Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: favourite dos games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Also, the original Hugo trilogy is amazing and I must replay the games sometime. I don't think I got through the second one entirely, however (the mansion / will-inspired whodunit thingamajig with random forest scenes. OOER!)
    I mentioned the Hugo trilogy in my list, I loved those games too... never got into Nitemare 3D because it was an FPS, and after noting that fact and maybe playing a level or two of the shareware I never played it again, but I loved the adventure games for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    *Hugo's House of Horrors (and its two sequels -- the first graphic adventures I played... still old favorites of mine, particularly the first one. Short and easy once you know how to beat it, but pretty fun anyway. I have Hugo's House of Horrors and Hugo 3: Jungle of Doom registered, but not Hugo 2: Whodunnit?. The shareware versions are complete, though, so I've beaten that one anyway. We registered the first one because we were stuck and needed the promised hint guide...
    Great games, it's too bad that after Nitemare 3D David P. Gray largely stopped making games.

Oh, and reading that interview (again? Not sure if I've read it before), it's funny that for the shortest game, Hugo 3 is the only one I haven't finished...

... Really though, if you know what you're doing Hugo 1 is really, really short. Is Hugo 3 really shorter than that? Hugo 1 takes a while longer your first time of course, though... but on that note, despite liking the games, I didn't like that bridge in the second game one bit. Getting across it is so, so hard (in the DOS versions that are what I have mostly played)! And I used to think the mummy in the first game was tough... the mummy is easy to avoid for me now, but that bridge is just ridiculous. The worst part, though, is that you can go across and get the paper wet... and have no idea for a long, long time that you've messed up. It doesn't tell you, it just blocks off your path much later in the game when you need that piece of paper. That's just cruel... it's stuff like that, or the deaths in Sierra games, that are a big part of why I love the Lucasarts style of adventure game so much. They'd give you hard puzzles, sure, but wouldn't do that kind of annoyance.

Oh, and the hedge maze was kind of a pain too. Hugo 2 is fun, but not quite as good as the original, I think, despite being a bit longer... it certainly is a good game though even so.

Not sure why I never finished Hugo 3... got stuck at some point and I just gave up and never went back, obviously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wolfenstein 3D
    Sim City
    Duke Nukem
    Raptor: Call of the Shadows
    CD-Man
    SpaceQuest II
    Hugo
    Commander Keen
    King's Quest IV

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Oh wow, I almost entirely forgot about Arachnophobia! Nothing quite like a bit of good spider-killing fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    ... Really though, if you know what you're doing Hugo 1 is really, really short. Is Hugo 3 really shorter than that?
    Yes, Hugo 3 is pretty short. There's really only one or two major puzzles, but they're tricky ones.

I didn't like that bridge in the second game one bit. Getting across it is so, so hard (in the DOS versions that are what I have mostly played)!
    The trick is to plan your route in advance as much as possible, and then purposefully drop the matches (yes, matches, not paper) when you get close to the other side.

I think I was never able to finish the game until years later when I finally found a FAQ. I never found the magnifying glass, since it's not at all obvious that you can walk off one screen in a different direction to get to the screen where it is found!
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Commander Blood
    2. Deja Vu

I played those two games over and over.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Sim City
    Duke Nukem
    Raptor: Call of the Shadows
    CD-Man
    SpaceQuest II
    Hugo
    Commander Keen
    King's Quest IV
    hugo that brings back old memories i remember a saturday day time kids show in the uk where they had a hugo game

Goodbye Galaxy.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retrobenj View Post
    hugo that brings back old memories i remember a saturday day time kids show in the uk where they had a hugo game
    Was that Live and Kicking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JanLazer

All the Sierra adventure games.
    Full Throttle
    Sam & Max
    Monkey Island
    Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

I know there's more...I'm still all about DOS...To hell with windows! I want to manually type my exe and bat files, dammit! Dir /w/p!

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe
    Wolfpack
    DOOM 1,2 and the expansions
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I've played a lot of DOS games and demo games but I can remember very few of them for some reason. Most of the full games I had either came with a computer or other add on hardware.

MY favorites out of the ones I can can remember are...
    Jurrasic Park
    D/Generation
    Sim City 2000
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My all time favorite dos game was Mean Streets by Access Software. The first of the Tex Murphy Adventures. Count Down and Crime wave were also quite good Access Titles. And Martian Memorandum, I preordered it. Hah

Next would be Rise of the Dragon @ Heart of China. Dynamix titles were amazing.

And of course all of the Space Quest Series.

Budokan was also a favorite.

