Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for "older" gamers

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question for "older" gamers

I'm just curious how many "older" gamers are beginning to experience joint pain or limitations in mobility as a result of their gaming. I'm soon to be 30, and have begun noticing my thumb joints in particular getting more sensitive to long gaming sessions... inflammation, pain, limited mobility, popping, cracking, etc. My doctor says its osetoarthritis, from over-use (I didn't tell him I'm a gamer). It makes sense, but I wasn't expecting it this early.

I'm not "hardcore" in that I spend 8 hours a day playing... more like 4-8 hours a week. So I'm just curious if anybody else my age or older is starting to notice the same type of symptoms? I figure I'm still young enough to slow it down, but I don't want to give up gaming altogether!

Just looking for input... wasn't sure what forum this would fit in best, so please move if its more appropriate for OT.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I see an autofire switch in your future (depends on what you play).

Also, stop using first-party Nintendo controllers (except for the Wii ones that don't require so much repetitive motion).

Finally, did the doc prescribe some pills for osteo? I know they're out there and people use them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

I know that I can't even attempt to play Track & Field on my NES anymore
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just some anti inflammatories for when it flares up, but nothing major. I suspect its just strong aspirin. I notice it most with my GBA and DS in particular... I've stopped using those, or play less "strenous" games. NES doesn't bother me as much for some reason, but if I bust out Mega Man or similarly "intense" games, I can't play long.

Getting older sucks, I'm finding out. :-|
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I recently played Enduro to stage 7, so I was quite happy about my hand-to-eye coordination, which saved me and my car from accidents (from bad drivers) quite a few times. I'm old too, but the pain's everywhere else, like knees, back etc...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    I know that I can't even attempt to play Track & Field on my NES anymore
    It's funny because for me, I wasn't that good at Track & Field when I was younger, but I am better at it now. That isn't to say I am like a couple of my friends who can fill up the power bar just about as well as a turbo controller, but I noticeably better at it.

In specific regards to the question, no, I haven't experienced any game related fatigues or injuries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

use controllers that are comfortable. Consider switching your retrogaming to a Turbografx/PC Engine since almost all the controllers come with Turbo by default. Honestly tho, I think i get more issues from typing VS gaming. I find my arcade sticks don't bother me much when I play arcade games (much better than pads).

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    It's funny because for me, I wasn't that good at Track & Field when I was younger, but I am better at it now. That isn't to say I am like a couple of my friends who can fill up the power bar just about as well as a turbo controller, but I noticeably better at it.

In specific regards to the question, no, I haven't experienced any game related fatigues or injuries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I am in my early 30's.

My best advice is use controllers that are comfortable. I use Euro 7800 controllers to play Atari 7800 games because my arms can't handle the pro line controllers for a long time anymore.

The catch is I didn't use proline controllers for 10 years and my arms started to bother me when I used the prolines when I was in my early 20's.

I found more issues with typing than gaming for myself concerning my hands. I really can't tell a difference outside of a 7800 proline controller in terms of gaming. A 7800 proline controller has a bad reputation anyway.

Most of my problems are with my legs, not my hands anyway.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 03-02-2009 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in my mid/late 30's, no problems. I pretty much feel the same way I did when I was much younger after gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm 32. I have trouble with wrist pain sometimes after gaming for a long time. But most of my wrist pain is caused by the fact that I type and use a mouse all day for work and Internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

39 here. Gaming doesn't cause me any pain yet, regardless of the controllers. But I do feel some agitation in my wrists and hands when I spend too much time at a PC. I should really invest in one of those mouse pads with the gel-filled wrist rests.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm 31 and the carpal tunnel hasn't got me yet, thank God I have noticed a numbness in my hands when I sit in the same position in my chair too long while gaming. Diabetes runs in the family so I guess I got that to look forward to....
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Oh man thanks for giving me something to look forward to lol. I'm about to celebrate 27 in a few months, so it looks like I got a couple of good gaming years left before the arthritis I am destined to get kicks in. I can move my hands freakishly fast so I am my own turbo fire, plus many of my muscles and ligaments can extend more than most peoples'. The tradeoff is that I will get arthritis. Oh well, I knew it wouldn't last forever.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

33 here. After extended sessions of any fighting game, my hands start feeling a little..."tight". This requires me to pause, pop my knuckles (as needed) and shake out my hands.

My profession has me working on the computer all day, so I get carpal tunnel related aches in my forearms.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm....

You need to take more breaks and get your circulation going in your hands during them.

I suspect you should stop gaming for some months and give your hands some recuperation...I had discomfort for awhile but got away from console gaming and into PC Gaming. Switching from a controller to a mouse and keyboard gave many hands time to return to normal.

I drank more than my share of milk when I was growing up and am trying to do so again now that I think it will be relevant as I get older...

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everyone is different. I am 56 (will be 57 in May) and have had no problems with my hands or wrists. Seeing the screen may be a different matter...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

33 here, and have been gaming since 1980 and drumming since 1986. I would say I drum 8-10 hours a week and game about the same. No pain yet, though fighting games do cause some tightness. I also lift weights, working my chest, back, and arms twice/week--not to get buff, just to avoid getting "trucker body," as I drive around a lot doing property inspections. I recommend taking some ibuprofen before gaming if you experience pain or inflammation. Also, drinking cherry juice or eating cherries helps too.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm 27 and I already can't play any Contra game except 3 for too long. After I beat Contra 4 I could hardly use my right thumb for weeks. It sucks cause now I'm scared to play it for fear it will happen again. When I do play it, the machine gun is my friend.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only time I hurt playing right now, is during long sessions of Rock Band. My left hand tends to cramp up far more than if I were playing a real guitar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    StomachEarth

I get a little bit of wrist pain from PC games with my mouse.

I have had a few joint pains here and there in my thumbs during long sessions with a gamepad though. But most of the pain in my hands is due to playing guitar. When I stretch my hand to reach 4 or 5 frets away or do a lot of sliding I have some joint pain.

Eye strain is more of a problem for me with vids.