty small and like Golden Keys I found the store in the same condition. Retro section was in the back which had a chair blocking the entrance. Not sure if that chair is usually there, but a person was sitting there when I was there so it was hard to get by. They had mainly SNES games in a glass case with probably average prices. Most games had their prices on the bottom which was annoying to ask about.

I did see a Gold N64 (not for sale I think) and a model 1 SEGA CD. The SEGA CD was untested and not priced when I first went. Called back later and found out it was $20 now, but untested. It was being sold by the store for a special needs customer, so I sort of feel bad not buying it. But I know if it doesn't work I'll be stuck with it and out $20.

So yeah, probably won't go back for a while.
    I have a sig?