Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kinda gets me pissed (Wii, 360)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

The Wii has become a black hole of money with a gratuitous amount of SHOVELWARE clogging it up.
    DERP

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I recall they said the crash was caused by a boatload of crap just being unloaded on the masses. I wonder why the quality release isn't more tightened.
    neo geo system

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    If I recall they said the crash was caused by a boatload of crap just being unloaded on the masses. I wonder why the quality release isn't more tightened.
    I wonder the same. Boojay hit something on Nintendo playing by their own rules. They are going into the NES days of their releases. It's horrible that when people talk about the Wii's greatest games, they are more than a year old. Yes they are fantastic, but damn once you beat them it's usually it. I consider myself a Nintendo Fanboy, so this is kind of weird because it seems like I am bashing the console, which I am not.
    I just want to see the company that I came to prefer and enjoy their systems and games to be pushing for more great games and not let Zoo games do their crap. For years I defended the whole Nintendo image, and now I am realizing that I have been blind for the past 2 generations
    I still prefer Ninty's games, but there gaps of great...no x that, good games is very wide. 1st party usually is the same year in and out, although good...mix it up. Don't let the Wii's green eyed monster take every game that wants to come out...PLEASE stop the Lumberjack game hahaha.

"...its just I know Nintendo can do better than what they have been doing"

THANK YOU Makaar. I know they are the best at what they do, but it's hard to say they are better with the crap out right now. In the small time I have had the 360 I have gotten more games if I compare the same timespan I've had the Wii, and enjoyed them more.
    Last edited by demen999; 02-24-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In every "there's not enough good games on the Wii" thread I've ever seen, there's always what I call the "surprise Zelda" phenomenon. Someone will mention that a new Zelda or a new Mario platformer are almost definitely coming. The thing about that, though, is that even if Nintendo decides to break its recent pattern and grace us with more than one of these games during a console generation, it would almost certainly be at least a year -after- the announcement of these games before they are released. It's just not convincing me that the Wii's console library is strong because maybe, if Nintendo sees fit, in a year or two, there will be more Zelda and Mario games for it.

I agree that the 360 has a steadier stream of stuff that is interesting and isn't so clogged with shovelware. The Wii has some admittedly great games out already, but even a schedule that includes House of the Dead Overkill, Conduit and Madworld is really no comparison to the amount of the recently released and upcoming 360 games that look good. It's like the "pretty good, for the Wii" situation that you always get when talking about how Wii games look visually. This handful of upcoming games will satisfy the tastes of more traditional gamers "pretty good, for the Wii," but just a couple of games like this can't really compare to all the choices out there on the other consoles.
    Last edited by shopkins; 02-24-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

^^ Agreed.
    Another things that people keep doing is the whole Wii can't do great graphics. Yes it can, you just don't wanna bother. See below what the prod. of RE5 said:

“When we set out to make ‘Resident Evil 5,’ the guys knew that if you want to make the most powerful, most pretty game, the Wii isn’t the best choice. From a business perspective it may have been, but after making this game we are happy with the choice we made.” - Capcom’s Jun Takeuchi

GONINTENDO LINK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I dunno about ratio, but there are more Wii games that interest me compared to the other two platforms. And I can't stand Animal Crossing or Endless Ocean. I'm not even that big of a Nintendo fan.
    Agree completely. Only a very few 360 games interest me. I have both, but I have bought more many more Wii games, regardless of how many crappy games the system has.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Yeah me too (30+), but I just got 360 in December, and am at 8 or 10 already. I LOVE Endless Ocean, it's soo damn awesome. I wish it had LIVE and a bigger ocean. It is trully one of the most overlooked titles when it came out. No voice chat totally killed the online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

