Thread: Headphones

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Headphones

Hi, guys. I'm looking for a nice headphones for PSP and DS, well and maybe for my laptop. Particulary, the ones that cover whole ear, not the earplugs.

Something below 100$. I don't want to overpay for what PSP and DS can't deliver through the headphones and at the same time want to get max out of them. Any advice is taken into consideration.

I heard Grado SR60 and SR80 are one of the best in their price category. Also heard AGK and Sennheiser are also very good.
    Last edited by Smirk; 03-02-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I highly recommend the KOSS SportaPro. They'll run you about $20, but they'll outclass most sub $100 headphones. And they have a lifetime warranty, they'll even replace them after a cat chews the cable off.

Reviews: http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Koss...nes_Headphones

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I have the Grado 325i, and love it. From what I've read, the 60s and 80s are fantastic for the price range, and will not only be killer for DS/PSP but for any portable music you want to enjoy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never paid more than 30 for headphones/ear buds and found some good products. I tend to use plain old Logitech Ear Buds. They look like apple ones but with a small groove and bump on them. Only ear buds that have ever fit me right. Besides those I have panasonic behind the head style phones, not the best for outside noise but for $9.99 they have excellent sound quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Keep in mind with the Grados that they're "open" headphones, meaning your sound will leak and you'll be getting sound from outside. They're probably great for home, but maybe not so much for travel. The higher end Grados may be different, I'm not sure.

I've had a pair of Sennheisers for at least 5 years now and they still work and sound great despite an assassination attempt by my dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi, ive had some Bose headphones for a couple years and it may be a little higher in price but the quality is awesome. Id rather invest a little more and enjoy every moment.
    Rarity guide addict. ASK For TRADES
    650+ different NES carts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jupitersj
    PSN
    jupitersj

You'll want a low impedance pair that do not need an amp to drive most of their ability so that the psp/ds/labtop can mostly/fully drive them and a pair with open soundstage.

Open phones will always sound better than closed on the same model and you'll usually pay more for closed. This is because closed will not leak out but open will leak about 5 feet away in sound; no one in another room will hear them though.

I love my Audio Technica ATH-AD700's(closed pair is A700; both are low impedance) ...they do not have the fake overpowering bass(very clean sound with open stage). They have a more precise sound than "rockin" so to speak. Great for gaming(especially positioning) and jazz/classical/normal rock. You can even hear peoples' saliva on a good recording O.o You can get these for $100 online and they are super comfortable with the headrest wing design so the weight isn't on your ears.

They can be driven with an amp but they do not require it. Depending on the grado you pick you'd need an amp or it'll be like listening to a cheap set of phones.

p.s. Bose do make decent products but like Sony speakers you are paying more for the name and advertising; you can always find a same and/or better quality speaker/headphone for cheaper.
    Last edited by jupitersj; 03-03-2009 at 07:15 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great tips guys, thx a lot. Now I wish there was some kind of a list of low impedance cans around. Or some info on how you determine whether it is one.

Also, as far as I know, Grado SR60 is low impedance, while SR80 is not. I've also been interested in digging up some more information and reviews on Sennheiser HD 515, which seemed at least till now like a right choice. And I'm gonna consider Audio Technica ATH-AD700 jupitersj suggested.

About KOSS, well...let's just say I've heard and read quite unpleasant things about it so I'm gonna skip looking into their direction for a while. As for Bose - never actually heard about them as a novice in this whole headphones stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Great tips guys, thx a lot. Now I wish there was some kind of a list of low impedance cans around. Or some info on how you determine whether it is one.

Also, as far as I know, Grado SR60 is low impedance, while SR80 is not. I've also been interested in digging up some more information and reviews on Sennheiser HD 515, which seemed at least till now like a right choice. And I'm gonna consider Audio Technica ATH-AD700 jupitersj suggested.

About KOSS, well...let's just say I've heard and read quite unpleasant things about it so I'm gonna skip looking into their direction for a while. As for Bose - never actually heard about them as a novice in this whole headphones stuff.
    I have a pair of SR80s, which have the same 32 ohm impedance as the SR60s -- in fact, all the cans in the Grado Prestige Series are low impedance. My DS can easily drive them without any extra amplification.

I ended up replacing them last week (after 5 years of owning the Grados) with a set of Beyerdynamic DT880s, which are very high impedance and require an amp to run decently. After using them a while, I've decided that I still like the Grados nearly as much. I just wish that they had been more comfortable -- Grados are notorious for their lack of comfort over extended listening sessions.

As far as bang for the buck goes, the SR60/SR80 are in a class of their own, as long as their fit/comfort doesn't bother you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just use the in-ear headphones that came with my Zune. I love 'em.

I recently used them during air travel and could hear my Gameboy clearly despite the noise of the aircraft. Don't get me wrong, they're not noise cancelling or anything, but do cut down significantly on surrounding noise and sound good at the same time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love my KOSS. I use a pair of R/80 at my desk, but on the go I like the UR40, which folds up into a very nice little package. The lifetime replacement warantee is a grand thing too.

This little doodad at DealExtreme looks kind of intriguing:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14823
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have any info myself to give you, but I just saw this thread over at Slickdeals -
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...readid=1223453

Might be useful for you.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    This little doodad at DealExtreme looks kind of intriguing:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14823
    Good price and free shipping. Have you heard anything about this? Is it decent?

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

I've thought of ordering from this website, is it reliable? They dont take your info or none of that funny biz right?

Too bad the Grados I want, are open can...so you can hear me blasting all sorts of crap from my iPod hahaha. Now who wants that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by demen999 View Post
    I've thought of ordering from this website, is it reliable? They dont take your info or none of that funny biz right?
    DealExtreme is resoundingly reliable by all accounts. No need to worry about that. The only disadvantage is that shipping from HK can be a little slow.

I can't speak about that particular device I linked to, though.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stopped at Audio Technica ATH-M50. Do I need an amplifier for 38 ohms used with portables? And I don't need it VERY loud - I care for my ears. Don't want a hearing loss to develop.
    Last edited by Smirk; 03-05-2009 at 04:23 AM.