OG Prince of Persia

Wing Commander 1 - Have to use a boot disk with EMM386 (spelling?) for expanded memory

Kyrandia - Only played the first one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Yes, Hugo 3 is pretty short. There's really only one or two major puzzles, but they're tricky ones.
    Huh, obviously I got stuck on one of them.

The trick is to plan your route in advance as much as possible, and then purposefully drop the matches (yes, matches, not paper) when you get close to the other side.
    That's right, I'd forgotten what it was. Still though, it was hard to maneuver... Oh, and there was a limit to the number of times you could cross the bridge, right? Except the game didn't tell you that either? Such good design...

I think I was never able to finish the game until years later when I finally found a FAQ. I never found the magnifying glass, since it's not at all obvious that you can walk off one screen in a different direction to get to the screen where it is found!
    Yeah, no way would I have finished with an FAQ. I didn't beat Hugo 2 until after we had the internet and I found a guide for it, for sure... that bridge alone would have doomed me. I remember getting pretty far back then, but not all the way through... the game has some very obscure puzzles.

Quote Originally Posted by jb143
    D/Generation
    D/Generation is fantastic, I do have it and would have mentioned it in my list if I'd remembered it... very good game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I wasn't aware that it was linked to a trilogy, though it's interesting to see from that link you posted that the other games don't seem to remotely resemble Nitemare.

The way I came across that game was when I was a kid, I somehow got my hands on one of those CDs that was packed with about a zillion shareware games. That's also how I first came in contact with Descent, which I also love but was already mentioned, and there was also Ken's Labyrinth and a bunch of other games which mostly sucked or didn't work for one reason or another, and then Nitemare-3D.

I liked Nitemare because of the whole Haunted House setting with zombies and Frankenstein monsters and vampire bats, which I really hadn't seen before in an FPS. I also liked how it was sort of reminiscent of Curse of the Catacombs (Catacomb 3-D); like how your character portrait in the HUD would slowly turn into a bloodied, dessicated corpse as you got more damaged, though I think in Nitemare you actually turned into a skeleton. Either way, much more dramatic and interesting than in Wolfenstein, so it was a nice touch.

It was kind of a pain in the ass to play though at the time. It was one of those games that you had to reboot into "Extended Mode" or something like that for it to work, and even then I remember it crashing many times. Still, it was good fun.
    Yep, the shareware CD I got at Babbage's (now a GameStop) had all of the Hugo trilogy, and Nitemare 3-D too. The CD was called "Game Empire" and had a ton of great shareware stuff on it from across the ages of DOS. I believe I was able to run the Game Empire version straight from Win95, but I could be wrong. It would've been pretty tough for me to figure out how to get it working from the CD and DOS back then.

I think you do get bloodied in the original version, but in the later version (i.e. the Win demo version I have on my XP machine), it looks like layers of skin wearing off to show a skeleton. Pretty nasty looking either way!

There's some great humorous bits throughout all the Hugo games; they aren't so evident through much of Nitemare 3-D, but in the first episode there's a strange puzzle where you have to get a closet full of enemies to dance to the Thriller tune, which is pretty funny. There's also some flat-out bizarre puzzles, like pushing a two-foot high pile of concrete blocks to stop a ceiling mounted machine gun from shooting you (even though no part of the turret is actually blocked by the gun, and you're obviously standing straight up).

I really should email Mr. Gray sometime with a few questions. Last year's interview was great but there's just a few more questions I'd ask about.

I also should look into the Catacomb 3-D series, since I enjoyed it quite a bit when I played the shareware a few years ago (somebody put together a Classicgaming site dedicated to it).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Forgot to mention the Incredible Machine series. There's a modern ripoff sold at Target called Crazy Machines for about $10 ... still pretty good.
    DP Buy/Sell feedback is here: GM80's Feedback Thread

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Some of my favorite DOS games:

Ducktales: The Quest for Gold
    Jeopardy (not sure which version though)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wing Commander Series
    Commander Keen
    Jazz Jackrabbit
    Duke Nukem 1,2,3D
    Epic Pinball
    Rebel Assault 2
    Chopper 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Chris Sawyer Transport Tycoon Deluxe. It is still popular to these day and fan already made it open source called Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've never really been a PC gamer of any kind, but I've always been a fan of DinoPark Tycoon and Museum Madness.

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not quite sure what makes DOs games differ from 3.x/9X, but i have Rogue and Galactic and like those, as well as Warcraft...and i have the old Sim games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I have a lot of good memories of playing game show games on the 386's at school. Classic Concentration, Win Lose Or Draw, and Jeopardy were all pretty good. Win Lose Or Draw actually had no drawing mechanic for the players, if memory serves.