Thread: PSP Survival - who gets to live? 1.5 worth anything anymore?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Default PSP Survival - who gets to live? 1.5 worth anything anymore?

So I got myself a launch japanese PSP back in the day I had updated all the way to 1.5... and stayed there. Then I got myself another identical one (it's a weird story) and got that one up to 3.xx something (so I could run ripped PS1 games on the unit)

My question is - is it even worth keeping a 1.5 PSP around or should I just update it all the way up and call it the "legal stuff" one - mainly so I can run the two Star Oceans I just bought

Or should I update the one with the wacky firmware to whatever version they're at with that stuff these days? It seems I have to relearn all this PSP hacking stuff every 6 months.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Do you run any actual home brew, or are you just 'rocking the ROM wagon"? If you aren't running actual home brew, there isn't much point in keeping your 1.5 kernel. There are work arounds for that now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jupitersj
    PSN
    jupitersj

http://www.howitshould.be/HOWTOcfw2latest.html

Easiest way to go from 1.5 or 3.xx to 5.00m33-4

Make sure the sony official upgrader(firmware) that you rename(i.e. 371.pbp, 500.pbp etc) is in the ROOT of the memory stick. It says it'll look in the recovery folder first then if it doesn't find it in the root....

but I found out for the 1.5 version it has to be in the root or it won't work and you'll get 0x8 blah blah blah errors.Every version to version works with it in the root so just stick it in the root. Leave the eboot.pbp that comes with the program in recovery folder though.

If you use the new custom firmware and want to play demos you downloaded from PSN(you have to download them to your ps3 or pc first, then transfer them via wifi/usb to psp as you'll be blocked from direct access to psn via psp cause real official firmware is at a higher number at the moment) hold R when booting your PSP then in recovery go to advanced and turn off game plugins. Your demos will work again instead of giving you an error.

Goodluck!

(1.5 kernal addon and/or LEDA can be installed later separately for homebrew that requires 1.5 kernal)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Do you run any actual home brew, or are you just 'rocking the ROM wagon"? If you aren't running actual home brew, there isn't much point in keeping your 1.5 kernel. There are work arounds for that now.
    Mainly it was for older emulators I've realized have all been replaced with newer versions. I just want to make sure I'm not painting myself into a corner I can't get out of if you know what I mean.

I also picked up a 4GB card I'd like to use for my emulation on the go.

Jupiter: Thanks for the link, everything worked out well... my 1.5 is now a 5.0 PSP and life is good (Star Oceanwise, will play with emulators later )
    Last edited by skaar; 02-28-2009 at 11:51 AM.