I was so pumped for the Wii when it was announced and when it came out...but they really haven't done much with it. They are just surfing on the novelty of the motion sensitive controllers. Its upsetting, because we all know that Nintendo is capable of some pretty epic stuff, but the Wii is beginning to dissapoint. I pretty much use my Wii for the virtual console and Super mario Galaxy, and my 360 for everything else.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    Agree completely. Only a very few 360 games interest me. I have both, but I have bought more many more Wii games, regardless of how many crappy games the system has.
    Ok, but can someone please be specific about what new games they have purchased for the Wii in the last 12 months that have been so much better than the variety that's available on the 360? I mean I own all the first party Nintendo stuff and a lot of other games, so numerically, I probably have almost as many Wii games as 360 games, but I can't off the top of my head think of anything that great that has come out since SMG. The only stuff I'm aware of this past year was Animal Crossing and Music (Mario Kart and Super Smash didn't really seem that different than the GC versions to me, so I don't really think those count), both of which I played for about 15 minutes and then quickly put into a storage box, unlikely to ever play again. Even the hyped exclusive releases like Deadly Creatures and Mushroom Men kinda disappointed me in that they really turned out to just be mediocre 3D hack and slash/platform games. House of the Dead Overkill was fun for a couple hours, but it too got old pretty fast. I know for sure that with the exception of SMG and Zelda, I have never spent more than 5 hours playing a single Wii game in total while on the 360, I would say I have played the vast majority of games I own for 8-10 hours and some for a lot longer than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Ok, but can someone please be specific about what new games they have purchased for the Wii in the last 12 months that have been so much better than the variety that's available on the 360? I mean I own all the first party Nintendo stuff and a lot of other games, so numerically, I probably have almost as many Wii games as 360 games, but I can't off the top of my head think of anything that great that has come out since SMG. The only stuff I'm aware of this past year was Animal Crossing and Music (Mario Kart and Super Smash didn't really seem that different than the GC versions to me, so I don't really think those count), both of which I played for about 15 minutes and then quickly put into a storage box, unlikely to ever play again. Even the hyped exclusive releases like Deadly Creatures and Mushroom Men kinda disappointed me in that they really turned out to just be mediocre 3D hack and slash/platform games. House of the Dead Overkill was fun for a couple hours, but it too got old pretty fast. I know for sure that with the exception of SMG and Zelda, I have never spent more than 5 hours playing a single Wii game in total while on the 360, I would say I have played the vast majority of games I own for 8-10 hours and some for a lot longer than that.
    I love how you take two of the strongest points against your argument and try to discount them by saying they're non-entities because they are sequels.

My family puts a lot of time into our Wii games, especially Mario Party 8, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Wii Play (I play with my son a couple hours every week), and Wii Fit.

On 360, I've only bought one game new at or near release - Culdcept Saga. The rest I own (GH3, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, and another RPG I can never remember because I found it ultra cheap at Blockbuster but haven't actually played) I bought used well after release. GH3 & Culdcept I put a lot of time into but have put aside. The others I haven't spent much time with.

Honestly, though, the time I spend playing Wii & 360 is dwarfed by the time I spend on my DS, and gaming laptops, but I don't say that to try and draw it into the comparison, just to explain why I'm not spending a ton of time on either console.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    I love how you take two of the strongest points against your argument and try to discount them by saying they're non-entities because they are sequels.

My family puts a lot of time into our Wii games, especially Mario Party 8, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Wii Play (I play with my son a couple hours every week), and Wii Fit.

On 360, I've only bought one game new at or near release - Culdcept Saga. The rest I own (GH3, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, and another RPG I can never remember because I found it ultra cheap at Blockbuster but haven't actually played) I bought used well after release. GH3 & Culdcept I put a lot of time into but have put aside. The others I haven't spent much time with.

Honestly, though, the time I spend playing Wii & 360 is dwarfed by the time I spend on my DS, and gaming laptops, but I don't say that to try and draw it into the comparison, just to explain why I'm not spending a ton of time on either console.
    It's not just that they are sequels, it's that they are sequels that don't really add anything to the gaming experience. I own every version of Mario Kart from the SNES to the Wii and I also own Super Smash Bros. N64 through to the Wii and I don't really think the Wii versions of either game provide anything amazing to push the respective games forward. They look prettier, but that's not enough to make me want to play them for hours and hours. I think the same thing applies to Project Gotham Racing on the Xbox and 360. I own all four of them, but I'm not gonna sit here and try to convince you that PGR4 is significantly different or better than the first one on the original Xbox.

