Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Street Fighter IV thread

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok now who hear feels like they a expert with street fighter i feel like i can beat anybody haha ....this cool to see other people enjoying the game i need to calm down jk cheers

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yippee, the female characters' alt outfit package is up now. Let's go SHOPPING for a new DRESS!! Squeeeeeeeee!

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last night I fought a very proficient Ryu player. He was GOOD. I was Zangief. I beat his ass by spamming the shit out of his cyclone attack. I know that guy was pissed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Seth honestly is not that bad. I can beat the game on the hardest difficulty with Cammy. Against Seth, you just have to be patient. You can't outright attack him. However, he does so much that he leaves himself open a lot more than you think. His Dhalsim punch, his sonic booms, and that weird move that vacuums you towards him are all great times to jump fierce into a combo.

Have any of you guys tried the trials yet? I'm having a really difficult time with Cammy's second hard trial. I can't even land that medium punch after a light kick consistently.

(Edit: I absolutely love the MadCatz Gamepads. I managed to snatch a Ken and Ryu. It's so easy to do half circles and quartercircles with them.)

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
    Seth honestly is not that bad. I can beat the game on the hardest difficulty with Cammy. Against Seth, you just have to be patient. You can't outright attack him. However, he does so much that he leaves himself open a lot more than you think. His Dhalsim punch, his sonic booms, and that weird move that vacuums you towards him are all great times to jump fierce into a combo.

Have any of you guys tried the trials yet? I'm having a really difficult time with Cammy's second hard trial. I can't even land that medium punch after a light kick consistently.

(Edit: I absolutely love the MadCatz Gamepads. I managed to snatch a Ken and Ryu. It's so easy to do half circles and quartercircles with them.)
    The trials are frustrating. There are lots of weird timing issues with the 360 pad - I'll probably try them out again when I grab one of the fight pads.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    I was Zangief. I beat his ass by spamming the shit out of his cyclone attack. I know that guy was pissed.
    arrrggghhhh. I hate people like you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Will Capcom do a PSP version of this Game??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    I don't think so, at least anytime soon. There's really too much to handle o_O

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    Yippee, the female characters' alt outfit package is up now. Let's go SHOPPING for a new DRESS!! Squeeeeeeeee!
    Bah I need new outfits NOW! Too bad us PS3 players have to wait until Thursday. I've been trying to get better at using Rose. Her Ultra = Shamwow!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade_Ness View Post
    Her Ultra = Shamwow!
    Oh my God, I'm going to do a temporary thread derailment here, but it's worth it.

I was at a Zellers store last week (it's a Canadian chain like Walmart) and I noticed they had Shamwows for sale. They had a DVD of that commercial playing on a TV, signs up saying AS SEEN ON TV, etc... I went over to look at the box because these things just amaze me.

Then it happens. I notice a female employee standing next to a spill. She's young. She's pretty. She looks confused and concerned. The spill is a puddle of blue liquid by her feet. The puddle is about a foot in diameter. She's waiting for someone to come clean it up - I guess she's standing there to be sure that no one slips and falls.

I grab the box of Shamwows, rip open the package and yell I WILL DEAL WITH THIS! I run over and quickly soak up the blue liquid just by laying the shamwow on top of the puddle. It immediately soaks into the shamwow. I twist the shamwow out and all the liquid runs out into a near by bucket. The floor is immediately clean and safe for other customers. The shamwow? It's perfect. It's dry. Somehow despite the blue colour of the liquid, the shamwow is still golden in colour.

The female employee is ecstatic. She's beside herself. She gives me a huge kiss and tells me that if I want, I can have her. Right there on the floor. A huge crowd emerges out of nowhere and they're cheering and chanting SHAMWOW, SHAMWOW, SHAMWOW, SHAMWOW. Then suddenly they start chanting for me to give a speech.

I addressed the crowd, "Don't thank me. I didn't do anything. Thank the Shamwow. The Shamwow did everything. This little piece of cloth has more sucking power than a hooker using a vaccuum. How can you tell that it's good? It's from Germany. You know that they make good stuff". The crowd erupted into cheers and applause.

