Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Killzone 2 out now...

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Killzone 2 out now...

I haven't tried it yet and was a bit surprised there was no current topic started. Anyone played it? Impressions? Go buy now? Wait for price drop? Forget it, go play Shaq-Fu? Tell me somethin'!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Other than my killzone 2 gets a date thread This hyped title landed with a whimper.
    neo geo system

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Can't say I'm that into it. Controls feel very sluggish. It's apparently an attempt to make it more realistic, but it's a game where you're dropped onto an alien planet on a spaceship. I'm not looking for realism; I just want to shoot stuff. Even after tinkering with the controls it still feels like everything is under water or a quarter of a second behind.

What is does is present itself so well you almost don't notice. Visuals are unreal, and with a proper sound system, this is the best audio you'll ever hear from a game. Cinematics are spectacular. Sadly, it seems to be lacking "those" moments. It's very straighforward, blow up red barrels, shoot some more, and walk down hallways. Aside from initial impressions on the audio/visual side, I'm still waiting for a "wow!" moment. Still have four hours left though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

downloaded the demo, going to give this one a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    Can't say I'm that into it. Controls feel very sluggish. It's apparently an attempt to make it more realistic, but it's a game where you're dropped onto an alien planet on a spaceship. I'm not looking for realism; I just want to shoot stuff. Even after tinkering with the controls it still feels like everything is under water or a quarter of a second behind.

What is does is present itself so well you almost don't notice. Visuals are unreal, and with a proper sound system, this is the best audio you'll ever hear from a game. Cinematics are spectacular. Sadly, it seems to be lacking "those" moments. It's very straighforward, blow up red barrels, shoot some more, and walk down hallways. Aside from initial impressions on the audio/visual side, I'm still waiting for a "wow!" moment. Still have four hours left though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I've played the first 4 single player missions and tried online for an hour or so last night. Quick review: Best (exclusive) shooter on the PS3. Pretty damn cool so far.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I picked it up yesterday,used a GS Giftcard from Christmas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Just finished it and remain entirely underwhelmed. It reminds of "Toshinden syndrome." It looks and sounds amazing, but it's hiding incredibly bland level design and action. The best action games of the day have those moments that truly astound. Resistance 2 has the Chicago level, Gears 2 has the Brumak riding, Halo 3 has the dual scarab fight, Killzone 2 has... lot of steps, elevators, and exploding barrels.

The ending sets up another sequel, after a boss fight that relies more on pouring ridiculous amounts of enemies from all corners. Weapons are bland, and the best only appear briefly like the electiricy gun. You're best bet are the machine guns and tons of grenades. It's a shame. There's a great game here, but it never pulls away from an incredibly generic shell of sloppy, sluggish controls and levels that fail to impress.

Don't let the visual power and audio fool you.

Insert Coin (Level 0) parallelprophet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NME_Prophet

I downloaded the demo last night and completed it......

AND THEN I WENT OUT AND BOUGHT IT TODAY.

I dare you to name a better FPS.

This game looks better, feels better, and sounds better than ANYTHING else out there. I remain simply amazed. (And I'm not a big FPS fan).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by parallelprophet View Post

Resistance 2. Call of Duty 4, World at War. Halo 3.

Need more?

I'm assuming you probably don't play a lot of shooters given you're not a fan of the genre. Take the time to look past the great visuals and audio. It doesn't do anything special. Low variety of enemies, level design is bland, and the majority of sections just keep enemies flowing to extend the games length.

I was like you. Loved the demo, and sadly that's the best part of the game. Nothing later can match the intensity of that opening sequence, from the bridge blowing up to the assault on the two tanks. Nothing special, just stairs and elevators in terms of design which is a crying shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NME_Prophet

Resistance 2. Call of Duty 4, World at War. Halo 3.
    Resistance 2 (Yawn....)
    COD4 (I have more time in Killzone 2 tonight than I do in CoD4 in over a year...thus this game is doing something right to keep my attention)
    Halo 3 (Love the Halo series, but 3 was a letdown compared to the tremendous jump from Halo 1 to 2).

EDIT BY GAC: Fixed Quote formatting.
    Last edited by GrandAmChandler; 02-28-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Just finished it and remain entirely underwhelmed. It reminds of "Toshinden syndrome." It looks and sounds amazing, but it's hiding incredibly bland level design and action. The best action games of the day have those moments that truly astound. Resistance 2 has the Chicago level, Gears 2 has the Brumak riding, Halo 3 has the dual scarab fight, Killzone 2 has... lot of steps, elevators, and exploding barrels.

The ending sets up another sequel, after a boss fight that relies more on pouring ridiculous amounts of enemies from all corners. Weapons are bland, and the best only appear briefly like the electiricy gun. You're best bet are the machine guns and tons of grenades. It's a shame. There's a great game here, but it never pulls away from an incredibly generic shell of sloppy, sluggish controls and levels that fail to impress.

