Thread: Ninja Gaiden?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

Default Ninja Gaiden?

Which is your favorite of the original 3 for the NES? Im particularly fond of the second one

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy8490 View Post
    Which is your favorite of the original 3 for the NES? Im particularly fond of the second one
    I was always a fan of 2, also. It just seems to play the best, IMO.
    Adult Podcast for Kids
    Weekly geek podcast. Everything from movies to tv, comics to video games, pro wrestling, entertainment, and beyond, with a decidedly adult slant.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Xplosive18

I think 2 is the best, but 1 is not that far behind. One thing that always bugged me about NG2 though is how they changed the wall jump move to make it easier for casual players. I took pride in climbing up walls manually in NG1 and all of a sudden that skill became useless in NG2 because anyone could do it.

Ninja Gaiden 2 does has better level design and bosses though which makes up for it and makes it the better overall game.

Ninja Gaiden 3 is a great game on its own, but doesn't quite measure up to other gaidens because of the weaker music/storyline and the floatly controls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't give an opinion on part 3 because the only time I played it is when I rented the trilogy on the SNES.

Even deciding between part 1 and 2 is tough.

Part 1 is just a classic and I thought it was cool (actually I still do) to jump back-and-forth, between walls to climb them; or on a more limited scope up one wall. However, that was my issue with the first part. I wasn't that good at jumping up the single walls. So when I found myself in that position, it was more often then not, the loss of a life.

Part 2 solved my issue of going up (or down) single walls. Of course that took some of the challenge out of it and it took a little something away from the game to me.

Besides those issues, both games (part 1 and 2) were really comparable. I don't know if I could even pick one. Maybe I need to pull those games out and give them another go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first one all the way. With the wall climbing that forces you to jump up the walls made this game so much more fun. Its like a technique, like throwing a fireball in SFII.

All of the games were great. I loved part III too. The music and the visuals were killer for the time!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ninja Gaiden 2 will always be in my TOP 10 games of all time. Its fun. Its challenging but not so much that you couldnt easily beat it after a while. So it wasnt frustrating. Fantastic game. I always loved the simple ninja storylines in these games too!

Ninja Gaiden 1 was also excellent but I couldnt beat it . I never got to play 3 for some reason, maybe I got a Genesis by then?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I can picture all of Ninja Gaiden's levels and bosses in my head and I haven't played the game in a long time.

I can't do the same for Ninja Gaiden 2.

That says all you need to know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    I can picture all of Ninja Gaiden's levels and bosses in my head and I haven't played the game in a long time.

I can't do the same for Ninja Gaiden 2.

That says all you need to know.

Bang, Ill be honest I kind of agree with you. In my mind Ninja Gaiden 1 backgrounds and bosses pop up much quicker. But I guess I still think of NG2 as the cleaner more enjoyable game? I dnno even know what that means but ya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

NG2 to me good plot and blance gameplay not to hard or easy either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xDerekRx View Post
    Bang, Ill be honest I kind of agree with you. In my mind Ninja Gaiden 1 backgrounds and bosses pop up much quicker. But I guess I still think of NG2 as the cleaner more enjoyable game? I dnno even know what that means but ya
    Depends on how you look at it, I guess.

I'll agree with you about NG2 being cleaner. The graphics are certainly better and the gameplay is smoother. I think the music in both games is about equal, my favorite theme from either game is Level 1 from NG2. Awesome stuff.

My biggest problems with NG2 would be the following.....

1. The game was too easy, at least compared to the first.

2. The levels and bosses were a little more bland or forgettable.

3. The power-ups were a big letdown compared to the original. The new ones weren't very good and I don't think the "clone" ninjas were necessary either (watered down the challenge too much), though it was fun to use them. Also the old power-ups from NG1 that made it into NG2 felt like they were severely watered down, especially the Jump and Slash.

4. This is the most important to me........I felt NG2 started leaning towards more of a sci-fi vein, albeit slightly. Stuff like the Baron Spider boss and a few other things. Then Tecmo went whole hog with the sci-fi bend in NG3.

So what's the problem with that? My point is that the original Ninja Gaiden looked and felt far more like an "authentic" ninja theme/game compared to the two NES sequels.

That authentic ninja style and feel, in my opinion, was one of the reasons why NG1 was so popular. It was something lacking from NG3 and as a result, you didn't see much out of the series for a long time until it was rebooted. I think there is a direct link there.

Don't get me wrong, though. NG2 is still a great NES game and I'd even put it in my top 20 on that system. It may sound like I am dogging it but I certainly don't intend to.
    Last edited by bangtango; 02-19-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Ninja Gaiden 2 is my favorite. Level design was the best out of the series in my opinion. Great level design combined with upgraded Ninja Gaiden gameplay and easily the best Ninja Gaiden soundtrack and one of the best soundtracks for NES games period, it deserves my favorite.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picking between NG1 and NG 2 is hard. I've never played NG3 yet(despite having four copies of it) and NG2 is the only one I'll actually beaten. I could get all the way to the second to last room on NG1 but it was almost impossible making it to the final boss's room.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Picking between NG1 and NG 2 is hard. I've never played NG3 yet(despite having four copies of it) and NG2 is the only one I'll actually beaten. I could get all the way to the second to last room on NG1 but it was almost impossible making it to the final boss's room.
    It isn't easy to do but have you tried reaching the final boss rooms with the Jump and Slash powerup? That power up ices most bosses with a mere 2-3 hits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It isn't easy to do but have you tried reaching the final boss rooms with the Jump and Slash powerup? That power up ices most bosses with a mere 2-3 hits
    When I was younger I actually made it to the final boss of NG1 once or twice. It's been so long though and I haven't tried it in awhile. I intend on going back and trying to beat my Japanese famicom versions soon so I'll try to use that move when I get there.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm gonna have to go with NG1, probably because I have so many memories of playing it when I was younger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NG2 is my favorite.

Next is NG1 (It was too hard for me)

NG3 comes last (pretty hard too and some of the later levels have ugly colors)

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that Ninja Gaiden II is the best. III just doesn't stand up to the first two, but it's still good though.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I really can't choose between 1 and 2. Both are just too awesome. 3 blows, though.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the first one the most, the characters were cool and the story was great. Ninja Gaiden II was a good game, but the story blew ass. It didn't even have a story, it was just Ashtar saying "Here I am, come and get me!" after every level.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem is that when you beat Mogru (the masked devil) you lose all your powerups. Then you have to fight Jaquio using only your sword. I've beaten him, but his patterns are really hard for me to keep up with.