Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Street Fighter IV thread

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Street Fighter IV thread

There are already a couple threads with specific topics regarding SFIV, but this one is a general thread about the game.

I like it! It feels a lot like Super Turbo with a bit of 3S thrown in. (I'm mostly playing Chun Li) I've finished it a few times but still don't quite have it down yet. To me, timing your moves is harder than the 2D games, the 3D animation throws me off. So it'll be a while before I get a feel for it, I'm gonna stick to fighting the computer until I'm comfortable enough with it to go online.

I think SFIV is definitely worth the hype. Though I do have my complaints here and there, I think Capcom really delivered on this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Topic #1.) How much I suck at Street Fighter. Online record: 2 and 11.

I bought the guide today. For $20 (!). I am determined to improve.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I picked this game up today, it looks beautiful and the controls are pretty solid for the most part. The game requires more strategy than it does in most other fighting games, since running into a battle will more than likely result in a very quick death. I also like the added moves to the list, even throwing has its own set of movies, which makes things more varied than just pressing the heavy button in hopes to get a throw in. The game can get pretty tough even on Easy mode, which can get pretty damn frustrating, especially with that asshole Seth, I hate it when they throw in cheap final bosses to purposely make things hard and he's as cheap as they come.

Receiving online challenges as you're playing Arcade mode is a really nice addition, it really does make it feel like you're playing at arcade, but I'm sure it will get pretty frustrating after awhile since you don't have the option to accept or decline a challenge. They could have easily added a challenge accept option and an option to toggle it on or off if you choose.
    Speaking of the online mode, I played a quick game (quickly got my ass kicked that is) and it ran extremely smooth, I didn't notice any kind of lag other than it taking a bit to get past the match set up screen.

Capcom really did do a good job with the game, it's the fighting game I've been dreaming of and it's nice to finally see my dream come true. I only wish I didn't have to wait an extra day to get the game, if this happens with RE5 next month I don't think I'll be as patient.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Street Fight IV is badass. Play more like Third Strike if you ask me.

Anyways. I don't own the game, but played it on the 360 last night and this morning for a few hours. Matt's friend Jordan is the one who picked it up, and like all other fighting games, we switch controllers depending on who loses. Me, Steve, Matt, Jordan, and Adam were there(though Adam didn't play since he's never played a fighting game other than Soul Calibur.)

Here's how it all went down. My turn is up. Chose Ken as I'm more of a fan of him than Ryu. 55 Wins later I'm still playing and missed hanging out with my friend Jeremy and two girls we're supposed to go drinking with. That's actually when I left. I called them and said I'd be right there, an hour late.

Stopped back over at Matt's house to play Street Fighter 4 again last night and spent the night, played it once I woke up for about two hours. At that point, I played nothing but ranking(which was untouched by anyone except for me playing it.) So I ended up getting 3, 5, and 10 wins in a row to get gamerscore on Jordan's XBOX Live account, along with around 30 - 40 extra wins, also a few losses. In the morning when I woke up, Matt's XBOX Live account was signed on, got him 3, 5, and 10 wins in a row as well. With Matt's record, I ended up getting three losses and about 50 wins though. Matt ending with 1400 points and Jordan ending with 1000.

So the question I have to ask. It's Street Fighter. Where are all the pros? I'd assume they'd be on but I've rarely fought a person who was any good. I've atleast gotten 90 wins and about 10 or less losses(I didn't look around to check and see where you could find wins either, though the rank points are posted above.) Between both of the Live accounts I played to get their stats up, my rank on points(if added together and paired against others on the listings) would be rank 100-110(that's in less than half a day worth of playing the game.)

There are some things I dislike about the game though, amazing as it is. Ryu and Ken's spin kicks are now useless against anyone that has common sense unless used to counter in the air(but then I'd rather just jump and do a High Kick and land to shoot a Hadoken in their face.) Another thing is just how over powered Zangief is, more so than before, so you had to turtle while fighting him before, you have to do so more this time around. Last. Why put Akuma in the game other than being an overpowered version of Ryu and Ken(no one has to answer this, I just think it just gives an unfair advantage to people who are actually better and use characters like Ryu or Ken against someone who gets "lucky" and lands Akuma's "take 1/2 the damage off special" and his air Hadoken attacks.)

