Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Double Dragon

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidnotcrazy View Post
    Has anyone played the Atari 7800 version of Double Dragon? When it came out there was a lot of hoopla about it having no flicker. However I heard that because of the 'angel chip' it didn't have flicker, but it would slow down in parts, like the forest level.

Anyway, always wanted to play it, and just wondered how it played.
    Anybody viewing this thread who has a question about ANY version of Double Dragon should just head over to: www.classicgaming.com/doubledragon

They have a full review of every official Double Dragon game ever released (original and sequels), regardless of the platform, including mobile phone versions and obscure computer versions. Spectrum, C64, Amiga, NES, Game Gear, PC Engine, Arcade versions, whatever. It's there. They might be missing the hacks, homebrews and possibly the XBLA version but those are inconsequential.

Here is what you are looking for regarding the 7800 version:

http://doubledragon.classicgaming.ga...mparisons.html

http://doubledragon.classicgaming.ga...d/rdd7800.html
    Last edited by bangtango; 02-24-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

Double Dragon on the NES was badass, but my favorite was Double Dragon 2 , so hardcore!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Auzlander's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double Dragon III was in my opinion the hardest out of all of them. Partly the challenge, but mostly the game play. It didn't seem quite finished like the other 2 Double Dragons. They should have fix some of the game balance and big issues before it was released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double Dragon 2 is also one of my favorite games on the NES. I was almost obsessed with it for a year or so after it came out. I also loved the first one though, just not as much.

I never could get into Double Dragon 3 or Super Double Dragon though (I think it was because I had moved onto a Final Fight obsession by that point).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CelticJobber View Post
    Double Dragon 2 is also one of my favorite games on the NES. I was almost obsessed with it for a year or so after it came out. I also loved the first one though, just not as much.
    Brilliant stuff, isn't it? And better than the arcade version.

I got my copy of NES Double Dragon II the same year it came out for making straight A's the entire school year. Can't remember what grade I was in but my parents rewarded me with games for getting good grades during most of the NES/SNES era.

I had a lot of fun with that game. The music in the final boss room was awesome, too. Definitely worthy of the first game.

Quote Originally Posted by Auzlander View Post
    Double Dragon III was in my opinion the hardest out of all of them. Partly the challenge, but mostly the game play. It didn't seem quite finished like the other 2 Double Dragons. They should have fix some of the game balance and big issues before it was released.
    Agreed 100%. I've played a few ports of DDIII and all of them were difficult. I understand people in this thread seem to like it but I never saw anything in DDIII.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Agreed 100%. I've played a few ports of DDIII and all of them were difficult. I understand people in this thread seem to like it but I never saw anything in DDIII.
    I played Double Dragon on the Nes and hated it so much that I took it back. I still have the Genesis version but it's not that much fun either. I also have DD2 for Gameboy but it has DD3 cover art
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

"Fifty-thousand? You got fifty-thousand on Double Dragon?"

Har har har.

Anyways. I have never ever played Double Dragon. Am I missing something?
    DERP

Strawberry (Level 2) murdoc rose's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its a fun game one of the better of its style, liked 1 but was never good at it, two got harder and I remember 3 being even harder probably from not playing them any where near as much. over all every nes collection should have a copy of dd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course I played the first two arcade games, and thought they were great.
    I had DD for GameBoy, and DD1&2 for Amiga, but I always envied my friend Steve because he had DD2 for NES. I just rediscovered that game recently after getting a Retro Duo, and I have to say it still stands up well against other games in the genre.
    The music is just awesome. Some of the best on the NES, I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You got over 50,000 on Double Dragon?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I got DD2 for NES while I was grounded in 7th or 8th grade (I think it was a b-day). I was waaaay to excited not to play it, and the temptation was too much (I was grounded, so it wasn't allowed). I snuck into my room, turned the sound as low as it could go and was completely amazed at the awesomeness. The post-apocalyptic theme, while an 80s cliche, was just so damned well done for an NES game, and it still sucks me in. The music is among the best the NES had to offer. I actually figured out the "kill player 2 for extra lives" the very first time I turned on the game. Since the game had just come out, this trick was not even in magazines yet. I don't know why I did it, but I actually did it with the intention of seeing if this would happen (I guess my logic was that it worked in some games, so why not?). I don't have any idea why that seemed logical to me at the time, but I was thrilled that it actually worked when I tried. I believe I made it to level 6 or 8 on the first try and beat it on the second try. Eventually, I could beat the game on 1 life, but I still played it with an obsession. I just loved the hell out of that game.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone ever played the PCE CD version of DDII? I just started playing it today (via emu) and I am totally shocked that this version was never really talked about more. It's basically a port of the NES DDII game, but with better graphics, better music and much faster and more responsive gameplay. There are also animated cinemas with voiceovers inbetween levels, but since it's all in Japanese, it doesn't really impact too much, but it's still neat.

The character models, however, are truly something awful. Everybody looks like they stepped out of some 1980's corner tavern, as opposed to the punk-look that the NES version had. The 'Linda' model is just as husky as the 'Williams' model and she's even sporting a mohawk/mullet combo. The difficulty is a little higher, though. I didn't even make it past the 5th level (The Forest) on 'normal' difficulty. The 'Bolo' character does some real damage; infact, he can kill you in just a few hits, which is more realistic, seeing how he's twice your size.

