Thread: I LOVE "Modern" gaming once again!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default I LOVE "Modern" gaming once again!!!

There was a time when I looked forward to new games. I would buy them upon release, play them all day and all night until I had them beat, and then play them over again. I’m not sure what it was but when the Dreamcast died my enthusiasm for gaming withered. I still enjoyed everything from the 2600 through the DC but new games just didn’t seem to excite me the way they had before.

I still went on and bought my Game Cube, PS2 and Xbox and tons of games for each of them. I had the most for the PS2 (around 90ish). Anytime I saw a game that I thought would appeal to me, I would check out reviews and trailers for some info, or I would rent it first, and if I thought it was worth it I would pick it up (same thing I have done all my life). But regardless whatever game it was I always just thought it was “ok”. Yeah it was somewhat enjoyable while I was playing it but when the system turned off the game left my mind. It felt like I was playing the game just to kill time because I had nothing better to do. Then it might be a few days or even weeks before I would sit back down and play the game again.

Gaming has always been a HUGE part of my life and I was depressed and jaded that the excitement just didn’t seem to be there anymore for new games. Since 2001 there have only been 2 games that I have truly loved (they shall remain anonymous). After investing thousands of dollars on the PS2, GC, and Xbox and in return only found 2 games that I thought were worthwhile, I told myself “This is it!” I would continue to buy older games and systems, but I would never again buy a new system.

Then I saw the trailer for Bullet Witch! Regardless, I stayed true to my word and refused to buy a new system. However, I constantly watched the trailer for Bullet Witch and checked out new screenshots and any bit of info I could find as its release drew near. All I talked about with my girlfriend was Bullet Witch this and Bullet Witch that. I’m sure she got tired of hearing about it but she pretended to care Finally it was released and the reviews rolled in…… need I explain? The first game to spark my interest in years and everyone seemed to agree… it sucked…

Fast forward (2 years?) and my girlfriend bought me a 360 for V. day (she’s too good to me). The first game I bought was, you guessed it, Bullet Witch! But I found myself hesitant to try it out. What if I didn’t like it? The ENTIRE reason that I wanted a 360 was resting on this game. I held my breath, put the game in the tray and let it load.

BULLET WITCH IS THE BEST DAMN GAME I HAVE PLAYED IN 7 OR 8 YEARS!!! It’s been a long time coming. I’m so happy!!! It has completely REIVIGORATED my spirit for gaming! I just beat the game a few hours ago and now I’m going back through it again on a different difficulty level. It’s been years since I have been so enthusiastic about a game. These past few days I have been getting up early to squeeze in a game before work, and when I was at work I was constantly thinking about how to pass the level that I was stuck on. Then when I got home, after waking my girlfriend and seeing her off to work, I would sit down and play for a few hours.

I realize that most people didn’t find Bullet Witch very good, and that’s okay, to each their own. But I absolutely LOVE it!!! I’m just so happy that I am excited about a new game again. I’m sure I could keep ranting and raving but I said all I needed to say!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Welcome back.

I haven't played Bullet Witch, but I had a real similar chain of events when Bioshock came out on the 360. I didn't have a decent PC, but I was just captivated by the ambience and the dark ideas that game seemed to contain. So, I blew the cash on a 360 and a copy of Bioshock and hoped for the best.

I wasn't disappointed at all, and ever since then I've been a huge fan of the Xbox as a whole. It's a very good system. I ended up getting a PS3 some time later and I really enjoy it as well.

I don't know what was wrong with the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation. There just was hardly anything I ever found interesting, but for some reason the newer consoles just do a much better job portraying those modern-gaming concepts. I really love the new focus on atmosphere having an interesting ambience (yes that's my $5 word of the day) with stuff like the aforementioned 'Shock, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, etc.

Hell, EA's even got some decent games on the market now for the first time since they did all those Amiga ports on the Genesis. This is a great console generation. I hope it lasts for more than a couple years.
    Last edited by Graham Mitchell; 02-27-2009 at 09:35 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Come on you can't write something like that and not tell us what the 2 games you truly love are. With Bullet Witch being the best in 7-8 I'm really curious as the other 2 you love are...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    BULLET WITCH IS THE BEST DAMN GAME I HAVE PLAYED IN 7 OR 8 YEARS!!!
    I'm so very sorry.

Seriously though, don't forget to download the free alternative outfits on XBL.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    EviLEd76
    PSN
    EviLEd76

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I'm so very sorry.

Seriously though, don't forget to download the free alternative outfits on XBL.
    Yes! Esp the one school girl one. The one with the short plaid skirt. I only noticed cause i was walking slowly through this area on the first board and was very pleased.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know your EXACT feeling.

I was so disillusioned after the 16 bit era and didn't play much through the 32/64 bit eras.... until I played Virtua Tennis on the DC at a friend's place. That game alone got me back into gaming in a HUGE way. For the first time I had FUN again and my eyes didn't bleed from horrific clunky 3D graphics.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You were re-invigorated by Bullet Witch, of all games? You're going to shit your pants when you play some really exceptional ones.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

If you like Bullet Witch you should check out Earth Defense Force 2017 and Onechanbara as well. Hard to find games that are easy to pick up and hard to 100% and don't take themselves too seriously nowadays. But when you can find one, it's great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

This is probably the one decent thing Bullet Witch ever did for humanity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bullet Witch left a very big positive impact on me as well. I had never liked these sorts of shooter games before. But Bullet Witch appealled to me because of it's magic, simple gameplay, and, quite honestly, getting to stare at Alicia while playing.

