Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Locking game-critical content needs to stop.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Actually, you got it from the wall street journal... How very "anti-corporation" of you. Good thing you keep sticking it to the man.

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/N...06-sheeple.htm
    Besides, once major news media (the supposed shepherds who lead the sheeple, politically) start using that word, you need to come up with something else. Dumbasses is a timeless classic.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    I agree, most of the newer fighters do have new unlockables. But I don't like unlockable characters, and never will. I just feel it's not needed. I don't buy the motivation arguement either. As a teen I probably played SFII more in 1992 than the average teen will with SFIV. My motivation was simply to beat the game on hard without losing a round, while getting as many perfects as I can. Different endings were my motivation.
    Ok how long does it normally take to beat a fighter game with one character? About 20-30 minutes on average? You mean to tell me you are too lazy to actually play the game for that short amount of time like once a night to work towards a new character? Sure it takes time but if all games came fully equipped out of the box there would be no friggin' replay value. Have you ever thought this was a device the dev's used to actually have the player experience the rest of the game that they toiled over for ungodly amount of sleepless nights for you to hopefully enjoy instead of piss and moan?

Do you start a first person shooter with the BFG? NO! Do you start and RPG with the Ultimate Blade of cutting shit up and and they party max level 99? NO! Do you start a shmup with full powered lasers? NO! Then why the hell should a fighting game allow you access to all characters when some of them are probably so unbalanced for normal versus play?

I hope I never figure out this lazy friggin' mind set of modern gamers. It seems like everyone wants the experience handed to them from beginning to end. Watch a damn movie if that's the case.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Actually, you got it from the wall street journal... How very "anti-corporation" of you. Good thing you keep sticking it to the man.

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/N...06-sheeple.htm
    I wouldn't wipe my ass with the Wall Street Journal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    So...your motivation was to... UNLOCK a new ending????

Aha!!!

/me cackles and runs off...

Whatever it was, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I played the hell out of that game and thought I was invincible as Chun Li.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djbeatmongrel View Post
    Ok how long does it normally take to beat a fighter game with one character? About 20-30 minutes on average? You mean to tell me you are too lazy to actually play the game for that short amount of time like once a night to work towards a new character? Sure it takes time but if all games came fully equipped out of the box there would be no friggin' replay value. Have you ever thought this was a device the dev's used to actually have the player experience the rest of the game that they toiled over for ungodly amount of sleepless nights for you to hopefully enjoy instead of piss and moan?

Do you start a first person shooter with the BFG? NO! Do you start and RPG with the Ultimate Blade of cutting shit up and and they party max level 99? NO! Do you start a shmup with full powered lasers? NO! Then why the hell should a fighting game allow you access to all characters when some of them are probably so unbalanced for normal versus play?

I hope I never figure out this lazy friggin' mind set of modern gamers. It seems like everyone wants the experience handed to them from beginning to end. Watch a damn movie if that's the case.
    I don't recall how long it too me to beat SFII or any newer fighter on the normal level. 20-30 minutes is rather quick.

You can't compare it to FPS'. A fighting game is different. Same thing with classic compilations. I hate it when you have to unlock games. I buy the compilations to play my favorites when I want to. If I want to play game a I shouldn't have to achive a high score in game b. But hey, that's just me. You're entitled to your opinion. Heck, I would probably agree with you if I grew up with unlockables.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post
    Really doesn't seem all that bad to me. There wouldn't be much to work towards if everything was unlocked at the start.

I don't hear many people complain about Smash Bros and it's a similar system correct?
    You haven't seen Yahtzee's review of the Wii game then. Almost his entire beef w/ the game is that you have to unlock characters in order to use them, even in vs. mode. (His point being that he just wanted to play the game w/ his friends, but if he had to spend the time unlocking all the characters then he'd be insanely good at the game while they'd suck at it.)

Frankly, I don't like unlockable characters. Maybe one or two is fine (like the boss, for instance, is a fine unlockable character), but having HALF THE DAMN ROSTER be unlockable is just unnecessary. There are plenty of other things they COULD have made unlockable (story/adventure mode, costumes, endings, nude code, whatever). If there's no other reason to play the game than to unlock shit, then there's something seriously wrong w/ the game.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    If there's no other reason to play the game than to unlock shit, then there's something seriously wrong w/ the game.
    It's a way to make the game seem longer than it really is, that's all. It's the same with putting arcade sequences in adventure games, I just call it "filler".

