Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: underrated games

Insert Coin (Level 0) adam_devry's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default underrated games

Put down the games that GI,gamepro,nintendomag, gamespot, and others have gave low ratings to put you have played and liked. For me its Eat Lead. GI gave it a 7 which isnt bad but they bashed the heck out of it I think its funny really easy but funny i mean you get 15 achivement points just for starting the game and 5 for the first time you push start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adam_devry View Post
    Put down the games that GI,gamepro,nintendomag, gamespot, and others have gave low ratings to put you have played and liked. For me its Eat Lead. GI gave it a 7 which isnt bad but they bashed the heck out of it I think its funny really easy but funny i mean you get 15 achivement points just for starting the game and 5 for the first time you push start.
    Speed Racer on the Wii -- one of the few games that uses the Wii remote in a way that isn't stupid. Great game.

Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ for Nintendo DS -- great shmup, and hilariously bizarre.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wartech: Senko no Ronde

This game was used as a toilet by the vg journalists at large. When people start throwing around negative context quips like 'Dreamcast game' I stop listening.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Brigandine(PSX.) IGN gave it a 3/10 rating. Their main reason why they gave it such a low score is due to how long the battle animations took. Hey what's this? You can turn battle animations off?

God Hand(PS2.) IGN, again, gave it a 3/10 rating. Due to how hard the game was and Gene was too hard to control. Maybe the game doesn't suck, but IGN?

Wild ARMs 3(PS2.) Gamespot gave it a 7.5 rating, which isn't bad, but it certainly deserves higher. When you read why they gave it the ranking, they spend half the review comparing the original Wild ARMs to FF7 and giving false information(like FF7 coming out first, which is false by a few months.) The rest of the review they were bashing WA3 saying for a game during that time it should have voice acting(which hardly any RPGs during that year had voice acting) or picking at small things within the game that didn't matter if they were there or not due to that they had no effect on gamelpay. Let's not forget that Suikoden 3 came out the same month(after WA3,) and it had no voice acting as well as some glaring flaws but they rated it 9.1. Though don't get me wrong., I love Suikoden 3 and I'd agree on a 9/10 score, but from the standpoint of WA3 and its review, Gamespot is biased.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

I like Enchanted Arms for the 360. I remember it getting mixed reviews, most bashed the us voice acting, which is horrible but you can turn the jap voices on anyway. I really like the battle system it uses, it's not too hard and not too easy. I also like the golem collecting aspect, since I'm a sucker for pokemon type collect and raise games.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Saga Frontier (PS) got a 3.5/5 in Official Playstation Magazine about a decade ago. Honestly, that game is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jumping Flash 2

I love that game. It did okay when it was released, but no one really talks about it anymore

Insert Coin (Level 0) iloveguns's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
    Saga Frontier (PS) got a 3.5/5 in Official Playstation Magazine about a decade ago. Honestly, that game is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.
    OMG! i still have that game.. its my favorite...
    well i am now running it on an emulator..
    the best things in life are those moments unexpected...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brigandine(PSX.) IGN gave it a 3/10 rating. Their main reason why they gave it such a low score is due to how long the battle animations took. Hey what's this? You can turn battle animations off?

God Hand(PS2.) IGN, again, gave it a 3/10 rating. Due to how hard the game was and Gene was too hard to control. Maybe the game doesn't suck, but IGN?

Heh, those were the same two I was going to reccomend.

Another great underrated game was Wizardry for the PS2. An old school dungeon crawler that has excellent artwork and atmosphere. Probably my favorite RPG on the system but seemed to get nothing but bad reviews when it was released.

I'd also like to veto Shadow of the Colossus. Whenever there's a thread about obscure or underrated games someone always has to plug that game. It was a critically acclaimed game that sold like a million copies, it is neither obscure or undderrated.
    Last edited by Mark III; 04-02-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

Mission Impossible (N64 and PS)- A decent spy game that got pretty low reviews from a lot of magazines. The voice acting is hilariously bad (almost Resident Evil bad) and there are some collision detection problems, but overall it is a decent game.

