Thread: STUCK in God of War, near the beginning

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default STUCK in God of War, near the beginning

Over the weekend I started God of War, on the PS2.

I'm trying to defeat the Hydra, and I'm stuck. For about an hour tonight I battled the Hydra, and neither the Hydra nor myself died. It was tedious.

Searching online I have found many posts from other folks stuck here, and the solution always seems to involve figuring out how to press the O button faster. I'm not sure that's my issue.

When I'm battling the Hydra, and the O symbol appears on-screen, when I press the O button, Kratos tries to throw his rope/chain/whatever into Hydra, but the rope is too short to reach the Hydra. Consistently.

So I'm stuck, and am crying Uncle.

Thanks for any help.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I assume you've already whacked the two smaller heads and are trying to whack the big one, correct?

"The trick is to dodge roll the bites and take some attacks of opportunity: the lightning attack works well for this if you have some magic left. Jump and attack when it's weaving and staring at you in between bite attempts.

Eventually, it will enter a dazed state and the 'O' will appear above it's head. Get as close to the head as you can, jump in if you have to, and hit dat 'O' before it wakes up. The best spot is right next to the vertical portion of the mast you're standing on.You don't have long, so make it quick. You'll then have to mash a button to slam it against the mast. "

Do that three times(I think), and that's a wrap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm - I wondered if I could climb on, or jump on the mast, but hadn't been able to, so I assumed it wasn't possible.

I'll give that a try after work.

Thanks!
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation @#%%^^$!!&@#&&^$$$))(**<>! t@%$@#^%$

OK - I wrote last night that I was stuck on the Hydra. The game had a damn BUG in it! This wasn't me being incompetent, it was a flaked out game, for crying out loud.

Between last night and tonight I spent over two hours playing the game, almost all of it trying to beat the hydra. Tonight, in desperation, I turned to YouTube and watched a video there of someone beating the Hydra. The only thing I saw there that was different was that the Hydra would get to the left of the player sometimes.

On my game, the Hydra would never move as far left as the mast. Also, my player kept pulling to the right while I played.

While trying to beat this guy, I called a friend of mine to see if he had any suggestions. We started thinking there may be something wrong with the game, so I decided to just reset and start fresh. I then found I couldn't end the game from the controller, so I decided to just let my guy die, as I was too lazy to get up and walk the 3 feet to the PS2 to hit the reset button.

That's when I discovered that not only couldn't I finish the Hydra off, but if I just left my guy alone and didn't do anything, my character was as far right as he could go, and the Hydra was repeatedly roaring and biting at him, but missing, biting just to the right of Kratos. This may have gone on all night.

So I concluded there was definitely something hosed in the game, and I stood up and reset the PS2.

I then started a new game, rather than loading that hosed savefile, and in 34 minutes I'd defeated the Hydra and moved on! It was really pretty easy, once the program code was working right.

So I've arrived in Athens, slain the minotaurs, and then the Boss there just kicked my patootie. That's a wrap. I'll continue tomorrow night.
    My Resume
    My Blog

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

IIRC the first batch of God of Wars has some issues with some PS2 systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm doubtful that's the case here. I ordered my copy from Amazon this past December ($8!), and it's a Greatest Hits issue. Still, I'll be alert to this sort of problem as I continue to play.

If this happens once I'm much further into the game though, I'll be ticked off. This close to the beginning it wasn't such a big deal.
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God of War is a great game, but that Hydra battle was a pain in the ass. At one point, it made me consider giving up, selling the game, and moving on to something else. I'm glad I didn't.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    IIRC the first batch of God of Wars has some issues with some PS2 systems.
    They were throwing DRE's, it was because it's one of the few dual layer discs.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Hydra want the thing that got my brother. It was the dang crate pushing at the beging of the game that made him quit.

I have finished both the PS2 titles and borrowed my friends PSP to beat that one. I am loving the series and am ready for number III. Just hang on and enjoy the game.
    YouTube: MasonSushi---- http://www.youtube.com/user/masonsushi
    NintendoAge: MasonSushi
    Licensed NES- Complete....32X Complete
    N64- Complete....Master System (CIB)- 8 left
    TG-16 Hu - Complete