I occasionally play Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat on my Genesis, overall they're short games. These days people would complain if the games were noticeably that short. Another way to make it longer is to make it incredibly difficult instead, though people would also complain about that.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Why are people whining about unlockables. If there were no unlockables in games there's no motivation to be a better player at times. Besides complaining about unlockables you get from just playing the game is even more silly.
    I don't care if non-game critical content is locked. That right there is your motivation to keep playing. As I stated in the OP: lock up art galleries. Lock up mini-games. Lock up alternate costumes. Lock up the sound test. Lock up the icons, badges, and in-game achievements. Don't lock up characters. People use them in real gameplay, and they're important to people who take the game seriously. My little brother mains Akuma. It's stupid that he has to play for three hours, minimum, to unlock him, in order to use him online... Which is your motivation to get better, by the way.

If I didn't have to play through it twenty two times to unlock characters, I'd have never touched the arcade mode. I bought this game for the online content, as did most fighting game nuts.

I'm not that old but I remember being excited back in my middle school/high school days when i unlocked a new character for perfoming well in said game. Is this concept lost on people today.

Harden the fuck up.
    Work sixty hours a week on top of freelance work, taking care of a kid, and keeping up with housework son, and then we'll talk about 'hardening the fuck up'.

I had the fucking time to waste unlocking shit in games in highschool: I don't anymore. A lot of people don't. I have adult responsibilities and obligations, and I want to be able to access all the important, game-centric content that I paid my money for. If all the unlocks were peripheral to the actual GAME BALANCE, I wouldn't be complaining. At worst, make it less of a time consuming bitch to unlock the characters. Soul Calibur 4 got that right, at least.

You speak as if the game would lose all challenge, or dilute the sense of accomplishment it could potentially provide if the developer let you use the characters straight from the get-go. Win a few online matches against Shinblanka and Chunbelievable from SRK: there's your sense of accomplishment. Get all the achievements or trophies. There's more accomplishment. Collect all the taunts and badges. Hey! Yet more accomplishment!!!! Complete the time trials on hard.. More accomplishment!!! It's like a three-ring accomplishment circus up in here!

Jesus. 'harden the fuck up', indeed.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I really wish they would have made Ken and Ryu unlockables.

I would have loved the fanboy rage then.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One solitary game has annoyed the crap out of me (in this department) in recent memory: Elebits. Probably the single most impressive and entertaining aspect of that game was the 4-player mode, in which each Wiimote controls an on-screen grappling beam while Player 1's nunchuk steers everyone.

The bad? You couldn't play any levels in multiplayer until you'd unlocked them in single player. That meant you couldn't take the shrinkwrap off the game, pop it in the Wii, and go through the whole story with your friends ... which is precisely what I wanted to do. I ended up grudgingly unlocking a single level for "check this out, guys" demo purposes, then I put it back on the shelf forever.

As for games like SFIV, I never minded unlocking so many characters in Soulcalibur IV or the extras in Dead or Alive. Those seem more like rewards for a bit of work than locking out multiplayer, like Ele-freakin-bits.
    DP Buy/Sell feedback is here: GM80's Feedback Thread

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Same thing with classic compilations. I hate it when you have to unlock games.
    I recently purchased Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, and have spent more time trying to unlock the extra games than I will playing them.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    If there's no other reason to play the game than to unlock shit, then there's something seriously wrong w/ the game.
    I could not have said this any better.

Locked content has now become some sort of normal expectation in a game, and woe to any designer that doesn't include it. Some reviewers even detract from final review scores because of it. Its as if the game itself is inconsequential; its now all about what type of fez your character can wear or a new gold paint scheme for your ghetto blaster.

What do these types of people do with games when everything is unlocked and all achievements are found?

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I had the fucking time to waste unlocking shit in games in highschool: I don't anymore.
    Amen.

My nephews, age 5 & 7 came over a few months ago. They were playing King of the Monsters 2 on my MVS cab. After defeating the first boss their father congratulated them. The older one looked up and said, "Cool! What did I unlock?"

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

To G-Boobie:

Why play games in the first place if your hands are obviously full with your work and children?

From my understanding all of the playable arcade characters are availible from the get go so you and everyone else are complaining about superfluous content anyways that is technically not essential for the experience.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually like when games do this. Having everything unlocked right from the start is boring to me. If I have to beat the game using characters I might not otherwise use, I might find that I end up liking one of them more than I thought I did.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

To G-Boobie:
    Why play games in the first place if your hands are obviously full with your work and children?
    Uh... Because I like games? They're how I choose to spend what little free time I have. I spend most of my 'at home' gaming time with fighting games because they're pick up and play: I can play in HD Remix or 3S for an hour and not have to worry about finding a save point, forgetting where I left off, or beating the whole thing in one go. It's the definition of pick up and play.

