Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Quote Originally Posted by parallelprophet View Post
    haha....yeah, I would probably agree. Can't name a better one on PS3 tho!
    Heh, ok you have me there. 1, I don't own a PS3... 2, I'm not actually a FPS fan... and 3, It's not hard to be the best out of what? 5 titles

Please, before the PS3 fanboys get their panties in a bunch...the last one was a joke. Go suck on your Motorstorm water bottle and chill out.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

I have kz2 coming in the mail. I havent played the demo yet, as I want to experience the game in its entirety. I am very optimistic about the game because of its high reviews across the board, but I need to play for myself before I can truly say how it is. And for the controls, I remember killzone 1 had controls that were "floaty" and I liked it. It made it feel more realistic to me. I think people complaining about controls in kz2 are just too used to the last shooter they played. For example. I played cod4 online for like a year and this week just got rainbow six vegas. I have played it for like 5 hours and still find myself thinking I am playing with cod4 controls. Like, I hit the l1 button for zoom like on cod4 when zoom is r3 on this game.
    youtube= http://www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
    blog= www.gamespot.com/users/lazyhoboguy/
    My Game Collection= http://lazyhoboguy.webs.com

PS2 Online and PS2 LAN Tunneling (Xlink Kai) game scheduling site:http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    I picked up the game and I also agree. There is something off with the controls. Also to me having to use the p3 button to run seems cumbersome. I felt like the guy was moving in sand.

And the aiming was a litle floaty. Killzone 1 had similar aiming issues.

I know the ps2/3 can do it right because cold winters aiming and resistance was pretty good. Are the graphics preventing the controls from being fluid?
    The game is not a twitch shooter, it was designed to be slower-paced. You actually feel like you're controlling a human wearing armor and carrying a huge gun, unlike a camera on a stick in most FPS.

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

the slow movement was the first thing i noticed, i went to go adjust them, then realized i couldnt, then turned it off. Try playing it on hard mode and you will figure out why.

Resistance 1 & 2 blew this game out of the water. I wish they would tell you things about games before you buy em. Oh well, at least I get the costumes in PS Home from Amazon hehe

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FxMercenary View Post
    the slow movement was the first thing i noticed, i went to go adjust them, then realized i couldnt, then turned it off. Try playing it on hard mode and you will figure out why.

Resistance 1 & 2 blew this game out of the water. I wish they would tell you things about games before you buy em. Oh well, at least I get the costumes in PS Home from Amazon hehe
    Um, they did. Did you completely ignore all previews and reviews of the game? Guerrilla has stated from the beginning of the game's development that it would be a slower paced game with no aim-assist, unlike nearly every other console FPS. The first game was like that as well, it's your fault for not making informed purchases. You can actually adjust the sensitivity in the options by the way, how did you miss that?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
    Um, they did. Did you completely ignore all previews and reviews of the game? Guerrilla has stated from the beginning of the game's development that it would be a slower paced game with no aim-assist, unlike nearly every other console FPS.
    There's a reason every console FPS since 1997 has had aim assist. Not including it is a failure in their design philosophy, not an error on the player's part.

I look at it this way, even if a developer intentionally designs a game with a poor control scheme, i'm going to knock them for poor controls. Intentionally designing poor controls is as bad as intentionally designing poor graphics or a poor story. Just 'cause you do it on purpose doesn't mean i have to praise you for it.

When you design a game, you want to make things as intuitive as possible for the users. You don't want to make something the player has to fight throughout the entire game. If you want to make your game challenging, gimping the controls is a poor way of doing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I finished up the game last night. VERY short. My total play time was under 7 hours...and 1+ hours of that was just the last "boss" stage.

I'm not sure what the "gimped" control scheme is supposed to be. I adjusted the X and Y axes several times until it felt comfortable and had no problems online or single player. The default scheme does feel a little sluggish, but like I said...just change the sensitivity and you'll be fine. Of course, I play more FPS than 99% of the people on the DP forums...so maybe my hands can adjust faster. Who knows?

