Thread: So many dodgy Super Famicoms!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Default So many dodgy Super Famicoms!!!

The SF that I'd been using has a loose cartridge connector. Basically, if you even touch the system the thing freezes up. That is not a nice thing, especially when I'm living in Japan and earthquakes are semi-common!

So, fed up with my gimped SF, I picked up a new one (new to me, anyway) for 315yen from a local Hard-Off. They have tons of them. It doesn't matter if they are clean, dirty, yellowed, not-yellowed, etc.; they are all 315yen with tax. Of course, this one has the same problem! http://www.digitpress.com/forum/imag...2003_vocal.gif Finally, the third one worked just fine.

For 315yen(about US$3), it's not really worth fixing them up. I'm just wondering if this is a common thing with Super Famicoms (or even Super Nintendos), or if I'm just unlucky.

Oh well, my next goal is to collect the three Parodius game on it. Should be easy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had a couple like that myself, which is odd as I don't remember having a SNES like that.

Incidentally, what Hard-Off do you normally visit? Mine don't seem to have SFC systems that often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every cartridge based console will need a tightening of its cartridge connector, not just the NES. Just use a jeweler's screwdriver to tighten the contacts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I opened my SNES and tried to tighten the contact like you do for a NES connector.

I couldn't figure out how to do it. Everytime I tried to spring a pin towards the middle they would go out of their little plastic rack, which I'm fairly sure isn't a good idea.

I would love to know how I can do it. My ghetto solution right now is to use a folded paper sheet between on the front or the back of the cartridge to stabilize the cartridge in the slot and force the connection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    I've had a couple like that myself, which is odd as I don't remember having a SNES like that.

Incidentally, what Hard-Off do you normally visit? Mine don't seem to have SFC systems that often.
    Without being too specific (it shouldn't be too hard to guess where I'm going, though), there are a few that I visit in south Saitama. I've been to a few in western Saitama as well, but they are usually lacking. I've heard there there are a few in Omiya, but I haven't gotten to them yet. I'm curious to see if they have anything decent.

How about you? You're over in Chiba, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you guys get them for 3 dollars!!!!!!! where i live they charge 40

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    Without being too specific (it shouldn't be too hard to guess where I'm going, though), there are a few that I visit in south Saitama. I've been to a few in western Saitama as well, but they are usually lacking. I've heard there there are a few in Omiya, but I haven't gotten to them yet. I'm curious to see if they have anything decent.

How about you? You're over in Chiba, right?
    Yup! My most local one is at Inage Kaigan (close to the office) -- it's a very well trafficked store and always has cool stuff that doesn't stay for long (they had a pile of PC-FX of all things last I was there). There's another in Ichikawa that's merely OK - except for the 64DD I scored there for like nothing. There's another I quite like in the Sakura area of Chiba - also not too far from the office.

It's funny, last weekend I found my first real turd of a Hard-Off. They had a good selection but awful prices, even in the junk section. So in the unlikely event you find yourself in Ichihara, avoid the one there!

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My SNES has a similar problem, although it's a loose power connector. Same fate though, simply touching the system is almost bound to kill your game...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My original SNES was fine, and for reference, it was a 1995 unit. When that one broke, I replaced it with a used unit. This replacement unit was definitely more wobbly and crash-prone, almost to the point where it was impossible to use a Game Genie on it, let alone flip the GG's switch. I'm currently "babysitting" my friend's SNES collection while he gets situated in college out-of-state, and his SNES must be an original model because it has the tabs that extend with the power switch. These lock the cartridge in place when the power is on, and prevent the oldstyle "flat bottom half" cartridges from being pulled out. I'm not sure if the Super Famicom had these revisions, but an older unit may be the way to go.

My solution: use my Retro Duo. If I feel like playing Mario RPG, I'll bear the wobbly SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire View Post
    To be somewhat fair, for about 3 dollars, you don't get any connections or controllers.

