Thread: Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe are having a Donkey Kong rematch at E3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe are having a Donkey Kong rematch at E3

http://kotaku.com/5194790/king-of-ko...ing-down-at-e3

Of course, as someone who has watched and loved King of Kong, I am highly interested in the result here.

Suck a hot sauce, Billy. Go Steve.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only way I see Billy showing up is IF he has already topped the high score on tape. It will go down like this....Steve barely beats the record at E3, only to have Billy turn over a tape where he has beaten that score.

BTW...Netflix has added "The King of Kong" to their instant play list. Meaning, if you are a member of netflix, you can watch it instantly from you PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    The only way I see Billy showing up is IF he has already topped the high score on tape. It will go down like this....Steve barely beats the record at E3, only to have Billy turn over a tape where he has beaten that score.
    The movie makes it seem like Billy only turned in a tape. But they left out the part where he actually plays the game. Fact is.. he did play it, and he has the world record.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    The movie makes it seem like Billy only turned in a tape. But they left out the part where he actually plays the game. Fact is.. he did play it, and he has the world record.
    yeah, he's got the record, and props to that. doesn't change the fact that he's a total douchenozzle
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Has it not been thoroughly established at this point that whatever its entertainment value may be, The King of Kong presented a gross distortion of the facts?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The movie is very obvious to present Billy as the antagonist .. but the documentary is so good that its very easy to believe them.

I don't have the pleasure to know those guys but at least Billy has been around for many years.

It could be very interesting to see them compete, but i doubt that it will happen because all of the tension created by that documentary.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The movie does take some creative liberties, but I don't think Billy Mitchell helped his case much. As I understand it, he may not have been actively avoiding Steve the way the movie implies. However, he probably is a douche in real life, and Twin Galaxies did botch some of the score submissions like was shown in the movie. The basic story as a whole (with Steve's scores being rejected at first, and Billy's sketchy tape, and Steve travelling around the country playing DK) is truthful, and I don't really understand why some people have acted like Billy is an angel and Steve is the real asshole. Just because they took some editing liberties doesn't mean that the complete opposite of what the movie portrays is the truth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    The movie does take some creative liberties, but I don't think Billy Mitchell helped his case much. As I understand it, he may not have been actively avoiding Steve the way the movie implies. However, he probably is a douche in real life, and Twin Galaxies did botch some of the score submissions like was shown in the movie. The basic story as a whole (with Steve's scores being rejected at first, and Billy's sketchy tape, and Steve travelling around the country playing DK) is truthful, and I don't really understand why some people have acted like Billy is an angel and Steve is the real asshole. Just because they took some editing liberties doesn't mean that the complete opposite of what the movie portrays is the truth.
    I don't think that anyone could think that Steve is an ass-hole; he is a real hero for many people ... people that may have never played DK, hehehehe

I wonder if Steve could surpass the 1,000,000 mark again in public ... it's really tough for me to reach 100,000 :S
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Billy is awesome, he reminds me of billy mays combined with a beegee.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...I ...think Billy Mitchell helped his case ... As I understand it, ...Steve ... probably is a douche in real life,... Billy is an angel and Steve is the real asshole.
    Just because they took some editing liberties doesn't mean that the complete opposite of what the movie portrays is the truth.
    You sure about that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Strange coincidence, but a guy here on campus who told me he and a friend met Mr. Mitchell at MGC within the last few years (I'm sure he was more specific) when they were invited to give a presentation on an indie Dreamcast game they released.

Said his friend got Billy Mitchell's autograph on his t-shirt, spilled tomato juice on the flight back home, and the autograph came out along with the juice.

Ya live and learn. Hope somebody else enjoys that story!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I suggest giving this a read:
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165895

I think the movie did good though to be honest. It made Steve seem like he had all the odds against him, and Billy was the unstoppable champ. It's drama, and a good flick needs that. Neither guy is all good or all douchey...they're just two guys who are really, really good at Donkey Kong.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0) Moon Jump's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Moon Jump 81

King of Kong was a very entertaining movie. It's funny for me because I went to Funspot the year it came out when it was in limited release and many of the people I spoke to were unhappy with how everything was done.

The truth is, Billy and Steve HAVE played before together at the same time at a convention. I heard Steve beat Billy, but didn't take the record.

If you check out the extra footage on the DVD half of them are Billy making fun of himself and even his parents making fun of him. The problem is most of what Billy is doing is being a character, but it's hard to tell where the person and the character are mixing.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Has it not been thoroughly established at this point that whatever its entertainment value may be, The King of Kong presented a gross distortion of the facts?
    Yes.

http://superbunker.com/resources/dkt/

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not to side track this topic but did TG ever go back and fix all the scores that were done on emulation instead of the real hardware?

The last time I checked that site was years ago and their records seemed to be "fishy". Meaning, scores were made on PC emulation instead of real hardware. Unless they went back and fixed all of the scores, the site's high scores seem pretty much useless as a "real" or "offical" record to me. I am sure they cleaned it up, but I never cared enough to go back and find out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anybody have any idea if G4 is going to show this or they'll be just focusing on the big name games?

And on the topic of Billy Mitchell arriving, I wouldn't be suprised if he did show up considering how documentaries can be one sided most of the times, even though I can watch King of Kong over and over!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    suckit@balls.com
    PSN
    refan

I hope they play it live. I love being bored for hours!!!!

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

Quote Originally Posted by refan View Post

I really hope that one dork is there. The one who walked around the arcade whispering to everyone about the DK kill screen coming up.

Also I know this wont go over too well here but both documentaries King of Kong and Chasing Ghosts almost made me emberassed to collect video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by refan View Post
    Is it time to mention the cleavage of Mr. Mitchell's significant other now?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)