Thread: Double Dragon

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Xplosive18

Double Dragon just hasn't aged well for me because there is so many beat em ups that came afterwards that perfected the formula they started. Its the perfect example of a game's history being more important than the game itself.

Having said that though, I used to play the Sega Master System version with my friends all the time when I was young and at the time I probably thought it was the best 2 player game ever.

Its still great to go back to that version and the NES versions based on the nostalgia associated with it, but I would understand if someone playing it for the first time today thought it was kinda crappy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I love DD, DD2, and BT/DD on the NES, despite me remembering BT/DD being hard it's still a lot of fun with two people. DD2 will always remain my favorite as I find it the best and being the only one I owned way back when, will always have nostalgia tied with it.

I like the original on the Gameboy, and I don't mind Super Double Dragon on the SNES. Never really got into the arcade ones... NES versions for me any day. I still have to check out the one on GBA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Astrocade View Post
    Double Dragon on the 2600.

Worst. Double Dragon. Ever.
    QFT! ACtually, it's technically impressive for the 2600, but it's still not worth playing.

I used to LOVE the NES DD2. I could beat it every time. I should track that down.

How is DD on XBLA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nate1749 View Post
    Is it beatable? I played it as a kid, but remember it being pretty tough...
    Well I stopped playing after the second round. It was just too unplayable to me. I'm sure it's beatable but I didn't want to continue because of how painful an experience it was.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved Double Dragon back in the day. I could play that game for hours, and thanks to the cheesing of the elbow punch, you could easily extend one quarter through the whole game :b

Surprised there hasn't been any mention of the SMS version. Much better than the NES one IMO because you have all the moves at the start, you can play with two people at the same time, and there's no annoying parts where you get killed by random falling rocks.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I've played Super Double Dragon for the SNES, but I didn't really get into it so I sold it off. I also had Double Dragon 3 for the Gameboy, that version is pretty terrible(I also sold it off). The NES version wasn't horrible, but it just wasn't as good as the first 2 games(I think I own it, and I haven't tried to sell it off so it's not all that bad). I'm hoping to come across the Genesis version of Double Dragon, my favourite system is the Genesis so it's a must.

If I'm remembering correctly, the arcade version of DD3 made players buy upgrades with actual money, you had to put quarters into the machine to get any upgrades in the shops.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    One more thing, avoid the Neo Geo cd/PS1 import Double Dragon game at all cost. It was based on the horrible live action Double Dragon movie and it super sucks.
    ... Wow. Just... wow.

The PS1 version was a crap port but the game is pretty decent for a 1v1 fighter. The final bosses had SNK Boss Syndrome, but the game is easy to get into, and it's fun to play.

Edit:
    And I was talking about the NES version of DD3. The arcade one should never be mentioned AGAIN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

I liked DD2 on NES the best, except for those room areas with spike floors or conveyor belt death drops. Those areas are what always took most of the lives, not to mention broke the flow of the game.

DD3 on NES was hard, mainly because you only had one life per character, max four characters, and if you play co-op it's shared. I had to use a Game Genie to beat that game. After playing it awhile like that I finally was able to learn the game well enough to be able to beat it without using it.

Super Double Dragon I found kinda bland. It was nice to play until you realize the game never really changes as you progress. Enemies were all the same, levels weren't notable, and the last boss was just a yellow guy that looked like a different colored minion.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Double Dragon is the tops probably followed by the arcade version. Best home version of 1 is on Master System. I think the first DD on the nes kind of blows(though it was one of my first games) due to it being one player.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

