Thread: Sega Master System Problem

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Master System Problem

Okay, I got this SMS system at a flea market a few weeks ago. I finally got around to playing it and I've discovered that it has something wrong with it. My SMS has Hang-On/Safari Hunt built in. Whenever I put a game in it always starts up the built in game(s). I haven't been able to get any cartridge (or card) games to work in this system, it only plays the built in games. I've tried cleaning both the games and the SMS pins to no avail. What could cause a SMS not to play cartridges?
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Try this - put a cartridge in, then pull it back out just a hair. I've had a lot of SMS consoles that have worn connectors, this usually gets them to work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Try this - put a cartridge in, then pull it back out just a hair. I've had a lot of SMS consoles that have worn connectors, this usually gets them to work.
    On a related note, you can also try to pull up the cartridge slightly on just one side (either right or left). I've had to do this with numerous systems for particular games, but it seems to work well.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Take the top shell apart from the system (6 screws under), so you'll have more accessibility to the cartridge connector... look very closely to the inner bottom of the actual cartridge connector,at the very bottom of the pins.... I usually find all sorts of things in there, little chuncks or dirt, pet hair, human hair, carpet lint, etc.... The hair can actually act as a passive conductor when touching any pins....Check to see if you find anything that isn't supposed to be there....
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    Take the top shell apart from the system (6 screws under), so you'll have more accessibility to the cartridge connector... look very closely to the inner bottom of the actual cartridge connector,at the very bottom of the pins.... I usually find all sorts of things in there, little chuncks or dirt, pet hair, human hair, carpet lint, etc.... The hair can actually act as a passive conductor when touching any pins....Check to see if you find anything that isn't supposed to be there....
    Sorry about replying after about 5 answers (school...). I did open it up to see if there was anything wrong, like a dead rat inside or something. The metal shielding is covered with rust, which is probably from being stored in an enviroment with a lot of moisture in the air. I took off the shielding and the chips, caps, and the pins all look to be in good shape. I plan to (attempt to) remove the aforementioned rust with some steel wool or something. Other than that, everything else looks to be in working shape.

And I will try moving the cartridge. I'll get back to you guys on how that works out. Thanks for the advice!
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Incorporate into your cleaning the use of copper polish (Weiman's). It works so much better than alcohol.