Thread: California Extreme - Arcade & Pinball Expo 2009

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default California Extreme - Arcade & Pinball Expo 2009

California Extreme is the "Classic Arcade Games Show". It's an annual celebration of coin operated pinball machines, video games and other novelties you once found in game arcades. All games on display are set for free play, so leave your quarters in the ash tray in your car. You won't need 'em.

California Extreme 2009
    July 11-12, 2009
    Hyatt Regency Santa Clara

It's time for our 13th show! We have a fantastic new location this year - the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara. This is also the show hotel which is giving us a fantastic rate on 4-star rooms. See the Hotel Page for booking information (available now!).

Why a Game Show?
    Arcades were once a fixture on the American urban landscape, and games were plentiful in rural cities too. The closest heir of today is the so-called "Family Entertainment Center", which is populated with a myriad of devices designed only to take your coins quickly and leave you with a pile of tickets, which you exchange for cheap, trashy toys. This is entertainment? California Extreme was born with a desire to share fun coin op games that are in the hands of private collectors, and to hopefully spread the word that pinball machines were once plentiful, and that videogames were not synonymous with "martial arts" and violence. Buy/sell/trade! The show is a great place to bring games you want to sell, and also a good place to add to your collection, or even start it! Not all games will be for sale; many collectors bring games to show (or show off!) that they would never sell. So .. Can I play the stuff? Yeah .. Everything is on free play. You can play from the moment you arrive until we shut off the power at closing -- Play as many games as you want, in whatever order you want to. There are *HUNDREDS* of games, all set to play for free. This is a your chance to try those older games, or the newer games that you'd never put money into in an arcade. There are also many games that never got produced, and are very hard to find.

For more info, visit...

http://www.caextreme.org/

My Arcade Collection - http://www.ggdb.com/Collectors/ViewMember.aspx?mid=394
    Southern California Classic Collectors (SC3) - http://www.sc3videogames.com/
    3DS: 5370-0932-2395
    Wii U: SysOp Miiverse: The_MCP
    PSN: shertz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Can't wait! I've been looking forward to the next show since the end of the last. Know offhand if cost reasons were why Parkside Hall was scrapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Can't wait! I've been looking forward to the next show since the end of the last. Know offhand if cost reasons were why Parkside Hall was scrapped?
    The biggest problem was the cost. But they (CAX) have been having problems with Parkside on many different issues as well for a long time.
    My Arcade Collection - http://www.ggdb.com/Collectors/ViewMember.aspx?mid=394
    Southern California Classic Collectors (SC3) - http://www.sc3videogames.com/
    3DS: 5370-0932-2395
    Wii U: SysOp Miiverse: The_MCP
    PSN: shertz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Bumping this thread since it's getting close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I made my reservations and got my weekend pass yesterday, I am really stoked about this show. Can't wait to just coke out on playing arcade games on freeplay for the weekend and meeting other such interested folk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arasoi View Post
    I made my reservations and got my weekend pass yesterday, I am really stoked about this show. Can't wait to just coke out on playing arcade games on freeplay for the weekend and meeting other such interested folk
    Cool, you'll have an excellent time. A change made a couple months ago related to where I have to be prior to the show prevented me from bringing the Galaxian cocktail back (bought it at last year's show). I also never made time to rewire my Klax cabaret, which I'll actually finally be able to do the week after this year's show. Should be nice though, Klax and Tetris in one machine with board swap through the coin door. 2010 I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hope to see some of you all there. The Chuckwagon will have a table in the vendors area so stop by and say, "Hi".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default COIN-OP TV anniversary 5 years!

COIN-OP TV will be celebrating 5 years of the Video Podcast this year at CA Extreme! We'll be doing a panel and having an after party on SAT July 11th at the Hyatt Regency Hotel Bar!

COIN-OP TV - FIVE YEAR ANNIVERSARY
    CELEBRATION AT CALIFORNIA EXTREME
    JULY 11th & 12th 2009

COIN-OP TV celebrates five years of Internet broadcasting this July with a return to where things kicked off, which is California Extreme. California Extreme is an annual event, taking place at the Hyatt Regency in Santa Clara this year, with over 400 original arcade and pinball machines set to ‘free-play’ for the weekend.

COIN-OP TV founder Robert Welkner and host Hailey Bright will speak at a panel at California Extreme this year and give a retrospective look back at the first five years of the show including a short video presentation highlighting the people they’ve interviewed along the way.

TWIN GALAXIES and BILLY MITCHELL have commissioned a special limited edition poster and Rick’s Hot Sauce labels to help commemorate the five year anniversary. Fans in attendance will have a chance to win some of these posters and hot sauce at the conclusion of the panel.

COIN-OP TV launched in 2004 as an independent Video Podcast with interviews from world record holders, video game developers and gaming personalities. They've gone on to produce two DVD collections of the first two years of the show and have interviewed famous gaming personalities like Eugene Jarvis, Tommy Tallarico, Nolan Bushnell, Billy Mitchell, Steve Wiebe and more! DVD’s of the show can be found on www.Amazon.com.

For more details regarding COIN-OP TV, contact pennyman@thirstyfilms.com or visit http://www.coin-op.tv or http://ww.thestream.tv to see the live show/archive.

http://coin-op.tv/press/cotv-fiveyears.jpg
    COIN-OP TV - vidcast on retro, arcade and gaming culture
    http://www.coin-op.tv

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

There is a good possibility of us (katchoo and myself) heading out. I need to talk to RetroGMR and see when he's going so we can see about a quardinated attendance.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How many people attend this event? Is it held about the same time every year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 16-bit View Post
    How many people attend this event? Is it held about the same time every year?
    I'd say at least a few hundred.