Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have the prices for used PS2 games hit rock bottom?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Have the prices for used PS2 games hit rock bottom?

Except for a few "rarities" I'm surprised at how low the used game sections are pricing the PS2 titles. Even the really good ones can be had for only a few dollars. I don't even remember PS1 games going this low when they were phasing them out.

What gives? Do you expect the prices to stay dirt cheap, and then slowly creep up like many of the PS1 games today? Right now the PS2 games offer awesome gaming value for the money.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know about your area but around me PS2 games still cost about $8 used. It's a bit more than I like to pay for a used game.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that once GameStop stops selling PS2 software entirely, the prices will drop and most of the titles won't be worth anything. Until then, their value is held up a bit. The PS2 was extremely successful, so it has a very large userbase that will be tossing their games when they upgrade, resulting in a deluge of common titles everywhere. Of course, the rare games will start to climb in value, so this is probably a good time to grab those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Right now is an excellent time to pick up some uncommon titles and to beef up a PS2 library. There is that good "window" opportunity to snatch up games for a system when prices are cheap and games are available. Right now is an awsome time to pick up PS2 stuff. I have expanded my collection from about 50 games to 150 games in the last year with the PS2, paying an average of about $5 a game. Gamestop has its issues, but I found the best selection of uncommons with its PS2 stuff recently, and have found some great stuff for cheap.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Most JRPG's are holding their value. Not really a surprise I guess.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Gamestation in the UK have a 5 for £10 deal on a lot of games. Thing is, very few of them are actually worth buying. Most of those in the 4 for £20 offer are worth it, though- the likes of Vice City and FFX-2, for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    I don't know about your area but around me PS2 games still cost about $8 used. It's a bit more than I like to pay for a used game.
    Really? $8 is pretty cheap for a good game, not to mention one only a generation old. How much do you usually pay for used games?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I dunno, the prices don't seem that low to me. I found much better deals on PS1 RPGs and other quality games at GameStop/EB/Software Etc. and the like back at the equivalent point in its lifespan, and back then, nearly everything was complete. I virtually ignore GameStop's used sections now because it's a rarity to find something that isn't loose and priced just a few bucks below what it costs new. For that matter, the sealed games don't get worthwhile markdowns anymore either, so I largely ignore GameStop entirely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can find everything from $1-$30 used for PS2. I think it'll be another 2 years before PS2 stops releasing games and major companies dump their collections of used games. Right now you can find some good deals but nothing to consider rock bottom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mnbren05 View Post
    You can find everything from $1-$30 used for PS2.
    That covers the majority of games but then you have the Marvel Vs Capcom 2's and the Fatal Frame games, just to name a few. Unfortunately those have yet to come down in price and there are quite a few MvC2 available for PS2 in several GS's around here.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure what will happen to the PS2 games, but they're a lot cheaper than when I was little!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I dunno, the prices don't seem that low to me. I found much better deals on PS1 RPGs and other quality games at GameStop/EB/Software Etc. and the like back at the equivalent point in its lifespan, and back then, nearly everything was complete. I virtually ignore GameStop's used sections now because it's a rarity to find something that isn't loose and priced just a few bucks below what it costs new. For that matter, the sealed games don't get worthwhile markdowns anymore either, so I largely ignore GameStop entirely.
    Agreed, plus stuff at GameStop is usually scuffed to heck and generally not very desirable at all.

I've been thinking the same question as the OP lately; I've got a list of wants indeed and hope I can make some headway on it.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The best PS2 bargains to be had at Gamestop are for someone who wants to grab EA Sports, Sega Sports or 989/Sony Sports games.

It seems like 9/10 of the sports games at Gamestop are $2.99 or less and many of them are 99 cents.

Too many people take this sort of thing for granted. But for about $5, you can pick up all four of the NFL 2K games that VC/Sega released on the PS2.

For 5 bucks, you can get the first 5 Madden games or the first five NCAA Football games on PS2.

Most people here will say so what but a lot of other places that sell those same titles used charge a hell of a lot more than 99 cents for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post

Most people here will say so what but a lot of other places that sell those same titles used charge a hell of a lot more than 99 cents for them.
    I think it's a moot point since no one actually cares about those games. If Gamestop could sell them for any more than that and have people buy them, you can bet they would.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

For 5 bucks, you can get the first 5 Madden games or the first five NCAA Football games on PS2.

99 cents, what a rip-off!

DP STORE SALE: Buy one get TWO FREE! Ask at the register - you want Madden or NCAA PS2 games? For every one you buy at 99 cents we'll give you TWO MORE FREE. Mention that you read it on the forum and we'll be happy to add to your sports game collection.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    99 cents, what a rip-off!

DP STORE SALE: Buy one get TWO FREE! Ask at the register - you want Madden or NCAA PS2 games? For every one you buy at 99 cents we'll give you TWO MORE FREE. Mention that you read it on the forum and we'll be happy to add to your sports game collection.
    Just for kicks, I'd really like to hear when somebody actually takes advantage of this offer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Just for kicks, I'd really like to hear when somebody actually takes advantage of this offer.
    I totally would if I lived nearby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    I think it's a moot point since no one actually cares about those games. If Gamestop could sell them for any more than that and have people buy them, you can bet they would.
    It would only be a moot point if those same games were 99 cents across the board. But they aren't.

In my original post, I also mentioned that GS are one of the few places (offline) that sells those same games for 99 cents. A lot of other places won't discount them that low.

There are plenty of places that sell used games which will price something like PS2 Madden 2005 for $3-5, if not more. Pawn shops, for example. Or video/music stores that sell used games.

Give me a solid list of places offline that will sell 60-70% of the PS2 sports games for 99 cents then you can call me a liar. I'm not talking Ebay or Amazon Marketplace. I mean actual stores you can walk into and pick them up at. Don't waste anybody's time by listing regional stores that 90% of us here aren't able to visit either.

By the way, someone could argue that nobody still buys a lot of the PS2 stuff that is $2-3 and that isn't just sports games.
    Last edited by bangtango; 03-23-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

There are plenty of places that sell used games which will price something like PS2 Madden 2005 for $3-5, if not more. Pawn shops, for example. Or video/music stores that sell used games.
    You can't compare a coporation like Gamestop to pawn shops. These are the same places that sell broken 15 inch CRT TVs for $50.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    You can't compare a coporation like Gamestop to pawn shops. These are the same places that sell broken 15 inch CRT TVs for $50.
    My only point is there is no better place to buy that genre of game for a last gen system than at Gamestop. As smart as you make yourself out to be, you couldn't think of a better source to get that type of game.

Your crap moot point response was a moot point itself.

Isn't it a little shortsighted to dismiss a genre of game just because you don't like to play it?