Bullet Witch pulled me in and kept me playing it, and I still pop it in the 360 to this day. It has provided some of the most immersive videogaming I've ever played. I still have chills run down my spine when I hear those gibbering things in the subway.

I wish there could be a sequel with co-op multiplayer. "Bullet Witches" or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recent got Bullit Witch ar Sears for $4.97 on clearance. I hope its fun when I play it but I'm not looking for anything life altering....atleast not until the next Guy Game comes out.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Yes, I think I have seen Bullet Witch around $10 often. I think it has got to be worth that much. It's taken awhile for it to reach an acceptable price point...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    If you like Bullet Witch you should check out Earth Defense Force 2017 and Onechanbara as well. Hard to find games that are easy to pick up and hard to 100% and don't take themselves too seriously nowadays. But when you can find one, it's great.
    True, this. EDF2017 still remains one of my favorite 360 titles. I can't speak for Onechanbara but I am seriously tempted by it whenever I see it. I did enjoy Bullet Witch a lot myself, damn that HELL mode achievement being worth 1 point!

If you like the whole beat and/or collect things to get better/faster/stronger, like in Bullet Witch, you'll probably enjoy EDF2017. Might wanna look into Crackdown as well, that was the best game that probably came out in the first half of 2007. If you have really wacky tastes like me, you might even find SOME enjoyment in Vampire Rain...

As far as underrated goes, look into Just Cause as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Welcome back.

I don't know what was wrong with the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation. There just was hardly anything I ever found interesting, but for some reason the newer consoles just do a much better job portraying those modern-gaming concepts.
    THANKS! You hit the nail on the head! It's not to say that there weren't any good games, just few of them appealed to me. I'm glad to see someone else is also enjoying "Modern gaming" once again!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Bullet Witch left a very big positive impact on me as well. I had never liked these sorts of shooter games before. But Bullet Witch appealled to me because of it's magic, simple gameplay, and, quite honestly, getting to stare at Alicia while playing.

Bullet Witch pulled me in and kept me playing it, and I still pop it in the 360 to this day. It has provided some of the most immersive videogaming I've ever played. I still have chills run down my spine when I hear those gibbering things in the subway.

I wish there could be a sequel with co-op multiplayer. "Bullet Witches" or something.
    I hear ya!!! I agree with what you said 100% and it's good to see that i'm not the only person that found this game to be pure bliss!

And yeah... those things in the Subway and in the forest were creepy as hell. As soon as I heard them gibbering it would send me into a panic. I would spin in circles looking for them and then one of them would jump out and start spewing fire. But nothing filled me with fear more than the snipers. They were so accurate and almost impossible to dodge. I would clear an area and think everything was fine. So I would just start walking around exploring a bit and then all of a sudden I would see a red beam flutter around Alicia and slowly target in on her!!! That would send me into a panic like nothing ever has. I would freak out and start jumping, running and flipping around looking for anything to obstruct his shot. Because unless you could find cover, once their laser sight homed in on you, you only had a few seconds left before you were dead!!! It got my adrenaline pumping!!!

Yeah! A sequel with co-op would be awesome or even death match. Your friend guns you down and then after you re-spawn you come back and fry his butt with the lightning spell!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skelix View Post
    Come on you can't write something like that and not tell us what the 2 games you truly love are. With Bullet Witch being the best in 7-8 I'm really curious as the other 2 you love are...
    Well....... I didn't feel the names of the 2 games were relevant to the post. The post wasn't supposed to be "about" Bullet Witch (or the other two games) but rather the impact it had on me.

I knew mentioning Bullet Witch alone would probably derail my own thread so I opted not to mention the other 2 games but here we go. Aside from Bullet Witch the only other games I have TRULY loved in the past 7 or so years are Panzer Dragoon Orta and Gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Good suggestions! I had been eying both of them and it's nice to see Onechanbara finally get a US release. I bought EDF 2017 the other night but I haven't tried it out yet as i'm playing back through Bullet Witch again. I also would like to pick up Onecahnbara next.

Both of the games intrigue me but i'm trying not to get my hopes up. In all seriousness, Bullet Witch set the standards so high for me, that I am afraid anything I play afterwards won't measure up and will be somewhat disappointing. Regardless i'll give EDF a go here in the next few days!

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Let us know how you like it, I always am glad to hear more talk about it

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah I was just curious as to the other 2 games... Never tried any of the Panzer Dragoons but have always meant to. As for Gun I also really enjoyed it although it didn't seem to get the good attention it should have.

I have Bullet Witch, well I have almost everything 360 wise it seems. I've never played it. It's just one of those games gathering dust.

I do have EDF and Onechanbara and enjoy both of them.

My problem is, if it's not a sports game I probably like it, or at least can find something about it I like. Hell I even played through Eragon and it didn't bother me too much.