Thread: Help with A/V splitter and distributor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help with A/V splitter and distributor

I bought a really nice (and cheap) thinking I could use it instead of the cheap selector switch box I'm using for my consoles. After I got home, I realized it's not what I was thinking, as it's basically the opposite of what I wanted (it splits 1 signal to display on separate TVs instead of combining several signals to play on 1 TV). So, my question is, can I just use it backwards (plug the signal coming from the console into the "output" on the distributor and connect the TV to the "input" of the box. And if it matters, the box also amplifies the signal (it has an external power supply).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No you can't. If it's a powered video distribution amp (DA), then it only works as a splitter. You'll need to return/exchange it for a video switcher. And as a rule of thumb, most consumer grade video switchers aren't powered.

If you have a internet link to the product, I can tell you for sure. Nevertheless I'm 99.9% sure in my guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    No you can't. If it's a powered video distribution amp (DA), then it only works as a splitter. You'll need to return/exchange it for a video switcher. And as a rule of thumb, most consumer grade video switchers aren't powered.

If you have a internet link to the product, I can tell you for sure. Nevertheless I'm 99.9% sure in my guess.
    I can't return it as I bought it used at the flea market, the guy had a box of them he got from the local Circuit City. But it was only $15, so it's no huge loss if I can't use it.
    Here's a link to the product: http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/a-v-distribution/calrad/component-video-and-audio-da-calrad-40934b/prod40934B.html
    A PDF about it: http://www.calrad.com/download/40-934B.pdf
    Last edited by NES_Rules; 03-16-2009 at 10:40 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, that's a no go on that. You will not be able to use it the other way around. I used to work at Circuit City several years ago, and had to hook up our HDTV's to boxes very similar to this. We'd hook our main Direct TV box into this, and then chain several of these together, to run all the plasmas/LCDs/Big Screens off of these. Although, it's not what you need you still got a fairly good deal at $15- As cheap component DA's start at $40 and up. I'd hold onto this, as it may come in handy in the future. Especially if you want to run an HD video signal to other parts of the house. Of course, you can run composite or just audio signals through-out the house as there are many applications for this gizmo.

Anyway if you're looking for a basic composite or s-video switcher, do a little digging at closeout/bargain stores (like big lots) as you can often find them (with 3 or 4 inputs) for $5-$10. I picked up my last RCA switcher for $7 bucks in a wal-mart clearance isle.

Do not go to Best Buy or other big box electronic stores looking for a switcher, as you'll often pay a minimum of $20 for one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And the oAA
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Yeah, that's a no go on that. You will not be able to use it the other way around. I used to work at Circuit City several years ago, and had to hook up our HDTV's to boxes very similar to this. We'd hook our main Direct TV box into this, and then chain several of these together, to run all the plasmas/LCDs/Big Screens off of these. Although, it's not what you need you still got a fairly good deal at $15- As cheap component DA's start at $40 and up. I'd hold onto this, as it may come in handy in the future. Especially if you want to run an HD video signal to other parts of the house. Of course, you can run composite or just audio signals through-out the house as there are many applications for this gizmo.

Anyway if you're looking for a basic composite or s-video switcher, do a little digging at closeout/bargain stores (like big lots) as you can often find them (with 3 or 4 inputs) for $5-$10. I picked up my last RCA switcher for $7 bucks in a wal-mart clearance isle.

Do not go to Best Buy or other big box electronic stores looking for a switcher, as you'll often pay a minimum of $20 for one.
    I probably will keep it (I bought 2 so I may sell one off) just in case I ever want to play the same game on multiple TVs just for fun. Although I didn't think about using it for audio signals though, the other one may come in handy if I ever get my stereo set up properly.

I already have a couple of the basic cheap selector boxes, I was just hoping to upgrade to this one because it amplifies and all the connections are gold plated. And the one I'm using now might a short in one of the audio signals and is bleeding the color on text.
    Last edited by NES_Rules; 03-16-2009 at 01:15 PM.