Multiplayer is chaos. I'm not sure if I like it yet. There doesn't seem to be any "great" players...in that no one seems to dominate. You're just as likely to kill the top scorers as they are to kill you. It seemed like no one had any idea of what was going on. Like I said...chaos. It reminds me of Resistance (without the crazy jumps) in a way. Right now it's just a spawn/die/spawn/die fragfest. I've always preferred a slightly slower paced online FPS.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

what different modes are there in multiplayer? What is the max total supported on a map?
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

The game is not a twitch shooter, it was designed to be slower-paced. You actually feel like you're controlling a human wearing armor and carrying a huge gun, unlike a camera on a stick in most FPS.
    Then don't make it a twitch shooter. Design the levels around more methodical, more spaced out battles. But no, Killzone 2 wants to be this epic shooter with hundreds of Helghast pouring down on you constantly. Being ambushed or trapped in an area became tiresome.

The best level in K2 was the slowest paced one, in the windswept desert. Battles were spaced and small in scale, allowing the player to flank and take down foes in their own time actually worked. Sadly, that was only one level, and it still poured on elevators and steps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    what different modes are there in multiplayer? What is the max total supported on a map?
    32 players max (16 per side).

The modes are actually combined into 1 "session". Where you'll finish one objective, then without cutting to the menu, you'll receive a new "mode" or objective. One minute you're running around in a team deathmatch, the next minute the announcer directs you to blow up an objective, the next you're taking over territories and defending them. Like I said, it's chaotic and hard to tell what you should be doing at any particular moment. I think once I figure that out, it'll get a lot more fun.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    There's a reason every console FPS since 1997 has had aim assist. Not including it is a failure in their design philosophy, not an error on the player's part.

I look at it this way, even if a developer intentionally designs a game with a poor control scheme, i'm going to knock them for poor controls. Intentionally designing poor controls is as bad as intentionally designing poor graphics or a poor story. Just 'cause you do it on purpose doesn't mean i have to praise you for it.

When you design a game, you want to make things as intuitive as possible for the users. You don't want to make something the player has to fight throughout the entire game. If you want to make your game challenging, gimping the controls is a poor way of doing it.
    How is it a failure if I (and most others) can pull off headshots and play through the game just fine? The people complaining about the controls are a vocal minority.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The people complaining about the controls are a vocal minority.
    Vocal minorities change the world.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Vocal minorities change the world.
    That may be true in some cases, but the game is already out. It had over a million pre-orders in the US alone, so I don't think Sony and GG have much reason to care at this point. The game has already made its budget back and then some.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That may be true in some cases, but the game is already out. It had over a million pre-orders in the US alone, so I don't think Sony and GG have much reason to care at this point. The game has already made its budget back and then some.
    Let's go crazy here and say that the game sold 1.25 million copies in the first month. The developer will end up making roughly $20 per copy. That puts them at $25,000,000. That probably doesn't break them even yet, considering how long the game has been in development and how much you need to pay programmers and engineers of the caliber to produce a game such as this.

After the first month, the sales always diminish quickly, but the game will probably break even within the first 4-6 months. Hardly the system seller that Sony needed it to be.

The "vocal minority" has already convinced me that this game is good, but not great. Worth buying, but there are enough nits to pick that you should probably wait for a price drop or two. For Gorilla's and especially Sony's sake, hope they don't convince too many more people.

I might have an xbox logo in my avatar, but i have Nintendo and Sony tattoos. I'd like nothing more then to see all three companies do well.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let's go crazy here and say that the game sold 1.25 million copies in the first month. The developer will end up making roughly $20 per copy. That puts them at $25,000,000. That probably doesn't break them even yet, considering how long the game has been in development and how much you need to pay programmers and engineers of the caliber to produce a game such as this.

After the first month, the sales always diminish quickly, but the game will probably break even within the first 4-6 months. Hardly the system seller that Sony needed it to be.