Then I woke up. I stopped daydreaming. The employee was still standing by the puddle. I put the Shamwow box down and walked away towards the electronics department. On my way I passed another Zellers employee carrying a mop who I imagine was going to wipe up that spill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade_Ness View Post
    Bah I need new outfits NOW! Too bad us PS3 players have to wait until Thursday. I've been trying to get better at using Rose. Her Ultra = Shamwow!
    I actually faced a pretty good Rose online yesterday. I hate facing characters you normally don't see people use. Not sure what to expect from them o_O

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    arrrggghhhh. I hate people like you!
    Heh. Well to be fair, I don't own the game and I'm sure I won't for a long time. I only fought online that one time to get the easy ahceivement. Now that Street Fighter is out of my system, I can go back to the NES where I belong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Gazing into my Crystal Ball whilst wearing my magical Psychic Y-Fronts........

I honestly think we will see SFIV in some form on the PSP. It's certainly a powerful little machine and Sony really needs killer titles for it. The recent announcements of Assassins Creed, Rock Band, Little Big Planet, Motorstorm and Resistance: Retribution are great news. SFIV would really be the icing on the cake.

Obviously it won't be an exact port of the arcade/home versions, but I still think the machine could handle a pretty good looking version of the game with all the gameplay intact. I certainly think there would be less characters included though. I don't reckon it'd be billed as a direct port, maybe something like SFIV: Compact Edition.
    Last edited by CosmicMonkey; 02-25-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cue bitter rant warning.

I played my last match in SFIV today. I'm done. I went from loving this game the first time I played it with a group of friends to despising it after playing for a week. And before anyone asks: Yes, I suck at it, and that's not the reason I hate it.

To start, I'm a huge fan of Virtua Fighter and I play 5 online a fair bit. My win loss ratio is about 50-50 but I started playing the game around 3 and got my ass handed to me by each game until I slowly started to understand the system. I mention this because I want people to realize that putting "work" into learning a fighting game is not something I'm opposed too.

But this? I tried to stay with it, really. I kept expecting there to be something more to this game, something deeper that I could latch on to and go, "Ooooh, I see what this game is about now." But nope. That moment never came. I went through the game unlocking all the characters (all the time wondering why the game was forcing me to play cheaply against boss Seth instead of actually teaching me the game) and then did the challenge modes and then hopped into online play.

Here's a run down of my online experience:

1) Select player.
    2) Opponent selects a) Ryu, b) Ken, c) Sagat.
    3) Enter Match
    4) Opponent runs to one side of the screen.
    5) Opponent spams fireball attack.
    6) Rinse/repeat.

This is 95% of my matches. I won't go into why I think it's cheap (just to avoid people claiming that IV is perfectly balanced - it's not) or why I think the game doesn't provide you with near enough options for dealing with that kind of play (one move per character to potentially get you out of that situation is not balance) but my gripe is this: Why should I spend 60 dollars on a game when almost all the matches I play are going to look exactly the same?

And why, when I have it set to "same skill" does it throw me against opponents that have the same BP as those at the top of the leaderboards? What's it using to measure skill?

But that's just the tip of the iceberg for me. The controls are awful. No. Stop. Don't tell me that that's what I should expect when playing on the 360. No. Stop. Don't tell me that it plays fine with the fightstick or the fightpad. Why, after spending 60 bucks on a game should I be forced to shell out another 40 - 100 so the game actually works?

And I'm not an SF n00b either. Third Strike? That was a GREAT fighting game. Why? Because no matter what your opponent did, you could deal with it. It had depth, complexity, and was balanced as all get out.

This? This is a complete mess. Not that I'm attacking those of you who are legitimately a fan of the game - if you see something in it that I can't then fine by me. But honestly, I think IV has a way's to go before it can match up with Smash Brothers, let alone Virtua Fighter and Third Strike.

/Rant over.
    Last edited by Wolfrider31; 02-25-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) DiabolicalAdvocate's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that the game isn't balanced. It's too easy to exploit certain characters with projectiles.

I main with Cammy, Guile is my secondary, and I'm trying to learn Viper, though she may be a lost cause. I feel like 75-80% of my matches are against Ken, and they play out in very similar ways. No striking of any kind, just fireballs and uppercuts. Ken is far too easy to use, and everyone knows this, so they use him to up their BP.