I can understand how if you have small children, the Wii might be a lot of fun and the games you mentioned are a lot of fun for parties and family gaming. I don't think that's what the original poster is complaining about and it's really not relevant to this whole discussion. The issue is as a more mature gamer who wants to play some great single player games, the Wii hasn't delivered on that front in the same way the 360 has. It's not a criticism of the Wii per se, but it is a problem when the attach rate for the console (i.e. the number of games people actually buy for it) is super low, such that the larger third parties who might actually make more complex games are just plain staying away. It makes the Wii a bad purchase for those of us who bought it at launch and just assumed that Nintendo would find a way to take a highly successful product and leverage that into a great game library that satisfied not just "casual gamers" or kids and families, but also those of us who have been gaming for a very long time. Look, if all Nintendo wants to do is appeal to those family consumers, I have no problem with that since it obviously is very, very profitable. But if that's the case, I would appreciate it if people would stop defending Nintendo and admit that the Wii is not necessarily a system that is great for all of us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario Kart and Super Smash didn't really seem that different than the GC versions to me, so I don't really think those count
    they are sequels that don't really add anything to the gaming experience.
    Online play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Online play.
    The online for Brawl was a sad laggy nightmare at times.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, but can someone please be specific about what new games they have purchased for the Wii in the last 12 months that have been so much better than the variety that's available on the 360? I mean I own all the first party Nintendo stuff and a lot of other games, so numerically, I probably have almost as many Wii games as 360 games, but I can't off the top of my head think of anything that great that has come out since SMG. The only stuff I'm aware of this past year was Animal Crossing and Music (Mario Kart and Super Smash didn't really seem that different than the GC versions to me, so I don't really think those count), both of which I played for about 15 minutes and then quickly put into a storage box, unlikely to ever play again.
    Honestly, you just mentioned 4 games -- Animal Crossing, Wii Music, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros. -- that I don't give a damn about. But I'll list some games below. I don't know about "so much better" -- I'm not going to claim that the 360 sucks. Actually, the 360 may have "better" games even. What makes me prefer the Wii overall is the quantity (of games that I'm interested in). I don't just play the top 5 best games of the year, I play anything that's fun.

Some Wii games of the past year:

House of the Dead: Overkill
    Tenchu: Shadow Assassins
    Sam & Max Season One
    Dokapon Kingdom
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
    Shaun White Snowboarding Road Trip
    King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga
    Order Up!
    de Blob
    Wario Land: Shake It
    Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
    Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked
    Boom Blox
    Speed Racer
    Baroque
    Okami
    Blast Works
    Castle of Shikigami III
    House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
    No More Heroes
    Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection

Even the hyped exclusive releases like Deadly Creatures and Mushroom Men kinda disappointed me in that they really turned out to just be mediocre 3D hack and slash/platform games. House of the Dead Overkill was fun for a couple hours, but it too got old pretty fast. I know for sure that with the exception of SMG and Zelda, I have never spent more than 5 hours playing a single Wii game in total while on the 360, I would say I have played the vast majority of games I own for 8-10 hours and some for a lot longer than that.
    I like shorter games. Some of my favorite games of all time are games that can be beaten in one sitting. They remain my favorites because I can come back later, and play through it again. If a game is 40+ hours long, I'm not likely to ever bother reaching the ending. After I've spent a certain amount of time on a game, I want to move on to something else.

Sonic 2 is considered one of the best platformers ever, and how long does it take to get through? Half an hour? Parappa the Rapper was a pretty big hit and practically spawned a whole genre, and the game is what, 40 minutes long? I don't know when or why "longer=better" became the rule, but I don't like it. And by the way, House of the Dead is a light gun game, how long do you really expect it to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Wow I have brought up some subject! It's sad that it seems like I'm bad mouthing Nintendo (My favorite co.), but when something is wrong...it's wrong. They need to stop all this fluff they got going on, and step up those games. Look at Halo, MS biggest franchise. What did they do, turn it into a RTS! Guess what, IT WORKS. Find different ways to convey the same characters if you don't want to change them or do new ones. Give us something different, new, and still with that Nintendo polished quality.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Honestly, you just mentioned 4 games -- Animal Crossing, Wii Music, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros. -- that I don't give a damn about. But I'll list some games below. I don't know about "so much better" -- I'm not going to claim that the 360 sucks. Actually, the 360 may have "better" games even. What makes me prefer the Wii overall is the quantity (of games that I'm interested in). I don't just play the top 5 best games of the year, I play anything that's fun.

