Thread: metal ddr pads

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default metal ddr pads

I recently came into the possession of two metal DDR pads. Both look to be in spectacular shape, but I'm currently unable to test them out:

The two cables have female 15 pin ports at the end, similar to what you would find on a computer monitor, just not maled ends like from said monitors.
    Now I know absolutely nothing about DDr, but were I to guess, I'd say these came from an arcade machine.

Can anyone give me a little info on these pads? Wether it be regarding my assumption they are arcade pads, a value, etc? Any help would be appreciated.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

They arn't arcade pads, they are home pads. We've got a pair of them, those ends (that look like the monitor plugs) go into a box, and that box has two buttons on top (select/start). From there there is a lead that goes to the PS2.

They are pretty sturdy and can take a good beating. Katchoo bought the ones we've got, new for about 70 apiece a few years back. I'm not sure of current value though.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    They arn't arcade pads, they are home pads. We've got a pair of them, those ends (that look like the monitor plugs) go into a box, and that box has two buttons on top (select/start). From there there is a lead that goes to the PS2.

They are pretty sturdy and can take a good beating. Katchoo bought the ones we've got, new for about 70 apiece a few years back. I'm not sure of current value though.
    Hmm, considering I paid 15 each for them at Good Will, I'd say I made out rather well then. A shame that box you mentioned wasn't included with them.

Think they would sell relatively well even without the box? Granted, shipping for these things will be a major pain in the rectum...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, those are TX-1000's. They're kind of a joke in the DDR community and I've never heard a single good thing said about them. That's from hardcore players though. If you're a beginner and play casually on them, they might last longer (if they're not broken already).

You'll still need to buy some control boxes if you want to play with them though. There's diagrams online for making your own if you're handy with that sort of thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Joke as in how? I'm really not up to any knowledge on DDR as a whole, so excuse my ignorance. Did I do alright for 15 apiece if I wanted to resell or use for gifts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want to sell them you're unfortunately going to have to track down the rest of the parts to test them, otherwise you probably won't get much at all for them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were broken, used DDR pads are really hit or miss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Visc View Post
    Joke as in how? I'm really not up to any knowledge on DDR as a whole, so excuse my ignorance. Did I do alright for 15 apiece if I wanted to resell or use for gifts?
    A joke as in they're just infamously bad pads. A lot of them arrive DOA and arrow inputs will not register and stop working all together. I've heard about some people modding their TX-1000's successfully to get more life out of them, but I'm not sure what that involves. The newer TX's like the 3000 & 4000 are built a lot sturdier but these 1000's are mostly junk. $15 a piece is what they're worth. If they work and you can get c-boxes for them, then maybe $50 each.

carlcarlson is right though, you really need the control boxes to get any money for them or else they're pretty much useless. You can buy replacements online. Here's a link to an Xbox one but they also make PS2 and USB ones:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...00-70-59m.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    A joke as in they're just infamously bad pads. A lot of them arrive DOA and arrow inputs will not register and stop working all together. I've heard about some people modding their TX-1000's successfully to get more life out of them, but I'm not sure what that involves. The newer TX's like the 3000 & 4000 are built a lot sturdier but these 1000's are mostly junk. $15 a piece is what they're worth. If they work and you can get c-boxes for them, then maybe $50 each.

carlcarlson is right though, you really need the control boxes to get any money for them or else they're pretty much useless. You can buy replacements online. Here's a link to an Xbox one but they also make PS2 and USB ones:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...00-70-59m.html

I appreciate the information, though I'm curious, do you think they have control boxes to connect them to 360s or ps3s at this point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Visc View Post
    I appreciate the information, though I'm curious, do you think they have control boxes to connect them to 360s or ps3s at this point?

There isn't a 360 c-box for any hard pad yet (it's the only reason that keeps me from playing the DDR Universe games), but I've heard about people using a XFPS adapter to get their hard pads to work on a 360. You'll still need a PS2 or USB c-box AND a wired 360 controller though:

http://www.xcm.cc/XFPS_3.0_Sniper.htm

I know that there are PS2 to PS3 controller adapters but I don't know how well they work with DDR pads. Should be okay I guess.
    Last edited by norkusa; 03-07-2009 at 01:37 PM.