The "vocal minority" has already convinced me that this game is good, but not great. Worth buying, but there are enough nits to pick that you should probably wait for a price drop or two. For Gorilla's and especially Sony's sake, hope they don't convince too many more people.

I might have an xbox logo in my avatar, but i have Nintendo and Sony tattoos. I'd like nothing more then to see all three companies do well.
    I've seen numbers that suggest 3 million copies pre-ordered worldwide, but that remains to be seen. I don't know that it was ever going to be a system seller regardless of its quality, simply because it lacks brand recognition. The first Killzone on PS2 sold pretty well, but nowhere near as much as the Halo games. I think KZ2 will go on to sell really well overall, and that's the best that can be realistically hoped for IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Not sure what pre-orders have to do with the controls... You still need to keep people happy with the end product for the eventual sequel to sell well.

Anyway, the forums on the game's official site have a note from the developer:

*"Controller Issues
    We have not stopped looking into the complaints and will see what we can do about it. Any possible changes will have to be carefully implemented and tested before being deployed though. Any potential changes would not be sweeping and we’d do our best to ensure they do not negatively affect anyone not having problems."

There are A LOT of complaints about the controls. Those pre-orders obviously aren't happy. It simply doesn't handle well. I finally did adjust towards the end, but still never felt like I had accurate weapons.
    Last edited by Gamereviewgod; 03-02-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    Not sure what pre-orders have to do with the controls... You still need to keep people happy with the end product for the eventual sequel to sell well.

Anyway, the forums on the game's official site have a note from the developer:

*"Controller Issues
    We have not stopped looking into the complaints and will see what we can do about it. Any possible changes will have to be carefully implemented and tested before being deployed though. Any potential changes would not be sweeping and we’d do our best to ensure they do not negatively affect anyone not having problems."

There are A LOT of complaints about the controls. Those pre-orders obviously aren't happy. It simply doesn't handle well. I finally did adjust towards the end, but still never felt like I had accurate weapons.
    It would be absolutely pointless to change the controls, because it'd then play just like every other FPS. People craving the same game over and over is what kills innovation and makes rehashes like Call of Duty: World at War and the Guitar Hero games sell millions. Killzone 2 controls fine, I actually prefer its controls to nearly every other console FPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

It would be absolutely pointless to change the controls, because it'd then play just like every other FPS. People craving the same game over and over is what kills innovation and makes rehashes like Call of Duty: World at War and the Guitar Hero games sell millions. Killzone 2 controls fine, I actually prefer its controls to nearly every other console FPS.
    But Killzone 2 isn't innovative. In fact, aside from the controls (which hardly make it innovative), it's one of the most generic shooters on the market. I don't want the same experience, I want to be able to hit my enemies with bullets. If the audience wants tighter, responsive controls, that's what they need to be given. Put in an option, at the very least for single player, to select which style you prefer. Everyone is happy, although it wouldn't do much to change my thoughts on the game as a whole.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    But Killzone 2 isn't innovative. In fact, aside from the controls (which hardly make it innovative), it's one of the most generic shooters on the market. I don't want the same experience, I want to be able to hit my enemies with bullets. If the audience wants tighter, responsive controls, that's what they need to be given. Put in an option, at the very least for single player, to select which style you prefer. Everyone is happy, although it wouldn't do much to change my thoughts on the game as a whole.
    I'm not having any problems hitting enemies, and I'm pretty bad at most FPS which is why I don't play many of them. If they changed the controls, they'd have to pretty much change how the whole game plays, which isn't really feasible. There's a sensitivity option for a reason. As for the game not being innovative, I'll disagree there. The first-person cover system has never been done this well, and the physics are better than any other FPS out there. It's not genre-redefining or anything, but it's better than the majority of FPS in recent memory.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foathMPLpqw

Killzone 2: Sony's crippling deathblow to the 360

lol
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting