Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default my local vintage B&M stores

... and hw they rate in my eyes.

Game Insane(formerly Game City 360)
    Lawrenceburg, IN

Their trade-in values on current and previous gen stuff is usually better than Gamestop. Prices can be a bit higher. They are the only game store in this area, barring a worthless pawn shop, a small "used goods" store and the tiny section at Movie Gallery. I can accept $3 more than Gamestop's price if it means saving gas and an hour of my time. They have a disc fixer machine, and unlike some stores I've been to the employees actually know how to work the thing. They DO deal in new games.

As for vintage, they give very low trade credit for carts(between a quarter and 80 cents) which seems to result in people not trading them in too much, because they can get more at yard sales. Their stocking of the Yobo clone systems also resulted in a good deal of the better titles being picked clean already. But for their "valuable" titles, their prices are generally reasonable. The employees also know stuff about games and are friendly.

Buybacks
    Cincinnati, OH

This is a newer store that's opened. They carry vintage and current games as well as DVDs and CDs. Prices vary widely on vintage. Stuff they deem "total crap" gets low tags(Sword of Vermilion was only $4), while anything else is tagged rather expensive. They have a boxed Master System model 1 for $47, which is reasonable, but I suspect this is due to their lack of any games in stock for it. They want $80 for a Sega CD, $37 for a 32X and $100 for a ROB with the Gyromite setup.

Tonight I bought Sonic & Knuckles for $16 at this store, due to it being unavailable elsewhere. Only to search Amazon out of curiosity, and learn that this store runs an Amazon store front, where they sell the same game for $8. Nice to see that, aside from most of their A+ titles being listed on Amazon while the store gets the refuse, but they charge more in-store. Whatever "valuable" titles they have on hand probably cost more than you'd pay.

Current prices seem about average. Won't speak of trade-in values, I won't dare sell them anything. They DO NOT deal in new products.

Game Swap
    Florence, KY

This place has horrendous trade-in values, I know that much. 10% or less. They deal mostly in vintage as well as some last gen stuff as well as DVDs. Prices lately balance between "reasonable" and "yeah, right!". They charge more for copies of games with original boxes vs loose carts, the only store I've been to that does this.

The only new goods they carry are Yobo stuff, the Retro Duo and those knockoff SNES controllers. Prices on the clone systems are the average you'd see online. But their pricing is a bit off. $15 for a used NES RF box vs $10 for a new Yobo RF($8 for a Genesis 2 model RF from Yobo). Their selection is also a bit thin. Need a TV cord or AC adaptor for a non-popular system? They don't have it.

Sometimes the employees will give you a discount if you don't agree with the price, but this seems dependent on the employee on shift at the time. Rather than asking, you have to see if they offer to drop the price.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, your local game shops span 3 states! My local game shop only spans one city.