Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Wii Play Belong in Game Sales Charts?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Does Wii Play Belong in Game Sales Charts?

This game has consistently been at the top of game sales charts...but really, is this a game or just a Wiimote with a couple bonus games?

I say the latter. I seriously doubt if people would pick this up nearly the same quantities if it was game only and cost $10.

This game needs an asterisk by its sales figures, just like Bonds' home run record.
    Last edited by backguard; 02-20-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by backguard View Post
    This game has consistently been at the top of game sales charts...but really, is this a game or just a Wiimote with a couple bonus games?

I say the latter. I seriously doubt if people would pick this up nearly the same quantities if it was game only and cost $10.

This game needs an asterisk by its sales figures, just like Bonds' home run record.
    Had to bring up Bonds....the guy still had to hit that many. I really don't want to start it. Also A-Rod? Mcgwire? I still want Pete Rose and Shoeless in the Hall as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the latest Game Informer, they have an article about the top selling games of 2008, which Wii Play was #1 with 5.6 million units sold. They did indicate that it comes with a Wiimote.

I do like the pool on WiiPlay, but the other games I can take or leave. Really, it should have just been packed in along with WiiSports. It's more of a little tech demo for the WiiMote than an actual game.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure it's a game. It's a crappy little game you get for free when you buy a spare controller, but it's still a game. Steel Batalion is a game too, isn't it? We don't question if mario/duckhunt is a game, just because it came with the console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Comparison: Would you not count all copies of Guitar Hero from sales data just because they are sold with a guitar controller? Or do only disc copies count?

No. No you wouldn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To me, it's a game. There may not be much, but it's a game.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's my son's (5 years old) favorite Wii game, although Mario Party is close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

since i could care less about how well a game sells, why would it matter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    since i could care less about how well a game sells, why would it matter
    You should care, for the success of Wii Play and the Wii in general will, and is, greatly influencing the industry.

I wrote about this recently over at J2Games.com. Wii Play should have some sort of asterisk next to it in the history books and be looked upon as more of a pack-in than anything else. Viewing it as a legitimate success on its own is unwise.
    Last edited by RCM; 02-21-2009 at 08:57 AM.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    You should care, for the success of Wii Play and the Wii in general will, and is, greatly influencing the industry.

I wrote about this recently over at J2Games.com. Wii Play should have some sort of asterisk next to it in the history books and be looked upon as more of a pack-in than anything else. Viewing it as a legitimate success on its own is unwise.
    He does care… he stated that there is less caring he could do.

Does Wii Sports get an * as well? How about Super Mario Brothers? These game are some of the best selling of all times but they are pack in game. Buying the console means that this game is sold too.

The facts of the matter is that Wii Play is in 5.6 million homes. and it was purchased by 5.6 million consumers at $50 USD ea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    He does care… he stated that there is less caring he could do.

Does Wii Sports get an * as well? How about Super Mario Brothers? These game are some of the best selling of all times but they are pack in game. Buying the console means that this game is sold too.

The facts of the matter is that Wii Play is in 5.6 million homes. and it was purchased by 5.6 million consumers at $50 USD ea.
    Ugh, please.

Pack-in games are almost always counted separately. I'm sure this fact hasn't escaped you as you surely noticed Wii Sports was not counted as the top selling title of 2008 in NA (but as a pack-in it was). Pack-ins have always been, and should be, viewed differently in terms of sales performance.

As for Wii Play, your statement is a little off. While Wii Play is indeed in 5.6 million homes, the total number actually far exceeds that as it's been on sale for roughly two years now.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Ugh, please.

Pack-in games are almost always counted separately. I'm sure this fact hasn't escaped you as you surely noticed Wii Sports was not counted as the top selling title of 2008 in NA (but as a pack-in it was). Pack-ins have always been, and should be, viewed differently in terms of sales performance.
    *shrug*
    I believe I have seen mention of Wii Sports becoming the best selling game of all times - dethroning another pack-in game - Super Mario Brothers.

Wii Sports is the best selling game ever

Whether if it is right to call it that can be for debate…

As for Wii Play, your statement is a little off. While Wii Play is indeed in 5.6 million homes, the total number actually far exceeds that as it's been on sale for roughly two years now.
    My apologize… I do not have proper sale figures but I am just try to say that Wii Play is indeed in very many homes and that each one at one point was a sale at full retail and current price of $50

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed, the only reason it's on the chart at all is because it comes with the Wii remote, I don't think it should be listed at all, it's not comparable to anything else especially packin games for a system or things like that.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coreys429 View Post
    Had to bring up Bonds....the guy still had to hit that many. I really don't want to start it. Also A-Rod? Mcgwire? I still want Pete Rose and Shoeless in the Hall as well.
    Agree with everything you said except for Rose.

And to the OP, it's a game first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Ugh, please.

It just kills you that a Wii game is in first place, doesn't it?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

It came with my Wii package (with the remote), but I haven't even turned it on once. Way more interesting things on the Wii than that. Even so, I guess it is a game - although, had I been given the choice about whether to include that with the controller, I would have opted for a cheaper controller and no Wii Sports.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Siding with the argument that it's a game with a packed in controller, just like Singstar, Guitar Hero, Steel Batallion, Buzz, and a laundry list of other games.

I wish that everyone that thought along these lines would take some time out of their day to actually spend some time learning about steroids and what they actually do. People sure do seem to have double standards on performance enhancing drugs or medical augmentations in other professions...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not only is it a game. To my daughter it is THE game. If you want to see my little girl cry, tell her I sold it. She will be devastated. My wife also plays it quite a lot. I bet even without a controller I would have been coerced into buying this.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Last weekend I went to a local theater to watch my sister and her husband act in a couple of plays. During intermission, a family behind me was talking about a game they had played and really enjoyed. The father really got into the pool game, the teenage daughter loved that "match up bubble game" (and even professed she finally beat her mother at it) and they all said they were evenly matched with the "tank game". They were talking about Wii Play and they were genuinely enthusiastic over it and after continued conversation on the Wii the other family/couple they were talking to were chattering about getting a system themselves.

For gamers it may be a weak title, but for everyone else on the planet, it's digital crack.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't care what any of you say, Tanks kicks ass!

I will add that a sale is a sale...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives