Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: The Street Fighter IV thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a series, Street Fighter was consistently popular for most of the 90's.
    The fact that later games in the series sold fewer copies was largely offset by the increasing number of SF games coming out, so that the series as a whole enjoyed steady popularity.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    As a series, Street Fighter was consistently popular for most of the 90's.
    The fact that later games in the series sold fewer copies was largely offset by the increasing number of SF games coming out, so that the series as a whole enjoyed steady popularity.
    The series sold terrible starting on the PSX/Saturn all the way up to the PS2/XBOX. They didn't come close to selling what the Street Fighter 2 series sold. This is probably why they made the fan games Street Fighter vs Xmen, Marvel vs Capcom, etc, etc. To generate sales on a series people were no longer buying.

You know Capcom has already made an announcement of another Street Fighter? Since it's popular again I guess Capcom feels they have to start milking the series for all it's worth again. Whether this is Street Fighter 4 Championship, Super Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 5, whatever, we're most likely going to see the smallest revision and some character editions. We all know how Capcom loves making one minor change and then releasing the game as a brand new game.

A sequel to the highly-rated Street Fighter IV was ‘practically confirmed’ during Capcom’s latest QA blog.

Capcom dropped a few hints on the sequel, including a couple of new characters and various updates to the game. Remember, there were two sequels to Street Fighter III - 2nd Impact and 3rd Strike, so it’s not really surprising, to say the least.

Here’s the information that Capcom has provided us:

“A new character who is Gouken’s daughter. She is “probably is as strong as Ryu, Ken or Akuma” and “maybe can do a one handed hadouken like his father can.”

Rolento is mentioned as a possible character.

Special intros (Gouken vs Ryu, for example) will probably be added in the next update or next version.

They want to add a ‘diagram’, a tier chart showing the results of each match-up. This was supposedly included with Street Fighter IV at some point during development to help balance the characters.”

Capcom also mentioned a possible survey for Street Fighter IV in order to find out what players want. It’s unknown at this time though if this is meant for Japanese players only, or if it also concerns North American and European players as well.

Stay tuned on PlayStation LifeStyle for all your information on Street Fighter IV. Also, make sure to check out our review here.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Yeah, and Super SF2 sold horribly on SNES and Genesis. The game was pretty overpriced, granted, but compared to the sales of the previous games? Awful. SF3 was terribly unpopular too outside of Japan, up until like, 2004 when Capcom wasn't putting out anything new.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    I would disagree. MK was a huge tournament game up through UMK (which still has hotspots throughout the US, South America, etc.) in arcade and MK Trilogy on console (which is still popular in oddball places like the Caribbean). In Detroit and elsewhere, SF2 peaked with Champion Edition and Hyper Fighting, with Super and ST never really taking off. The major arcades around here back then were wall to wall with MK machines, with a hell of a lot more players than SF was getting. Same with tourneys. It may be true that MK never was very popular in Asia, but do not discredit it.

Part-time players may get mocked, but they're the largest audience for fighters, and games in general.
    You know, when I'm talking about fighting games to other people who play them regularly, it's like MK never even existed. I literally forget how popular it was/is. Maybe it's my Capcom/SNK elitism taking over my mind.

Ubersaurus, who are you maining now? Still messing around with Rufus? And do you plan to pick up Blazblue?
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 06-24-2009 at 03:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I'm still fiddling around with Rufus, but my main guys are him, Balrog, and Ryu. Depends on the matchup who I favor. Against Sagat, I almost always pick Ryu, but everyone else I think I'm better off with Rog. Blanka I throw out here and there, and have some decent success, but he's always been my boy since World Warrior, so I can't turn my back on him now. I need to make another trip up to the arcade once I get my car fixed; seems like all the good Detroit competition is playing either there or at gatherings I've never bothered getting the details of. And considering one of our guys got 2nd at Midwest Championships and a spot on our Midwest team at EVO, I'm thinking he'd be a good guy to fight.

I'd say it's more a factor of how MK has been pretty crappy since they went 3D that hardcore players have pretty much turned their back on it. Even with MK vs DC being half decent, it never really had a chance. Fun trivia: One of the best SF players in the state has gone on record as stating he loves the 2D MKs way more than any Street Fighter.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I need to get out there myself. I think I've gone as far as I can playing random folks online. And hell yes Blanka. I ended up maining the green terror, myself... With a little bit of Vega on the side, just so I remember what complete and utter humiliation feels like.

I really enjoyed MK vs DC, but since it was the first MK I'd played since Deception (I think), that was pretty much inevitable. I'll have to revisit the first two or three games and see how they've held up.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 06-25-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Championship mode is so bleeeh in G1 since it takes way longer than it should to find a match. I've been doing Player Matches lately.

I'm gonna sift through this thread and look for Gamertags. If you haven't posted it yet, feel free to do so if you feel like playing some friendly games. I'll be sending requests.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SurfKahuna's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Add me: SurfKahuna on XBL.