Some Wii games of the past year:

House of the Dead: Overkill
    Tenchu: Shadow Assassins
    Sam & Max Season One
    Dokapon Kingdom
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
    Shaun White Snowboarding Road Trip
    King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga
    Order Up!
    de Blob
    Wario Land: Shake It
    Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
    Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked
    Boom Blox
    Speed Racer
    Baroque
    Okami
    Blast Works
    Castle of Shikigami III
    House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
    No More Heroes
    Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection

I like shorter games. Some of my favorite games of all time are games that can be beaten in one sitting. They remain my favorites because I can come back later, and play through it again. If a game is 40+ hours long, I'm not likely to ever bother reaching the ending. After I've spent a certain amount of time on a game, I want to move on to something else.

Sonic 2 is considered one of the best platformers ever, and how long does it take to get through? Half an hour? Parappa the Rapper was a pretty big hit and practically spawned a whole genre, and the game is what, 40 minutes long? I don't know when or why "longer=better" became the rule, but I don't like it. And by the way, House of the Dead is a light gun game, how long do you really expect it to be?
    Yes, games in previous generations were shorter. We don't live in previous generations and I'm not 12 years old anymore. Hey, like I said, if you like short games, the Wii is probably a great system for you. I'm looking for very in-depth gaming experiences and again, I believe that's what the original post is about. There is no technical reason the Wii can't play more complex games, right?

I have every one of those games you listed above and the only games that kept my attention for more than a couple of hours were Baroque (also available in an identical version on PS2), Tales of Symphonia and Tenchu. I can't help but notice a lot of straight up PS2 ports which did nothing to take advantage of the Wii control scheme on that list and several games that really weren't good at all (Lost in Blue was terrible compared to the DS games). So to clarify, if anyone has examples of games similar to Bioshock, Halo 3, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Fable 2, etc in complexity and depth for the Wii, I would love to hear about them. Otherwise, let's just agree that the Wii is not designed or is not being used for those type of gaming experiences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, games in previous generations were shorter. We don't live in previous generations and I'm not 12 years old anymore. Hey, like I said, if you like short games, the Wii is probably a great system for you. I'm looking for very in-depth gaming experiences and again, I believe that's what the original post is about. There is no technical reason the Wii can't play more complex games, right?

I have every one of those games you listed above and the only games that kept my attention for more than a couple of hours were Baroque (also available in an identical version on PS2), Tales of Symphonia and Tenchu. I can't help but notice a lot of straight up PS2 ports which did nothing to take advantage of the Wii control scheme on that list and several games that really weren't good at all (Lost in Blue was terrible compared to the DS games). So to clarify, if anyone has examples of games similar to Bioshock, Halo 3, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Fable 2, etc in complexity and depth for the Wii, I would love to hear about them. Otherwise, let's just agree that the Wii is not designed or is not being used for those type of gaming experiences.
    I agree completely, the Wii is not being used for that type of gaming experience (with perhaps a tiny handful of exceptions). But that's not what you asked for. You're moving the goalposts.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if anyone has examples of games similar to Bioshock, Halo 3, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Fable 2, etc in complexity and depth for the Wii, I would love to hear about them.
    I don't know if this is the answer you're looking for, but

Battalion Wars 2
    Bully: Scholarship Edition
    Call of Duty: World at War
    Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
    The Godfather: Blackhand Edition
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Medal of Honor Heroes 2
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

are "mature," polished, in-depth Wii games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only Wii game I'm really looking forward to this year is this:
    http://tmntgame.us.ubi.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have every one of those games you listed above
    I'm fascinated that you're complaining about a lack of games to play, but apparently have bought WAY more games than the average Wii owner. If you're upset about the quantity of in-depth games as you say, why are you buying all these games?