Super Famicom - 300yen (uncleaned and unchecked; 1000-4000yen if cleaned and checked)
    Controllers - 100-300yen each
    AV cord - 500-1000yen
    AC adaptor - 500-1200yen

These are Hard-Off prices

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    Yup! My most local one is at Inage Kaigan (close to the office) -- it's a very well trafficked store and always has cool stuff that doesn't stay for long (they had a pile of PC-FX of all things last I was there). There's another in Ichikawa that's merely OK - except for the 64DD I scored there for like nothing. There's another I quite like in the Sakura area of Chiba - also not too far from the office.

It's funny, last weekend I found my first real turd of a Hard-Off. They had a good selection but awful prices, even in the junk section. So in the unlikely event you find yourself in Ichihara, avoid the one there!
    I'd love to come down and check it out... but I'd never convince the wife that it's a good idea to take an hour trip to Chiba just to look at some old gaming stuff! She'd look like this little red guy:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    My solution: use my Retro Duo. If I feel like playing Mario RPG, I'll bear the wobbly SNES.
    No way. Those retro knockoffs are too ugly. I'll take the originals anyday, whether they work better or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd love to come down and check it out... but I'd never convince the wife that it's a good idea to take an hour trip to Chiba just to look at some old gaming stuff! She'd look like this little red guy:
    Heh! Well if she's ever busy on a weekend and you want to meet up let me know I can give "Le Grande Tour de Chiba"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SF that I'd been using has a loose cartridge connector. Basically, if you even touch the system the thing freezes up. That is not a nice thing, especially when I'm living in Japan and earthquakes are semi-common!

So, fed up with my gimped SF, I picked up a new one (new to me, anyway) for 315yen from a local Hard-Off. They have tons of them. It doesn't matter if they are clean, dirty, yellowed, not-yellowed, etc.; they are all 315yen with tax. Of course, this one has the same problem! http://www.digitpress.com/forum/imag...2003_vocal.gif Finally, the third one worked just fine.

For 315yen(about US$3), it's not really worth fixing them up. I'm just wondering if this is a common thing with Super Famicoms (or even Super Nintendos), or if I'm just unlucky.

Oh well, my next goal is to collect the three Parodius game on it. Should be easy!

i have this problem with snes decks alot, 99% of the time it isnt a fucked up cart slot, just a very dirty one. i use the official snes cleaner cart with the felt pad soaked in rubbing alcohol (the higher the %, the better. i usually get 90-99%) after a few swipes up and down till they are cleaned they will usually be able to have the cart smacked around a bit without crashing or glitching up, i clean all my snes decks till they are like that.
    meow :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you considered looking for a replacement 62 pin connector? Changing the pin connector might tighten up the console grip on the carts...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by PSerge View Post
    Have you considered looking for a replacement 62 pin connector? Changing the pin connector might tighten up the console grip on the carts...
    On a 300yen/$3 system? No.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire View Post
    Wow, forty dollars? That had better include labor/service.

I sell the connectors wholesale for even cheaper and you could probably go on ebay to get the connectors for less than $5 each.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    Wow, forty dollars? That had better include labor/service.

I sell the connectors wholesale for even cheaper and you could probably go on ebay to get the connectors for less than $5 each.
    I paid $40 for my SNES back in mid 2005, with one controller. I got a second controller and five games, so it came to $90 plus tax total. Now, if the system had been broken or something (or the games nonfunctional) the place would take them back or fix them, such as when I get a disc-based game there I can take it back to have them resurface it to try to make itwork, but SNESes are that expensive...

Actually, more now; I think the last SNES I saw there was $50, $45 at least. Genesises are $20 easy with cords, controller(s) and games, but Super Nintendos are definitely more expensive, for whatever reason... the same generally goes for the games, when the prices are different Genesis games are usually the cheaper ones.

My SNES is an older one and does have a touchy power plug (you sometimes have to rotate it after plugging the cord into the back for the system to power on), but otherwise is in great shape.