But, like I mentioned earlier, the gameplay is far more responsive than any other version of DD. Your punches come out just as fast as you push the button and you actually have some range with your fists. Every move from the NES home version is here, except for the ability to knee rising enemies (not to be confused with the 'rising knee attack', which is still here). You could even do this in the arcade version, so I don't know if it's missing, or if my timing is off. My only gripe is that when you hit someone with either the 'hurricane kick'/'rising knee attack', they no longer go flying across the screen; instead, they just fall down with the same distance as if you knocked them down with a regular attack. Oh well... I still like this version quite a bit and when I get some more time, I'm gonna try and play all the way through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My all time favorite is the original Double Dragon on the SMS. I loved that game, played it almost everyday.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed Brother View Post
    Has anyone ever played the PCE CD version of DDII? I just started playing it today (via emu) and I am totally shocked that this version was never really talked about more. It's basically a port of the NES DDII game, but with better graphics, better music and much faster and more responsive gameplay. There are also animated cinemas with voiceovers inbetween levels, but since it's all in Japanese, it doesn't really impact too much, but it's still neat.
    I've heard about this version too but unfortunately never got a chance to play it. I've only played the arcade and Nes versions of DD2 and I'm alittle more fond of the Nes version just because I've played it so many different times.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    NES Double Dragon 2, I assume?

I'd rank them like this.

1. Arcade Double Dragon
    2. Genesis Double Dragon
    3. Gameboy Advance Double Dragon
    4. Gameboy (B & W) Double Dragon
    5. NES Double Dragon 2
    6. Arcade Double Dragon 2
    7. NES Double Dragon

What about these titles:

Rage of the Dragons (Neo Geo)
    Double Dragon (Neo Geo)
    Double Dragon (SMS)
    Double Dragon 2 (Gameboy (B&W)

The Best Fighter in HISTORY!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double Dragon 2

I Love this game for the NES...what can I say. The music and the game play is absolutely amazing. I play the game every Friday with my buddy. We drink and play DD2. Then when most of my friends are over...it's time to shut it off. Anyway...it's Friday again...so tonight...it will be game on. We beat the game many times...without losing a man on the second option no hitting mode. Now...were trying to beat the game with only one man and on the third option hitting mode. Whatever its called. LoL I hope you know what I mean. It's like the A, B and C option. Were trying to beat it on the C option with only one man. Anyway...I Love the game so much...I have 6 sealed NES DD2s and 1 sealed NES DD3. I looking to get sealed Super Double Dragon for SNES. That game is great to. It's all about Double Dragon goodness.

The Best Fighter in HISTORY!!!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved the Double Dragon games as a kid on my NES. I never knew about the arcades or the Genesis version, until well past the SNES days, so I never really felt I was missing much. Out of the 3- I have the fondest memories of DDII, as it was the 1st DD I was able to beat without the Game Genie. I'd play it in 2p mode and kill the other brother so I could have 7 (or was it 8) lives. I think this game is the most balanced, and you don't have to spend an insane amount of time mastering it.

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    How I was able to do that back then...I'll never know. It's a damn hard game. So much depends on luck (those walls that randomly smash out...ugh.).
    This is the most irritating thing about the original Double Dragon. It doesn't matter how good you are at the game, those brick walls can make or break you. It's pretty easy to lose all your lives here, and it's completely random according to a few walkthroughs I've read. I can't tell you how frustrating it is, to play 20 minutes of a near perfect game and then get your ass kicked here. It keeps me from playing it more.

I recently repurchased DDIII a few years ago, and haven't been able to get into it again because of the difficulty. I remember it being a little easier as a kid, but it was my least favorite of the 3. The fighting mechanics seem a lot clunkier in this game, than the 1st two. It's not a game that forgives error, which is disappointing because I don't really want to play it as much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

"50,000? You got 50,000 on Double Dragon!?"

Im sorry, I couldnt resist.

I have never played it before, is it really as good as I have heard?
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    Yes. Go buy yourself an arcade so that you can play the first two games. Or, if thats not a viable option, play the Genesis versions of 1 and 2. Two for Genesis is Japanese import only so that might be an obsticle too. Of course, you could just take the easy route and play both on the Nes, but wheres the fun in that.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    The original Double Dragon?

I think it is a great game but it is pretty brief. Almost Altered Beast brief.

The other thing is that a lot of people who play Final Fight, River City Ransom and Streets of Rage then go back to Double Dragon, they might find Double Dragon to be a little underwhelming compared to other games in the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneclown View Post
    What about these titles:

Rage of the Dragons (Neo Geo)
    Double Dragon (Neo Geo)
    Double Dragon (SMS)
    Double Dragon 2 (Gameboy (B&W)
    I just picked my absolute favorites in the list I did.

However, from your list:

-I never played the Neo Geo versions.
    -I never really liked the SMS version. Underling enemies are too tough and damaging them without taking hits yourself is tough.
    -Gameboy Double Dragon 2 is FUN. But I didn't really rank it because it isn't a genuine port of the arcade or NES version of Double Dragon 2. The developer just took some unrelated Japanese beat-em-up game, Americanized it and called it "Double Dragon 2" for Gameboy. Sure you already knew this, though.
    Last edited by bangtango; 04-25-2009 at 08:48 AM.