Then about the online. What pisses me off is sometimes it actually takes upwards over 2-3 minutes before you actually are able to join a game. Quick match, match up, sorry you can't join the game, or, sorry you can't join the game someone is already in it. Or something like that. Other than that, I've only had some lag two matches(one was a second delay time, the other was actually extremely low framerate.) For around 100 matches of online ranking, two with lag isn't bad at all.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-18-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Seth is cheap. Bloody hell, I had a very frustrating time on the 360 pad trying to beat him with Abel to unlock Fei Long. Getting Rose via Bison was only slightly less frustrating. For whatever reason those two seemed bloody hard; he fell fairly easily to the other characters I was playing as. Just got Gouki and Gouken left to unlock before going through as all for Seth himself... and hopefully my TE stick will arrive tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Receiving online challenges as you're playing Arcade mode is a really nice addition, it really does make it feel like you're playing at arcade, but I'm sure it will get pretty frustrating after awhile since you don't have the option to accept or decline a challenge. They could have easily added a challenge accept option and an option to toggle it on or off if you choose.
    You can change it. Hit right button/trigger to pull up the status menu, there you can set arcade challenging to off, player (friends list I assume) or anyone. It's where you also set your player icon and status.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I usually play as Ken but everyone and their mom know what Ryu/Ken do so I get beat easily. I play Cammy now

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We've all been playing it pretty extensively at work and I'm having a blast. I confess that I've never been a big Street Fighter player - I was always into more obscure fighters and Virtua Fighter was my mainstay so I barely know how to use Ken or Ryu.

Still, I love almost everything about it. The combat system is deep and complex without being convoluted, the art style is amazing, it's got a great sense of humor and feels "different" enough to warrant the IV label.

One thing I'm really impressed by is the speed. I was afraid that the 3D models would make the game feel "clunky" but everything feels just as fast and fluid as the best of Capcom's sprite based fighters.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am so excited I ordered mine from capcom online a month ago and it still hasn't arrived. The Hell!!!! It Hasn't even shipped. Anyway my friend tells me it seems slow and sluggish. One of my pet peeves is after playing a fast version it is harder to slow down the pace. I hope it is fast as 3rd strike.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've ordered mine from Newegg. Hopefully it will be here soon. We should play on Xbox Live at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

My god. I bought this game today, and I am amazed by this incredible game.

Street Fighter II was the first video game I have ever played, and I've been a huge fan of the series since. When Super Street Fighter II came out, that's all I would play. I mained Cammy in that game and have ever since in every game she's in. From that game, to the Alpha series, to Capcom vs. SNK 2, I've always used Cammy.

Now, unlocking Cammy was quite the feat with Crimson Viper (man. she's alright, but she's not the best o_O ) But I was glad to see that Cammy remains to be awesome in this game. I love her ultra. And her voice is excellent. Definitely matches her character instead of that little baby voice they gave her in SFA3.

As for the game itself, this fighting game is incredible. I am pleasantly surprised with how they did the animations in this game. All the characters seem pretty balanced, or so I hear from Shoryuken forums and GameFaQs. I had one online battle earlier as Cammy and I decimated a Sagat.

Anyone else entering the Gamestop tourny? Kinda sucks because I can't pick Cammy in it or use my custom configuration, but I still think I can do great. I've been playin the game my whole life.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sf4 Ce Ps3

Grrrrr Gamestop shafted me on the SF4 CE PS3 edition. I preordered it and they didn't have enough quantities to fulfill the preorders (even though I ordered in early January). I will raise hell if they don't get me one by this weekend. GRRRRRRRRr add this one to the Gamestop hatred quota.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was finally able to track down a PS3 copy tonight, after work. I'm loving C. Viper so far, at least until I unlock Cammy. Seth is a cheap sob. One can only hope that the success of SF4 will mean a new Darkstalkers or Rival Schools game in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I spent like all day playing this today (my local gamestop didnt receive shipments till this morning)

Some random notes:

- Being a Zangief main most of the time I really like the improvements they gave him. The reach is a little ridiculous (gave grabs at times I didn't even mean to) but they really evened him out so that he has a better time fighting the cast than in previous games, although Guile's still a nightmare to deal with. I'm just happy I can jump over Akuma's air fireballs now.

