Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Onlive? Wtf?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The final part of the interview has been posted on Joystiq.

I'm interested in where this could lead to; imagine if the OnLive technology was included in your cable box. So over here, you'd have your Virgin V+ HD cable box with a normal remote and a Virgin/OnLive branded control pad. Firstly, this gives customers something a little more substantial to put under their telly than this random magic control pad. The V+ box already does all your cable telly and movies on demand, so adding the ability to play high-end video games would be awesome. A partnership like this would allow for high bandwith usage as you'd be using Virgin's own lines, so they could offer a reasonably priced cable+phone+games+internet package.

Let's just see if it really does work first. If it does, I can see the concept really taking off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's another interesting article where they state that this service was announced specifically to entice larger corporations such as Microsoft, Google and Apple to buy them out.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

That is, if it doesn't turn out to be vaporware.

Oh, and they say that their centers will cover 1000 miles each, what about Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Guam?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Here's another interesting article where they state that this service was announced specifically to entice larger corporations such as Microsoft, Google and Apple to buy them out.
    I was actually chatting about this with a couple of people earlier. It came up as a point in the discussion that OnLive are really just looking for someone to buy the technology. This is a small company and they surely can't have the funds necessary. As an evolution to the cable box idea, imagine if Apple did license/buy the OnLive technology and include it in a new version of the AppleTV. Hell, surely they could just make the decoding software run native on the AppleTV. The whole game purchasing side would be tied into iTunes as an App Store for the AppleTV and it would immediately throw Apple into the console market.

Plus, I'd like to see Apple's take on a redesigned controller. I bet it'd be white, and have one single button and a clickwheel. Or just one big multi-touch panel..... Seriously though (now I've done the Apple bashing for you), a slick white redesign of that pad with a shiny silver Apple logo would be awesome.
    Last edited by CosmicMonkey; 04-04-2009 at 03:17 PM.