Thread: Ps1 Persona's vs The SMT ones

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ps1 Persona's vs The SMT ones

I just got done beating Persona 3 Fes and absolutely loved it. I tried Persona 2 and didnt care for it much should I give Persona 1, and 2 another chance after I beat Persona 4?
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I think that Persona 2 is well worth it, if you can get past the interface and graphics.

Atlus is re-releasing Persona 1 for PSP later this year, with an updated interface and a few added cut scenes. If you have a PSP, I'd go that route. Otherwise, it's pretty dated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I found P1 terminally slow. I love the story and the characters, don't care so much for the gameplay itself. I'd say try out the DS one...but if you don't like that, skip em entirely. The stories are GREAT though.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Persona 1 isn't really that great. I can't imagine playing Persona 3 and 4 then going to 1 and 2...it's just too much of a step down. I consider myself somewhat "hardcore" when it comes to RPG's...but even I couldn't finish Persona.

I bought Persona 1 the day it was released and gave it good 10 hours or so. It ended up being so damn boring, I was forcing myself to play it those last few hours. YMMV. I also bought Persona 2 at Gamestop when those reprints started hitting a few years ago. Never even put it in my Playstation.

In short: To each their own.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

required reading of course http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.c...en/megaten.htm

Note that Persona 2 is the second half of a two-part game that America only got one of. however, there is now a complete translation hack of the other part, so if you are really interested you might want to check that out too.

Persona 1 is going to come out in the states for PSP soon as stated, hopefully this time they won't randomly change hair styles / skin colors like they did in the psx version. Otherwise you can wait for someone to retranslate the psx version, or maybe the PC version instead, but that'll take ages.

Basically Persona 3 and 4 are a pretty major change from their playstation counterparts. If you can enjoy them you will find things loosely linking the games together but it's not like they are super direct sequels to each other (other than the aforementioned Persona 2). Of course, Persona games are merely a branch of the overall Megami Tensei series, so there is a lot of variation on the themes available to try. Technically Persona 3 and 4 only have "shin megami tensei" in the title in the US for marketing reasons relating back to Nocturne.

/longwinded

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I like the storyline and world of revelations Persona, the only reason I even go back to it.

The gameplay isn't really that fun. The game is pretty heavy on grinding but even that's not enjoyable when you cast a Persona only to wait atleast a good 10 seconds for the attack to go off, only to have another character to cast the Persona as well in the same battle. Because every time you cast a Persona it makes battles seem much longer than they really are, especially early on when the Persona will take more than your weapons.

On the PSP you now actually have the ability to skip Persona summons when using a spell(thankfully,) but even if you don't skip it, they now come pretty fast in the new version.

The only bad thing about the PSP version is the music. Now it makes me think this is really going to be the music since they have the action sounds while the music is playing. Hopefully they just placed some crappy music over it and decided to actually give us some good music later on. The music is actually the sole reason I'll stick with the PSX version and be forced to watch the 10 second Persona summons whenever, if, I play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My6cfFVug_4 Crappy battle music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saEewLd85FE Crappy area music.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.