I main Rog, and I keep Ryu and Akuma as backups for Sagat matches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I need to get out there myself. I think I've gone as far as I can playing random folks online. And hell yes Blanka. I ended up maining the green terror, myself... With a little bit of Vega on the side, just so I remember what complete and utter humiliation feels like.

I really enjoyed MK vs DC, but since it was the first MK I'd played since Deception (I think), that was pretty much inevitable. I'll have to revisit the first two or three games and see how they've held up.
    Oh definitely. How far are you from the arcade? There's talk from the manager there of getting Blazblue and KOF 12, as well, and I guess they plan on upgrading their vanilla Tekken 6 to turn it into a 2nd Bloodline Rebellion cabinet. Lots of fighters! And yeah, their SF4 machines do have Akuma unlocked. She also was telling me that they have a ton of parts on hand and the knowledge to fix anything that break down quickly.

From my experience, MK1 has aged terribly, MK2 less so. Ultimate MK is still an extremely good game, though, if not very different from practically every other fighter I've played.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by SurfKahuna View Post
    Add me: SurfKahuna on XBL.

I main Rog, and I keep Ryu and Akuma as backups for Sagat matches.
    I think I had you once before, but I was clearing out some of the people I didn't know o_O

I'll add you next time I'm on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    Oh definitely. How far are you from the arcade? There's talk from the manager there of getting Blazblue and KOF 12, as well, and I guess they plan on upgrading their vanilla Tekken 6 to turn it into a 2nd Bloodline Rebellion cabinet. Lots of fighters! And yeah, their SF4 machines do have Akuma unlocked. She also was telling me that they have a ton of parts on hand and the knowledge to fix anything that break down quickly.
    I'm actually pretty far away: downtown Grand Rapids. It would have to be a day trip: I'll probably get out there in two or three weeks and check it out. The only problem playing online (lag issues aside) is the lack of decent competition, which teaches you terrible habits that I, for one, find hard to break when you're playing someone of real skill (Blanka slide abuse is something that still haunts me on bad days). Letting some of the arcade guys whup on me for a while might do me some good...

From my experience, MK1 has aged terribly, MK2 less so. Ultimate MK is still an extremely good game, though, if not very different from practically every other fighter I've played.
    I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the info.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello guys, Can you give me some name of 3d fighing game like street fighter,
    I really need that kind of game. I played 2d fighting game. But I don't have any IDEA about 3d fighting game.

Please Help......

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Street Fighter is a 2d fighter. SF4 only has 3d graphics but it's still a 2d fighter.

If you want the best 3d fighter then look towards Virtua Fighter 4, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, or Virtua Fighter 5.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Virtua Fighter is so amazing. I bought Virtua Fighter 5 awhile ago at Gamestop because it was cheap used, but SFIV has taken so much of my time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Just wanted to bump this ^_^

Anyway, I'm going to be in a tournament on August 1st; it's at Roosevelt University in Chicago. I want to prove that Cammy can be a contender, because deep down I truly believe she is, no matter what people say about the console characters. I've beaten turtlers of all kinds. Main reason I am bumping this is because I want to see if there are any really damn good

- Ryu users
    - E. Honda users
    - Sagat users
    - Guile users

These characters typically give me the most trouble. Well, for every good Ryu and Sagat there are 4 bad ones; it's just that the good ones know how to space me out well. E. Honda is my worst matchup, IMO. And Guile can be annoying too. If anyone would like to spar with me, that'd be great. You can use someone else, too. ^_^

Insert Coin (Level 0) SurfKahuna's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cannon Spook? Hey, I have you as a buddy already. I never see you online. I second Ryu, and I believe myself to be decent. However, I'm not as good with Ryu as I am with Rog. I'll play ya next time we're both online.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

If I wasn't going to be away on holiday for almost all the period coming before the tournament, I'd offer myself up as a Sagat target. I've beaten almost every Cammy player I've faced online so I figure I've got a good nous on dealing with her tricks. Though the potency of the drill does mean being a little cautious out of crouch block

One piece of advice I will note, and I don't know if you know this: a blocked ultra against Sagat is pretty suicidal as his ultra can reach her even after the cannon spike part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Though the potency of the drill does mean being a little cautious out of crouch block
    Focus that bad boy. Crumple stun > Ultra is the best thing ever.

Add me as well, Nirvana. I play Blanka with a little Vega, so I can't help you TOO much.... But if you want a serious boost to your win percentage, well, I aim to please.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

True, although you have to react to it, which is easier moving the stick than slotting two fingers over the mediums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    If I wasn't going to be away on holiday for almost all the period coming before the tournament, I'd offer myself up as a Sagat target. I've beaten almost every Cammy player I've faced online so I figure I've got a good nous on dealing with her tricks. Though the potency of the drill does mean being a little cautious out of crouch block

One piece of advice I will note, and I don't know if you know this: a blocked ultra against Sagat is pretty suicidal as his ultra can reach her even after the cannon spike part.
    Oh, I definitely know that. Happened to me way too much back in ranked.

I'll add some of you guys in a bit.