Based on my run through the demo, your impressions seem to be the closest to my own. It just feels generic, and that's a terrible thing to be in an already overcrowded genre.

I've always been far more impressed with multiplayer demos of FPS games anyway, because honestly that's where you spend the most time, and I can't remember the last time I've been impressed with the single player campaign in a FPS title (Resistance 2 is a good example; great multiplayer, boring campaign).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Resistance 2 (Yawn....)
    COD4 (I have more time in Killzone 2 tonight than I do in CoD4 in over a year...thus this game is doing something right to keep my attention)
    Halo 3 (Love the Halo series, but 3 was a letdown compared to the tremendous jump from Halo 1 to 2).
    Wow. Halo 2 is probably the weakest entry in the series, at least from a single player standpoint, COD is the most widely played FPS at the moment (whether 4 or WaW), and I don't have any stats on Resistance 2, but the Chicago level brawl against the giant Chimera is something you don't forget. It also has the kick ass creepy level in the town that's been taken over with all of the eggs ready to hatch.

That's what Killzone 2 is missing. Obviously your FPS taste isn't the same and I respect that, but you're missing out on some fantastic experiences and gaming moments by letting Killzone 2 be the end all.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Doom, Doom 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem 3D.

Thank you, drive through.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up the game and I also agree. There is something off with the controls. Also to me having to use the p3 button to run seems cumbersome. I felt like the guy was moving in sand.

And the aiming was a litle floaty. Killzone 1 had similar aiming issues.

I know the ps2/3 can do it right because cold winters aiming and resistance was pretty good. Are the graphics preventing the controls from being fluid?
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Everyone is going to like a current shooter game for different reasons. Some play just the singleplayer modes, some play mostly for multiplayer, some play both. Killzone 2 from playing the demo looks to be like a solid shooter. I have played most of the "big names" of the the genere on consoles for the last 10 years.

For me personally, I am going to have to play the multiplayer mode to reserve any judgement for what I think about this shooter. Since Halo 2, I really have not gave a crap about story mode and single player modes. While I have played many story modes of games, many have been tagged on or have disapponted me in terms of length or replay value(There are great single player shooter titles out there[Half Life 2]) Playing with others through a campain is completely different, hence that to me is not "single player" and I love it.

I play for the multiplayer. Multiplayer is going to have to be great to have a chance. As with the controls, they do feel a little stiff, but that may be just because I have been playing so much COD4/5, everything else just feels slow to me.

I think that it will be interesting on how this stands up to Resistance 2, COD4, COD5 on the PS3. It is great to see a decent polished exclusive on the system, I just wonder with all the other great choices people have to play if there is going to be a big WOW factor with this one.

I for one will definately be renting this one and will wait till it is used before buying it.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm insterested on how challenging this is on tougher difficulties, anyone know?

I liked the first Halo and the thing that made it really great was the Legendary difficulty, really made the game shine. I also agree that Halo 2 was vastly inferior and overrated online and offline, then again I used to play the original Halo online on my Xbox through Gamespy Tunnel, so Halo online was nothing new to me at that time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

To me Halo 2 represents a model for current shooters in general. Offline a brief story mode, Online modes galore. I played Halo 2 for years online. For people who preferred Halo 1(story mode was vastly superior), I can see why Halo 2 was a letdown. When Halo 3 came out for me, I was pretty disappointed online. It did not have the wow factor, as there were other shooters, namely CoD4 that took the genere to the next level(though they only can be loosely compared, different types of shooters). The bottom line is that there are some great choices for people to play a whole bunch of shooters right now of different types. I wonder is Killzone 2 is going to get lost in the shuffle.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NME_Prophet

Wow. Halo 2 is probably the weakest entry in the series, at least from a single player standpoint, COD is the most widely played FPS at the moment (whether 4 or WaW), and I don't have any stats on Resistance 2, but the Chicago level brawl against the giant Chimera is something you don't forget. It also has the kick ass creepy level in the town that's been taken over with all of the eggs ready to hatch.

That's what Killzone 2 is missing. Obviously your FPS taste isn't the same and I respect that, but you're missing out on some fantastic experiences and gaming moments by letting Killzone 2 be the end all.
    ....well, I do get a little carried away when new games come out. KZ2 is a good game tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NME_Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    Doom, Doom 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem 3D.

Thank you, drive through.
    haha....yeah, I would probably agree. Can't name a better one on PS3 tho!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jupitersj
    PSN
    jupitersj

I agree. I was chilling at a friends house tonight who picked it up and I just could not get into it. We were playing the level where you have to hide from snipers(your partner keeps saying to stay away from the red lasers)...and the level with the white canisters on the ground that are volatile. The controls are sluggish and do NOT feel "life-like". I realize I need to play more before I make an end judgement but I'd really really like for another great game for my PS3. I buy 99% of multiplatform on my 360 so I'm killing for some great exclusives or better programmed multiplats for PS3(5 games vs. 47 on 360).

I guess it's time to finish up Valkyria Chronicles