Metal Gear Ac!d (PSP)- Got good reviews by magazines but gets shit on by pretty much everyone else. I think its a pretty good game and pretty challenging, and my friends who are Metal Gear fans also enjoy it.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

According to Metacritic, Two Worlds is sitting at 50 average on the 360. I absolutely loved the game and seriously can't wait to dig into their second one, The Temptation whenever it ships.

Others in the 50s:
    Beowulf
    Civil War
    Bullet Witch
    Tenchu Z

In the 60s:
    Need for Speed Undercover
    Crash of the Titans
    Wheelman
    EDF 2017
    Enchanted Arms

Lower 70s:
    Full Auto
    Timeshift
    The Simpsons
    Call of Juarez
    Amped 3
    Mercenaries 2
    Just Cause

I'll stop there, once you get into 75+ you get a slew of good games. Plus 75 isn't "mixed" or "negative" anymore. For being 50 - 75 games, I enjoyed all of these. Some of them moreso than the games showing up higher in the list.

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seem to recall that Flatout 2 (Ultimate Carnage) was dismissed by lots of reviewers. Incredibly fun game with lots of Oh Shit! moments. Fun racer with great physics.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

as the resident AR fanboy (not accounts receivable), i have to pimp advent rising. phenomenal game. did what force unleashed tried to do, 3 years earlier, and better. engaging story, moving soundtrack. but the major sites panned it for some technical glitches (which i never encountered on my playthroughs).

egm 5/10, gamespy 5/10, g4 4/10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Vampire Night - 65% Metacritic.. but Time Crisis 3 gets an 81? I dunno, I had a lot of fun with it. The voice acting is hilarious. "Don't COME! Don't come!"

and 2nds to:
    Bullet Witch. Had a ton of fun with this. The only major thing that bugged me were the glitchy shadows.. A fantastic leading lady and whoa, once those floating brains starting tossing whole cities full of cars at you! Fun times...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

NIGHT TRAP

Yes, I liked it and found it pretty entertaining and even difficult at times. The 3DO and PC versions made it a little less shitty what with the dramatically improved video resolution and load times. Its just a big campy mess but still fun nonetheless.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    EMC2INTOSH

Off the top of my head the first game that comes to mind is The Red Star for PS2. Really fun beat em up/shooter game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiankirchoff View Post
    The voice acting [in Mission Impossible for N64] is hilariously bad (almost Resident Evil bad)
    It's worse; much worse.

But here, y'alls can be the judge of that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwHWi9dV-cY&fmt=18
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 04-04-2009 at 05:10 AM. Reason: &fmt=18

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Bullet Witch. Had a ton of fun with this. The only major thing that bugged me were the glitchy shadows.. A fantastic leading lady and whoa, once those floating brains starting tossing whole cities full of cars at you! Fun times...
    AGREED!
    For me, this is one of the best damn games I have played in the past 8 years or so. I absolutely LOVED it! I beat it on Normal, then Easy, and now i'm going through it a third time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    NIGHT TRAP

Yes, I liked it and found it pretty entertaining and even difficult at times. The 3DO and PC versions made it a little less shitty what with the dramatically improved video resolution and load times. Its just a big campy mess but still fun nonetheless.
    I have always had a soft spot for full motion video games. I love Dragon's Lair and Space Ace (How can you hate Don Bluth) and when I got a Sega CD I fell in love with Time Gal and Revenge of Ninja.

Eventually I got Night Trap for the Sega CD-32X (MUCH better than the Sega CD version) and have ton's of great memories of my friends and I staying up all night playing it.
    Last edited by Wraith Storm; 04-04-2009 at 08:12 AM.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I totally agree with Night Trap and Vampire Night!! Vampire Night is a classic that I , too, enjoy a little more than Time Crisis. I also love Night Trap for its campiness and I enjoy both my Sega CD and 3DO copies every now and then

To me, I think two underrated games are Lunar:TSS and Lunar:EB for the Sega CD, especially Lunar:EB. It is still my favorite 16-bit RPG to date....
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

To me, I think two underrated games are Lunar:TSS and Lunar:EB for the Sega CD, especially Lunar:EB. It is still my favorite 16-bit RPG to date....
    Lunar? Underrated? Regardless of the original incarnations or the complete versions, the Lunar series are in no way underrated. The fanbase is a bit too large seeing as neither are very good.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.