Thread: Last year I saw Quake Tournament Edition on sale in a mall for $500

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Last year I saw Quake Tournament Edition on sale in a mall for $500

It was an arcade in a mall in Texas and they were having their annual sale. And I found out there's only like 10 copies of this game. So I wanted to pick it up and resell it but I decided I would wait until I had more room in my garage.

So the game went unsold, then I never went there again until a few weeks ago, and the game wasn't there anymore.

What do you think... did I miss out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Out of curiosity, where was it located at?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Quote Originally Posted by bombman View Post
    I found out there's only like 10 copies of this game.

Ummmmm, yes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talk about coincidences. I was reading up two days ago on the VSA-100 and Quantum3D (a 3Dfx spinoff company) and then this pops up.

What format did this come in, and what exactly was on sale? All the 'net references I can find on Google mentioned it being run on Quantum3D "Heavy Metal" systems - probably not the sort of thing you could pack into the back of a compact. Even the core computer systems weigh well above 60 pounds.

eBay has some auctions for other Quantum3D stuff - it's all very obsolete, but people are paying big money for the old scaled-configuration 3Dfx parts, like the Mercury.

I guess the "did you lose out on a potential profit" question comes down towards what was on sale, and how much it would've taken to ship it out to somebody else

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Out of curiosity, where was it located at?
    It was at the Killeen Mall in Killeen, Texas.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Talk about coincidences. I was reading up two days ago on the VSA-100 and Quantum3D (a 3Dfx spinoff company) and then this pops up.

What format did this come in, and what exactly was on sale? All the 'net references I can find on Google mentioned it being run on Quantum3D "Heavy Metal" systems - probably not the sort of thing you could pack into the back of a compact. Even the core computer systems weigh well above 60 pounds.

eBay has some auctions for other Quantum3D stuff - it's all very obsolete, but people are paying big money for the old scaled-configuration 3Dfx parts, like the Mercury.

I guess the "did you lose out on a potential profit" question comes down towards what was on sale, and how much it would've taken to ship it out to somebody else
    It looked just like the thing on KLOV...
    http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9188

It was just a custom rigged computer in a cabinet basically. I remember seeing the regular Windows (95?) desktop on the screen one time with some icons. Pretty sure if someone wanted to they could just extract the files and you could play it on a normal pc. I saw an ebay auction a while back where they had the contact number for the game developers, apparently there was a falling out in the company, the lead programmer quit the company and most of the cabinets were destroyed after some sort of court ruling. Except the few that are floating around in arcades like the one I saw. The one I saw on ebay sold for several thou.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Let's see ... you passed on a prototype machine that's ranked as a 1 on a scale of 1 to 100 on the KLOV rarity scale for $500 because you didn't have enough room in your garage. Yes, you missed out.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

that sucks would have been fun to have not to mention possibly a profitable purchase. Oh well we all do this from time to time!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

blankblankblankblankblank
    Last edited by Blur2040; 12-30-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    Death to Bill and Ted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blur2040 View Post
    I feel I should put the disclaimer here that although the Quake Tournament Edition machine is rediculously rare, generally speaking, the KLOV rarity indicator doesn't mean much (in fact, the disclaimer is there on every page).

Many people don't care about games enough to list them...and blam...they're a 1, 2 or 3 on the Klov Scale.

So, nobody needs to feel bad when they miss out on an ultra rare "Solitare Challenge."
    I know how the KLOV rarity scale works. I also know that Quake Tournament Edition is considered a prototype and that there are between 10 and 20 known cabinets. To the right buyer you're probably looking at thousands of dollars.

I'll make ya a deal, if you find a Quake Tournament Edition cabinet, I'll trade you for a "Solitare Challenge" any day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    I know how the KLOV rarity scale works. I also know that Quake Tournament Edition is considered a prototype and that there are between 10 and 20 known cabinets. To the right buyer you're probably looking at thousands of dollars.

I'll make ya a deal, if you find a Quake Tournament Edition cabinet, I'll trade you for a "Solitare Challenge" any day.
    Wait, what is wrong with Solitare Challenge?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It was just a custom rigged computer in a cabinet basically.
    Just a custom rigged computer that happened to have parts in it that people are still dying to find and will pay big bucks for...yep, Flack hit the nail on the head.

Heck, people would probably pay money just to get the PAK files from this game. I've seen the KLOV page before; it's pretty disappointing that they didn't show a picture of the actual computer inside, just the cheesy-looking recessed keyboard. You still can notice (from the first screenshot) that the game can run at a very high resolution, however.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

blankblankblankblankblankblankblank
    Last edited by Blur2040; 12-30-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    Death to Bill and Ted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Even so, you can check with the "only twenty produced" bit on the bottom of the page.

The old Voodoo cards have their fans - I just saw a new Voodoo 5 5500 sell for $150 on eBay; you can buy a GeForce 9400 GT 512MB that'll work in the same PCI slots for exactly half as much off Newegg. What's more, this has even more exotic hardware. Then there's the fact it's running such an unusual version of Quake, another game which has its fans. If I had the chance of going back in time and using the $500 I wasted on Stratovox elsewhere...this wouldn't have been such a terrible choice.

Anyway, the moral of the story is you live and learn. I've passed up some good deals in my time too

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I actually HAVE one of these CABINETS !!... Well, more or less.

