Thread: Two Genesis Sound Problems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

Default Two Genesis Sound Problems

A friend of mine asked me if I could try to fix two Geneses for him, saying that they simply did not work at all. I took them home, plugged them in and tried to play Aladdin on them, but he was right - there was just a flash when I turned the system on, then nothing. So I cleaned out the cartridge slots and sure enough the game worked on both systems, revealing new problems.

On the model 2 Genesis, the picture is fine but the sound is distorted. I used the same power supply and AV cables on another model 2 Genesis of mine with no problems, so I eliminated the concern of a bad power supply or crappy cables. Basically, there is a buzzing sound that begins after the "Produced by or under license from..." screen and then persists for about 99% of the time after and gets louder when there is more bass.

The other Genesis, a model 1, works just fine with the RF output, but there is no sound at all from the AV port. I haven't tried the headphone jack yet, but hopefully someone here can tell me if there's a way to correct these or what to try next.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Your next step should be to open them both up and examine the connection ports, where the AV cable goes in. Over time, as cords are jiggled in and out of the connecters, the solder connecting them to the main board comes loose. The same thing happens with the controller ports.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Genesis 2 wasn't best known for it's audio quality.

Btw, make sure you are using the correct AV cables for the Genesis 1. Because the RF modulator takes it's audio from the same spot the AV port get's it from. Headphone jack is different, before it's down mixed to mono.