I've never played the Master System version of DD1 but it's gotta be pretty go if it is better than the Sega Genesis one. I found that 1 a couple weeks ago and was amazed! It is exactly like the arcade 2 people, levels everything. It was alittle shorter than I remember but ausome! I always like the first one on Nes. I like the upgading of moves. Now number 3 on Nes gets my vote for hardest game in the world. Yes you can learn how to play it. I can't even get out of the first room sometimes. I do enjoy me some Double Dragon games though. None of the original Gameboy ones are any good. I would suggest the Advance DD. Though. I should get the MS one? Off to Ebay.....
    In yo face!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RASK1904 View Post
    I've never played the Master System version of DD1 but it's gotta be pretty go if it is better than the Sega Genesis one. I found that 1 a couple weeks ago and was amazed! It is exactly like the arcade 2 people, levels everything. It was alittle shorter than I remember but ausome! I always like the first one on Nes. I like the upgading of moves. Now number 3 on Nes gets my vote for hardest game in the world. Yes you can learn how to play it. I can't even get out of the first room sometimes. I do enjoy me some Double Dragon games though. None of the original Gameboy ones are any good. I would suggest the Advance DD. Though. I should get the MS one? Off to Ebay.....
    The Master System version of Double Dragon is not better than the Genesis version. Anyone who says the Master System version is the best home version hasn't played the Genesis one.

Hell, I don't even think the Master System version is better than the NES version.

Go ahead and compare, though. Here are a pair of links.

http://doubledragon.classicgaming.ga...dd/rddsms.html

http://doubledragon.classicgaming.ga...mparisons.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Great articles. Thanx. Yeah. I actually thought that it's kinda rare so some people probably haven't even heard of it or even played it.. I hadn't. It does rock. I am bias to the Nes version but the SMS one looks realy good. With two people at the same time. Definitly gonna check it out. Saw one on Ebay last night complete for 5 bucks.
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RASK1904 View Post
    Great articles. Thanx. Yeah. I actually thought that it's kinda rare so some people probably haven't even heard of it or even played it.. I hadn't. It does rock. I am bias to the Nes version but the SMS one looks realy good. With two people at the same time. Definitly gonna check it out. Saw one on Ebay last night complete for 5 bucks.
    Looks can be decieving.

As bangtango pointed out above, the SMS version is lame. Looks great, but plays like dung. It's the weakest version next to the 2600 version to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The SMS screen shots look good because they don't show the insane amount of flicker this game produces. Half the game you can't see the characters.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

double dragon 2 is probably my favourite game for the nes - its the game which i probably have the best childhood memories about and had the perfect level of difficulty for a ten year old. the puzzles, varied bosses and enemies and music make it the perfect side scrolling beat em up. i played super double dragon for the first time yesterday and found it pretty meh until the double dragon 2 music kicked in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    The Master System version of Double Dragon is not better than the Genesis version. Anyone who says the Master System version is the best home version hasn't played the Genesis one.
    You are correct sir......didnt even know there was a Genny version, gotta get my hands on that.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    You are correct sir......didnt even know there was a Genny version, gotta get my hands on that.
    You might need to look around for awhile, unless you have the money to spend. Most of the time it is priced $10 or up. And that is for the cart only. I'm sure if you wait it out a little, you'll find it for a good price.

A lot of people didn't know Double Dragon was made for the Genesis and that is primarily because Accolade did it. So I am pretty sure it was an unlicensed game. It didn't help that it came out in 1992 either, years after the original Double Dragon in the arcade.

The graphics are spot on and so is the level design. It is literally like having the arcade version in your home. The control is a little unrefined but the arcade version didn't exactly have "smooth" controls either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robo2 View Post
    double dragon 2 is probably my favourite game for the nes - its the game which i probably have the best childhood memories about and had the perfect level of difficulty for a ten year old. the puzzles, varied bosses and enemies and music make it the perfect side scrolling beat em up. i played super double dragon for the first time yesterday and found it pretty meh until the double dragon 2 music kicked in
    Ditto this, its also my favorite NES game and one of my top 5 favorite games for any system. I have played through it more than any other title except possibly sonic 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I really enjoyed the arcade version of Double Dragon, so I immediately wanted the NES version when it came out. I played it non-stop until I finally was able to beat it on a regular basis. How I was able to do that back then...I'll never know. It's a damn hard game. So much depends on luck (those walls that randomly smash out...ugh.).

The XBLA version is pretty good. I also enjoyed the GBA version. The NES version is obviously crap compared to those two...but it has the nostalgia factor going for it.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone played the Atari 7800 version of Double Dragon? When it came out there was a lot of hoopla about it having no flicker. However I heard that because of the 'angel chip' it didn't have flicker, but it would slow down in parts, like the forest level.

Anyway, always wanted to play it, and just wondered how it played.