It looked just like the thing on KLOV...
    http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9188

It was just a custom rigged computer in a cabinet basically. I remember seeing the regular Windows (95?) desktop on the screen one time with some icons. Pretty sure if someone wanted to they could just extract the files and you could play it on a normal pc. I saw an ebay auction a while back where they had the contact number for the game developers, apparently there was a falling out in the company, the lead programmer quit the company and most of the cabinets were destroyed after some sort of court ruling. Except the few that are floating around in arcades like the one I saw. The one I saw on ebay sold for several thou.
    Hi all... I am a newbie here.

I actually found myself using google yesterday to search for info on Quake ATE, and posted my own brush with this game in another online forum. Then I came also came across the link to here on Google, and I thought I would repeat the post in this now years dead topic here.

Just a quick summary though... It ran on what was called the Quantum3D Quicksilver Arcade PC which was only a 266 Mhz Pentium II PC running under Windows 95 !! And, while there apparently are in fact dumps of the actual hard drive image floating around in the torrent world, you would never get this thing run on ANY OTHER pc now as a Security Key in the form of a hardware dongle connected to the parallel port was required.

OK, below, here is what I posted in another online forum (there is also a link to another old webpage where someone has detailed info and picks of the Quicksilver Arcade PC)

================================================== ================

Hi all,

I found myself doing a google search today and came across your recent posting about the Quake Tournament Edition specifically developed for Arcade cabinets using PC hardware. Believe it or not, I ACTUALLY HAVE one!!... Well, more or less. Unforntunately, at some point, someone REMOVED the Quantum 3D Quicksilver Arcade PC chasis in the past. Everything else is there though.

I came across this near complete Quake Arcade cabinet with the orignal marquee and control panel when looking for an arcade cabinet on Kijiji to use as the basis for a MAME project. It was practially mint and looks like it didnt get ANY use at all!!. Some other standard equipment was a Wells Gardner 27" CRT monitor and Happ Dual Coin Mech. Doors. I knew when I saw it, it must be something special. I never knew how actually rare this thing was until I did some searching for info about the history of it. Mine however does NOT look like the only pic that seems to be on the net (that white LaserTron cabinet one). Mine is a red cabinent. However, it is obvious that the cabinet was in fact meant to be used specifically for Quake ATE.

The guy who sold me the cabinet still provided the original LBE Systems book/manual that came with the Quake PC. (It is 42 pages) The manual cover page states Quake Arcade Tournament Edition by LBE Systems, Version 1.20 R25 Operator Manual Distributed by Opus Entertainment out of Surrey, UK. Im guessing that the Red cabinet has something to do with the fact that Opus was probably the distribution partner for this thing in Canada. (LaserTron is not noted anywhere)

I thought I would provide some basic info for you.

I think the torrent files you have of the hard disk image dumps are going to be useless to you, the main reason being that the Quantum 3D Quicksilver Arcade PC does in fact require a SECURITY KEY in the form of a hardware dongle to be connected to the parallel port or the game wont load. Also, its seems to have had a funky dual video card setup and im sure there would be also be bios issues. Remember, this was back in 1998 and there were not that many hi-end 3D gaming platfroms around. The PC was actually developed for this game (apparently). This thing also actually ran on a Windows 95 PC !!!

Here are the ACTUAL basic Arcade PC specs directly from the manual I have...

- 266 MHz Pentium II with 512K Cache
    - (1) 168-pinn DIMM module of 66 MHz SDRAM, with 32 Meg each
    - Intel/Phoenix Bios
    - Intel 82440LX AGPset
    - SMC FDC37C677 I/O
    - Yamaha OPL3-SA3 (YMF715) Audio codec
    - Cirrus CL-GD5465 AGP Graphics Controller

And here is a link I found to an old page on the web that actually shows the Quantum 3D Quicksilver Arcade PC (This is definately the one as the back panel exactly matches the pics in the manual I have).....

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_quicksilver.htm

Anyway, I just have this thing in storage right now. I may still get around to my MAME project, but I have been thiking that maybe I should put this up for sale? Maybe for the rarity factor?? These things apparently cost $ 7,500 for complete units (or $ 3,500 for the PC alone!) back in 1998. But, its not like anyone is probably ever going to come across the PC chasis for it. I bet the clown who gutted the original PC probably NEVER EVEN had a clue how rare the thing was!! and it along with the Security Dongle probably ended up in a landfill years ago... Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaPhil View Post
    I think the torrent files you have of the hard disk image dumps are going to be useless to you, the main reason being that the Quantum 3D Quicksilver Arcade PC does in fact require a SECURITY KEY in the form of a hardware dongle to be connected to the parallel port or the game wont load. Also, its seems to have had a funky dual video card setup and im sure there would be also be bios issues. Remember, this was back in 1998 and there were not that many hi-end 3D gaming platfroms around. The PC was actually developed for this game (apparently). This thing also actually ran on a Windows 95 PC !!!
    I wouldn't imagine the need for a hardware dongle to be too big of an issue for a software cracker to deal with. The fact that it's running on special hardware may or may not be an issue but if someone was bound and determined to get it to work then I could easily see it happening.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

This is insane, no offense.

If you people see something like this and "don't have room", please for the love of ducks post it so some of us can go get it. *&%%$*$&*$&*

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Also, I just noticed the topic poster was banned so this might not even be true to begin with. What is wrong with people?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

It was also from 3 years ago...but the bumped post could still be a topic of interest to some people.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    It was also from 3 years ago...but the bumped post could still be a topic of interest to some people.
    HAHA I didn't even notice that. I'm getting old I guess