Thread: Curiousity on old con on new tv

Insert Coin (Level 0) gameRaTeR's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Curiousity on old con on new tv

How to connect something like the atari to a modern tv? I dont have any old Television sets! and it has one solid black port. Please help DP!

P.S- I'll pay for an adapter jes gimme a name!
    Ladies and Gentlemen..Boys and girls!
    Have I a show for you..
    I R CACTUAR!

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty simple really,just search for Atari Video Adapter and many will pop up on ebay.
    Also any place that sells electronics should have them they are called 'F' Jack (Coaxial) to Phono adapters,heres a gold one from radioshack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103471

Hope this helps.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But,

That's only good if your TV has an analog tuner in it.

If it doesn't then you'll need to mod your game system with a composite video or s-video output.

RJ

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    But,

That's only good if your TV has an analog tuner in it.

If it doesn't then you'll need to mod your game system with a composite video or s-video output.

RJ
    has it come to that now? are they not shipping tv's with these anymore? wow... Ive got a new tv and everyone I know who has one currently has this connection on their tv, as useless as it may be, but wow if they dont anymore...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have not seen ONE TV without an analog tuner. I doubt that's going to happen.

Besides, they have Composite NTSC/PAL inputs, you can always get a VCR.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    I have not seen ONE TV without an analog tuner. I doubt that's going to happen.

Besides, they have Composite NTSC/PAL inputs, you can always get a VCR.
    VCR? They stopped making those in December.

Analog tuners? They are going away in the USA this year. Manufacturers either already have or will stop making them VERY soon.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

VCR can be bought for cheap. Bad excuse, you don't need NEW.

As for the tuners, they can still keep the analog tuner, because some things may still rely on it (not much but there are still uses), like security cameras for example. They really don't need to ditch it because it can keep the same jack.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to mention they are also some dual tuners as well,having both analog and digital all in one line,and if I remember correctly,DVD recorders also have dual or analog as well. Infact they said they have to keep some type of analog tuner in televisions because theres still low powered tv stations that will never go digital. And VCR's they still make those,there usually a dual machine with a dvd player or recorder by them,yes some of them have no tuners,but some do.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic View Post
    Unless the govt grants another extension, all TV stations will cease analog transmissions June 12th, so TV manufacturers will have no reason to include analog tuners in sets to support it.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html
    Not totally true. Low power stations will continue, things like religious channels, etc..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Broadcast 2-13 are at the same frequencies as cable 2-13, and there's no need for cable to stop sending analog signals, only OTA. I think it'll be a LONG time before TVs lose the ability to tune analog programming on these channels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If so, that's still OTA, and would be ATSC broadcast anyway.

You still won't see NTSC tuners disappear until the cable companies force you to have a 'box' to subscribe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic View Post
    I'm talkling about analog tuners, not NTSC.
    I'm using NTSC as shorthand for the US NTSC analog channel frequency allocation. ATSC is digital, NTSC is analog.

To be honest, I'm not even sure where this is going, so in summary:

Analog broadcast shutdown is not applicable or required of cable systems, a fact they play up in their advertisements to calm old people down.

The frequencies used to transmit cable channels 2-13 are the same as over the air broadcast channels 2-13. Even a TV from the 60s can receive cable channels 2-13 with no special hardware (apart from an impedance matching transformer)

Because cable companies seem to have no immediate plans to cease providing analog television, there is no reason to believe that TV manufacturers have any reason to stop providing tuners that are, at least, capable of receiving & processing channels 2-13. If they did, they'd say "digital only" or something, and they probably wouldn't sell very well.

Since all North American RF-based game consoles use channels 2, 3, or 4, I don't believe there is any immediate concern with a new TV being incapable of tuning these channels. It would have to be a 100% digital TV, the only inputs being HDMI, DVI, and an antenna/coax jack to receive ATSC digital programming. If you're going to put in A/V, s-video, or component, you're already processing NTSC and you're 1 step away from including a tuner/demodulator.
    Last edited by FABombjoy; 04-09-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, obviously this is a wait and see situation. At this point it hinges on if/when cable systems decide to cease providing analog channels. Once the majority of cable outfits cease providing analog, then TV manufacturers will have a much more compelling reason to stop providing built-in demodulators.

Around these parts, you have to buy into the 3rd tier of cable packages before you even get a digital cable box, so my money is on "it'll be awhile". Since the majority of DTV converters sold only process OTA-format digital signals, you can't have people plug a DTV converter into their cable.

One thing is for sure: TV buying for old people has never been more confusing