I'm not quite as frustrated as you are yet, but I'm headed in that direction.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I've not had many fireball spammers at all (although plenty of Ken and Ryu players) but I've just delivered the beats on them when I've encountered them. Personally many people I know are just doing Player matches either with randoms (better selection of characters usually cos BP don't matter) or friends. I'm just delving into Ranked occasionally to try and get the 10-in-a-row achievement but I don't think I'll be using it that often myself; Player matches have been where it's at for me so far.

As for Ken himself, there are reasons he's tiered way below Ryu and especially Sagat; his recovery time sucks compared to them for starters. Exploit it. Fake him into dragon punch and nail his arse, every... single... time.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I understand the pain of dealing with shoto spammers, but there are ways around it for every character even if you exclude jumping in safely.

Bison has his head stomp, Honda has the Sumo Splash (in three different flavors!), Blanka has his river run slide and cowards crouch, Vega can wall jump, Gouken has his ridiculous half-screen punch thing, Viper has a high jump and her seismic toss, etc. etc. etc.

Then there are teleports, and the best possible way of dealing with fireball spam when facing shoto protos: EX specials. They might get you with an EX fireball, but if you switch your advance up enough, you can see it coming. My favorite tactic is to use Balrog and headbutt my way across the screen until I get a couple super meter bars filled up. Then it's EX dash straight/dash upper all day, linked into a super or ultra. That's one seriously dead Ken, and never mind the hadoukens and DPs.

So far, I think the game is actually pretty balanced, although there are obviously a couple of characters that stand taller than everyone else... Just like in every Street Fighter game ever. It's like that in any fighting game, actually. Perfect balance is a myth.

Someone will figure out a sure fire way of avoiding Sagat's fireball trap soon and he'll fall a spot in the tier list. An El Fuerte player will figure out how to exploit some throw of his and loop it over and over, and he'll rise a tier. It's impossible to know for sure where the balance is yet: it's only been out for, what, six months in the arcade, and two weeks on console?
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 02-26-2009 at 05:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread got me thinking... I don't think I've yet encountered a Roofus player online.

Has anyone else? How was it?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh my God, I'm going to do a temporary thread derailment here, but it's worth it.

I was at a Zellers store last week (it's a Canadian chain like Walmart) and I noticed they had Shamwows for sale. They had a DVD of that commercial playing on a TV, signs up saying AS SEEN ON TV, etc... I went over to look at the box because these things just amaze me.

Then it happens. I notice a female employee standing next to a spill. She's young. She's pretty. She looks confused and concerned. The spill is a puddle of blue liquid by her feet. The puddle is about a foot in diameter. She's waiting for someone to come clean it up - I guess she's standing there to be sure that no one slips and falls.

I grab the box of Shamwows, rip open the package and yell I WILL DEAL WITH THIS! I run over and quickly soak up the blue liquid just by laying the shamwow on top of the puddle. It immediately soaks into the shamwow. I twist the shamwow out and all the liquid runs out into a near by bucket. The floor is immediately clean and safe for other customers. The shamwow? It's perfect. It's dry. Somehow despite the blue colour of the liquid, the shamwow is still golden in colour.

The female employee is ecstatic. She's beside herself. She gives me a huge kiss and tells me that if I want, I can have her. Right there on the floor. A huge crowd emerges out of nowhere and they're cheering and chanting SHAMWOW, SHAMWOW, SHAMWOW, SHAMWOW. Then suddenly they start chanting for me to give a speech.

I addressed the crowd, "Don't thank me. I didn't do anything. Thank the Shamwow. The Shamwow did everything. This little piece of cloth has more sucking power than a hooker using a vaccuum. How can you tell that it's good? It's from Germany. You know that they make good stuff". The crowd erupted into cheers and applause.

Then I woke up. I stopped daydreaming. The employee was still standing by the puddle. I put the Shamwow box down and walked away towards the electronics department. On my way I passed another Zellers employee carrying a mop who I imagine was going to wipe up that spill.

Before you snapped out of it you should have told her, "You're gonna love my nuts!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0cgQkT4ScQ

Dancemix!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xOA82k2IK4
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 02-26-2009 at 08:38 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

This thread got me thinking... I don't think I've yet encountered a Roofus player online.

Has anyone else? How was it?

I have. The guy knew how to use Roofus and pull off all his moves but the character seems weak and all the moves were easy to dodge or block. I beat him with Guile my new favorite character.