From my understanding all of the playable arcade characters are availible from the get go so you and everyone else are complaining about superfluous content anyways that is technically not essential for the experience.
    Bullshit. If the arcade characters were the only ones allowed in online matches, or if only the arcade characters were allowed in tournaments, you'd have a point. Unfortunately, every character in SF IV is a viable character(excepting Dan for obvious reasons, God bless his pink-ass heart).

I'm big enough into fighting games to hang out on SRK, very occasionally hit up GGPO and tournaments, and actually care about frame data and tier lists. Even if I didn't want to play Gen, Gouken, or Cammy, I'd still have to unlock them just to play against them in training mode.

To wax hyperbolic for a second here, it's like unlocking the headlights, windshield wipers and seat belts on your car only after you've driven for four hours.

Minus the potential for crippling injury, of course. That's why it's hyperbole.

I don't understand the resistance to the concept of allowing access to everyone from the point of purchase onward. There are achievements, trophies, badges, icons, personal actions, and ranks to unlock and earn. None of them affect how the game plays, but people still go ape-shit over them. There's your motivation to keep playing if you want to rock the E-peen.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Half Japanese
    At what point did you give up being anything but a troll?

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Seriously.
    get over it and read the rest of the posts here... if my posts make me a troll, then I'm a troll on a board full of trolls... and your posts are no less trollish...
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems to me people will complain about anything they possibly can.

I'm sure I remember having to unlock characters in Tekken 2 & 3 by completing the game several times. And what about the multiple play-throughs of the evil, sadistic, cheating (etc...) recent gen Mario Karts (DD/DS/Wii) to unlock Karts and characters?

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Hey, look at it this way...they could've made the extra characters DLC only. $5 a pop. Just like Namco/Bandai did with Vader/Yoda in SCIV.
    Exactly the point I was going to make. What would you really prefer:
    - All characters available from the beginning, and nothing to achieve.
    - Some characters need to be unlocked, motivating game play.
    - Paying hard earned cash for extra characters. People moaned enough about paying for extra costumes. Imagine the reaction if you had to actually pay for Cammy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    Exactly the point I was going to make. What would you really prefer:
    - Paying hard earned cash for extra characters. People moaned enough about paying for extra costumes. Imagine the reaction if you had to actually pay for Cammy!
    I'm sure they'll eventually release characters like T-Hawk or DeeJay as DLC eventually anyway so there is still the possibility of paying for characters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I had the fucking time to waste unlocking shit in games in highschool: I don't anymore. A lot of people don't. I have adult responsibilities and obligations, and I want to be able to access all the important, game-centric content that I paid my money for.
    I agree 100% with this post.

I paid 80 bucks for the CE. I want to be able to play with the game I bought. I don't really want to have to fuck around with characters that I don't particularly care for just to play characters that I do like. For instance, I hate Chun-Li. I always have. I love Akuma. Why should I have to suffer through Chun-Li just to play Akuma?

And to those that say, "yeah but you'll improve your skills" and "it gives you something to work towards" - listen ... I don't care. Akuma is in the game. I want to play with Akuma. I bought the game. END OF STORY. If I don't want to improve my skills, that's fine. It's my game. If I want to be the worst player on xbox live, that's my choice, and I should be able to do it with the character of my choosing.

And to those that say "yeah but at least you don't have to purchase Akuma from DLC" - that's completely irrelevant. That would also be bullshit. The options don't have to be one type of bullshit versus the other type of bullshit. There's gotta be something in the middle.

As was said, if they want to lock something - lock skanky costumes for the female fighters. Lock risquee artwork. But characters? Give me a break.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Say what you want about Soul Calibur 3, it actually did this shit right- unlock it 'properly' or, if you play enough games, they give the characters to you anyway.

Smash Bros nearly got it right on the characters front but there's still too much stuff locked away from the get-go. Having to play for 9 hours to unlock Sonic- who was a major fucking selling point of the game- is just a piss-take of magnificent proportion.

I don't like being told 'you don't deserve to get the most out of the game you shelled out Ģ50 for because you're not good enough'.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    It seems to me people will complain about anything they possibly can.

If there's nothing to unlock then there's nothing to achieve?

My apologies for being a smartass, but shouldn't the gameplay itself be motivation enough to play? Or is that considered all stick and no carrot?

Most fighters that I can think of off the top of my head have a method of unlocking that you're probably never going to do again after you've gotten the goal.
    Last edited by Az; 02-19-2009 at 08:46 PM.