Thread: Midway Puts Selling Mortal Kombat on the Table

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Midway Puts Selling Mortal Kombat on the Table

http://netdockets.wordpress.com/2009...ncentive-plan/

It's not a guarantee but the fact that an official statement even mentions the mere possibility of selling MK shows how dire things are for Midway. It looks like the ship is already almost submerged and now people are ripping doors off to use as makeshift rafts.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

That sucks. I remember when Midway was alright in the SNES days. They did some cool games. Sucks that it seems like they got lazy with it all, and half assed it. Although I do like MK vs.DC a good amount!
    Wheelman or men whatever...It looks nice, but then seems like it will be all wacky. Just the names (Game name and Vin Diesel) alone makes me not want to try it :P

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm an investor in the company, and I just got my Chapter 11 Bankruptcy proceedings in the mail today for them....not looking good.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

If this means they can pay the money they owe to their employees instead of the executives stealing it as "bonuses" then that's fine with me.

http://kotaku.com/5162447/midway-off...rmer-employees
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is Iron Draggon's big chance to buy the franchise and make it a Wii exclusive!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    If this means they can pay the money they owe to their employees instead of the executives stealing it as "bonuses" then that's fine with me.

http://kotaku.com/5162447/midway-off...rmer-employees
    Seriously. I'm no expert but it looks like the higher ups are looking for their golden parachutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Does the average gamer even give a shit? Mortal Kombat was, at best, a B-tier title in its heyday. Is the franchise even around these days? (Edit: I now see MK vs. DC just came out...got it).

I remember thinking the original arcade game was pretty cool for the time. Then came the whole "SNES version is censored / Genesis version has blood" drama. I don't remember caring since.

I guess my point is Midway treats MK as some revered, legendary franchise...while the rest of the world couldn't care less. It's kind of like the video game version of The Wrestler. Just sad.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 03-02-2009 at 03:10 PM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Does the average gamer even give a shit? Mortal Kombat was, at best, a B-tier title in its heyday.
    I don't know about that. If I remember correctly, MKII was making more money than Street Fighter at one point. It's what inspired Capcom to try their hand at Street Fighter: The Movie.

Is the franchise even around these days? (Edit: I now see MK vs. DC just came out...got it).

I remember thinking the original arcade game was pretty cool for the time. Then came the whole "SNES version is censored / Genesis version has blood" drama. I don't remember caring since.

I guess my point is Midway treats MK as some revered, legendary franchise...while the rest of the world couldn't care less. It's kind of like the video game version of The Wrestler. Just sad.
    When I think of MK I think of wasted potential. MK vs. DC is good but it's also too little too late. We should have been playing the MK vs. DC engine six years ago. The problem is that Midway as a whole is wasted potential. I can think of a number of good to great games that either never went anywhere or had shoddy sequels.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I couldn't have put it better myself!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does the average gamer even give a shit? Mortal Kombat was, at best, a B-tier title in its heyday. Is the franchise even around these days? (Edit: I now see MK vs. DC just came out...got it).

Just because you didn't care, it doesn't mean everyone else felt that way. Actually it seems like you must have been living under a rock back then. Because MK was HUGE at the time of the release of MK 2 and 3. It was easily the most famous video game franchise in the mid-90s, and one of the most famous of all time. Around 1993-95, you couldn't go anywhere or watch much of anything on TV without seeing a Mortal Kombat reference.

MK was on the cover of most videogame magazines, on almost a bi-monthly basis, for two years. And when I was in 5-7th grade, Mortal Kombat was literally almost the only game most of the kids ever talked about.

The hype only died down sometime around the release of the Mortal Kombat movie.
    Last edited by CelticJobber; 03-02-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Did you live through the 90s? In the arcade era MK was THE big game in the US. Bigger than SF was at the time. They had a misstep with MK3, but made up for it with Ultimate...a game that still has a population of tourney-level players. Hell, I remember hearing an arcade around here had a few MK2 machines that were almost always full of people.

The franchise took a quality downturn with their 3d games, but they're still crazy popular, and MK vs DC was actually pretty good. Just because you don't pay attention to MK doesn't mean it has been irrelevant since MK1. As someone said, their success is what spurred Capcom to try and make SF the Movie the Game. If only that game had the development time it needed...
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Obviously, Mortal Kombat was a big deal back in the day. I never said otherwise because that's exactly my point. I'm contrasting its former "greatness" (mediocre IMO) to what it is today. In the past few years MK has become a sad, tired franchise. Midway seems to think it still has the mega appeal that it did back then. It clearly doesn't. I still say most gamers won't give a shit if MK is sold. I think my original post is pretty clear. Not sure what the angry diatribes are all about. Some people like MK, most don't. Big deal.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 03-02-2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some people like MK, most don't.
    Who gave you the authority to speak for "most" people?

I actually like the MK series alot. Theres no denying that they have made atleast a few miss steps but I also liked how they reinvented the franchise on the last gen systems(PS2,XB, GC). Having a cross over with DC was a cool idea but one that should have came after a cross over with Capcom, SNK, Tecmo or some other fighting game series.

Although MK isn't as popular of a series as it once was, it will always have gamers mindshare for the simple fact that it was so popular at one time. Regardless of if people like or don't like the series, the majority of people who have been gaming since the mid 90's have atleast heard of it. Because of that, when this series gets sold--it's going to be a big deal. That doesn't mean the next game will automatically be great but it's definitely going to make headlines.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kudos to whomever the buyer may be and I hope they can resurrect this series.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDrive20XX View Post
    Kudos to whomever the buyer may be and I hope they can resurrect this series.

It's not like any of the major MK fighting games have "sold" poorly, and MK vs DC sold well. Not sure what people are even talking about here. If you are talking gameplay, MK vs DC is the best of the 3D games, and that is current franchise we are talking. WHat is there to "resurrect?"

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Danger!

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I'm more concerned with what's going to happen to the classic Williams and later Atari titles when all this bankruptcy stuff really gets going. From what I understand Midway owns the rights to all Atari arcade games produced after the consumer and arcade business split up back in the 80's and all of the Williams arcade titles. It would be a real shame to see these games sold off piecemeal to a bunch of investment type companies that would whore out the products for a quick buck.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Maybe Capcom should pick up MK, give it the SFIV style reboot....then maybe we'll finally see that Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

The MK series has seen its ups and downs, but it definately is a very decent franchise that has spawned alot of sequels that continue to sell well. While I mostly played MK as a teen, I think that it is better than many other franchises that continue to be "stuck". At least the series kept people coming back with unlockables and mini games.

To me MK II has a special place in my heart for pulling some all nighters with my friends playing to the early hours of morning only to have to walk like a zombie to work.

The MK games on the PS2 were not too bad as well.

Just think, if the MK series wen to Tecmo, Namco, Capcom, or even Sega

Not a bad thought.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Whoever gets it should bring it back to it's roots, 2D