Thread: Help! Should i buy platinum or black label FF7?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile Help! Should i buy platinum or black label FF7?

heya, i'm planning on buying ff7, i already have it but its not in the best condition and i need to buy a new one, i want to get the rarest kind, would that be black label or platinum? I won't be playing it and am hoping whichever i get will go up in value over the years, please help! almost forgot, i can't afford the sealed ones though :-(

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tiger86 View Post
    heya, i'm planning on buying ff7, i already have it but its not in the best condition and i need to buy a new one, i want to get the rarest kind, would that be black label or platinum? I won't be playing it and am hoping whichever i get will go up in value over the years, please help! almost forgot, i can't afford the sealed ones though :-(

I hear the black label plays a lot better than the platinum version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Square produced many copies of both. You can can get either, but the original is in higher demand because so many think its really "ultra rare".
    If I were you, I would just get the cheaper one or the version you think looks better.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're looking for 'teh phat pricez', I suggest you go with a black-label copy with the misprint of the word "masterpiece" on the back of the case. It's the one that fetches the highest auction price.

Though, really, it's such a small and silly misprint that I wouldn't pay much extra for it, if at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did they make a platinum version of FF7?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Did they make a platinum version of FF7?
    I think he means "Greatest Hits" and is getting it mixed up with the Microsoft "Platinum Hits." Or, at least, that was my assumption.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is FF7 going to retain the value it currently has? With the release of Advent Children, I would think that FF7 had peaked, at least I would hope so. I cannot understand the absolute adoration that people have for this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Quote Originally Posted by aclbandit View Post
    I think he means "Greatest Hits" and is getting it mixed up with the Microsoft "Platinum Hits." Or, at least, that was my assumption.
    In Europe GH was marketed as 'platinum' so that could be it. In which case, the platinum version of FF7 has a video demo of FF8 which is fairly collectable in itself, so it's a toss-up really.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah i have the platinum version but unfortunately i've lost it and my ones also not in the best condtion so i'm gonna bu a new one, tempted to buy the black label one because it seems rarer but i wouldn't mind platinum cos you get the demo in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FF7 has already started to go down in price. I used to be able to sell them for $75 but now they're hovering around $55. If you're getting it strictly as an investment then you're setting yourself up for a loss unless you can find it for about $10. When it gets rereleased (it will happen) the price will probably go down again because let's face it, the ps1 graphics haven't aged well.

(I'm only talking about NTSC, I don't know European trends)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

FF7 is a horrible investment piece. It peaked, and is now going down. I doubt it will go up like that again, since a (console) re-release will probably drive prices down.

Just play it to enjoy it. Don't pay any extra for a silly "masterpIece" edition. Hell, you might even get lucky and get one accidentally. That's what I did. Of course, sounds like you're in the UK, so maybe things don't apply.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This should get moved to What's it Worth so it gets the attention it needs since this isn't the right area for it.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    This should get moved to What's it Worth so it gets the attention it needs since this isn't the right area for it.
    I thought I moved this yesterday.

As said by others, neither is 'rare' in the slightest. The black label is more in demand, but when a game goes GH/Platinum that meant that it sold alot of copies. When a game sells alot of copies, it is not by definition rare.

demand /= rare
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game shouldn't cost more than $20-$25. It's COMMOM and easy to find. Overhyped popularity shouldn't justify spending more. You can even get the PC version dirt cheap, but people avoid it because it used MIDI tunes. There was even a recent DVD reissuing of the PC version.

If you're collecting, get the black label. Playing, doesn't matter. I doubt there are ANY differences between the game code in any release.

My local store has several copies for $70 each that no one buys. They had to move most of them into the backr oom because they were taking up too much space. While big spenders may go to eBay, the people who shop in such places don't want to pay collector prices. Actually, know what... none of the stuff they keep in their "rare and pricey" case ever sells.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Diosoth View Post
    The game shouldn't cost more than $20-$25. It's COMMOM and easy to find. Overhyped popularity shouldn't justify spending more. You can even get the PC version dirt cheap, but people avoid it because it used MIDI tunes. There was even a recent DVD reissuing of the PC version.
    Um, what? The original US release of the PC version still sells for $70 or more.

It's the European versions that aren't really worth much because they're usually disc only copies in a DVD case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GenocYder

I scored my typo black label on accident from my brother who had it in his neglected college boy collection but I would still try for at least the black label because that's just how much I like the game. When Final Bout came out as a re-release, though, I bought that one instead of re-buying the original release, but I guess its just what kind of collector you are and how much you like the game. Certain games aren't worth going for the original release if they're just an average game...
    -=-Proud owner of the Video Game Retirement Home-=-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

I thought we had determined in another thread that the misprinted case was the "second edition," so if you're actually interested in having the original one or first edition or whatever, you would want one without the typo. Or does the oddity of a misprint outweigh the value of a first edition? Seems to me it's kind of a gimmicky thing to get people to think it's more valuable, as if Square noticed the misprint and recalled it or halted production immediately to correct it, resulting in the non-misprint editions.

Maybe I am just over-thinking all of this...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like others have said, this would be a really bad investment if you pay more than $20 for it. The price will continue to come down but factory sealed copies will always command a premium.

As for the remake, it will definitely happen if Square Enix likes making money. However, I no longer believe the rumors that it will be a PS3 exclusive. They could make more money releasing it on the DS but I'm sure it will be a multiple console release.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Like others have said, this would be a really bad investment if you pay more than $20 for it. The price will continue to come down but factory sealed copies will always command a premium.
    How do you think I feel? I paid MSRP when that sucker was first released. IIRC it was very expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I believe SquareEnix will re-release FFVII with update graphics. With a lot of their classic FFI-IV getting re-release for handheld system, I don't see why SquareEnix won't do the same for FFVII. FFVII IMO should not be cost more than $20. I would shop around Thrift or pawnshop.