- Really wish they made larger online lobbies. One-on-one gets old after a while and it takes a while to set up for another player. I also wish there was some sort of quick option to join someone on your friend's list who has the REQ mode on, as system menu Join Session doesn't really help.

- What the hell happened to Fei Long?

- I didn't think Seth was *that* bad.

- Wish there was more to the medals system.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure why everybody thinks this game is 3rd Strike mixed with Super Turbo.

It runs off the Street FIghter EX engine. If you have ever played SFEX in your life, go back to that series and you'll see what I am talking about. They took the normals, most of the supers, everything. THis is essentially Street Fighter EX 4 with hitboxes.

The ONLY thing 3rd Strike like is the fact that you THROW with Jab and Short, and you have access to EX moves.

Other than that, it's Street Fighter EX 100%. The problem is, most people skipped the EX series, but if you stick a 4 on this title, everyone jumps up and plays it because of the hype not realizing they were set up with SFEX all along...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    I'm not sure why everybody thinks this game is 3rd Strike mixed with Super Turbo.

It runs off the Street FIghter EX engine. If you have ever played SFEX in your life, go back to that series and you'll see what I am talking about. They took the normals, most of the supers, everything. THis is essentially Street Fighter EX 4 with hitboxes.

The ONLY thing 3rd Strike like is the fact that you THROW with Jab and Short, and you have access to EX moves.

Other than that, it's Street Fighter EX 100%. The problem is, most people skipped the EX series, but if you stick a 4 on this title, everyone jumps up and plays it because of the hype not realizing they were set up with SFEX all along...
    Well, in everyone's defense, Capcom themselves have been going on G4 and on web sites and pitching the game as a perfect blend of SFII Turbo with some elements of SFIII thrown in. Of the dozens of interviews and reviews I have seen, not a single one has mentioned EX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Personally I just like that there's no parrying and no custom combo nonsense. How long has it been since Capcom put out a non-marvel fighter like that? Never had the patience to learn any customs, and I never cared enough about 3rd strike to learn how to work with the stupid parries.

So whether or not the game is like the EX ones, it's already done well in my eyes :P
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it really does feel like an EX game. Not a bad thing in my opinion because I liked that series, but ya I think that is the best way to describe it. I was ready to do the spin kick move 3X in a row.....

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Well, in everyone's defense, Capcom themselves have been going on G4 and on web sites and pitching the game as a perfect blend of SFII Turbo with some elements of SFIII thrown in. Of the dozens of interviews and reviews I have seen, not a single one has mentioned EX.
    I'm sure they did not mention it because EX did not sell gangbusters, and they want to keep comparisons out of the way, but believe me, it's the EX engine. I'm not even sure if they own the rights to all those characters that ARIKA did for them, so who knows....

Anyone who has played ST and 3s extensively can not say this game is anything close to those two games.....not even close...

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure they did not mention it because EX did not sell gangbusters, and they want to keep comparisons out of the way, but believe me, it's the EX engine. I'm not even sure if they own the rights to all those characters that ARIKA did for them, so who knows....

Anyone who has played ST and 3s extensively can not say this game is anything close to those two games.....not even close...
    So do you like it or not? Not trying to be a troll, I'm actually curious.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seth is SO CHEAP. I have beaten him with four different characters, but not before I threw some hissy fits. There are things you can do to make it easier to beat him, but in the end there's still too much luck involved.

I mean, you can block his attack, and you'd think that would give you an opening, but sometimes he still can hit you first. You can time whatever move you want to hit him as soon as he teleports next to you, and maybe it will land or maybe he'll say, "Fuck that, here is my unblockable dragon punch combo." Last night I was fighting against him with Sakura, and I probably got him down to a sliver of health like 40 times before I beat him. He always finds a way to steal victory against the odds. Oh, and if he manages to block anything you do close range, there is a 100% chance you're about to eat a piledriver for like a sixth of your lifebar.