Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who's picking up a DSi tomorrow?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I'm going to pass on it, at least for awhile. When the price drops I'll be picking it up but I'm still happy with my lite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly it really doesn't seem worth $180 to me. I will never use the camera function, and none of the DSiware really seems appealing. I have a laptop, so the browser seems little more than a gimmick. I also play tons of GBA games, so the removal of that slot seems pretty dumb. I don't see any reason why I'd buy one in the foreseeable future.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like my DSi. Been playing it alot and so far I'm definitely not regretting it. I carry a SP around with me in my bag everywhere so the lack of a GBA slot isn't a big deal. In fact, I really don't like playing GBA games on the Lite anyway so it REALLY isn't a big deal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrissylas View Post
    In fact, I really don't like playing GBA games on the Lite anyway so it REALLY isn't a big deal
    I'm actually the same way. I prefer the SP2/Micro for GBA anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman View Post
    Honestly it really doesn't seem worth $180 to me. I will never use the camera function, and none of the DSiware really seems appealing. I have a laptop, so the browser seems little more than a gimmick. I also play tons of GBA games, so the removal of that slot seems pretty dumb. I don't see any reason why I'd buy one in the foreseeable future.
    I agree fully, I just don't think there's really any positives to own a DSI and honestly I really hope it doesn't do that well because the DS-Lite is perfectly fine.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

was just curious to you guys who play there old GBA games on the SP2.... what makes it better than playing on a DSlite?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the screen looks fantastic on DS lite. I have the GBA NES classic version, but it doesnt have the best screen available for SP. I need to get one of the "now brighter screen" SP's at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retromangia View Post
    was just curious to you guys who play there old GBA games on the SP2.... what makes it better than playing on a DSlite?
    It annoys me that one screen is always dead black, I don't care for having 4 face buttons if I can only use two and the d-pad on my Lite sucks so that was always a problem too.

Coincidentally, my wife agrees. She's been playing through the GBA Super Mario World and found it annoying to control on her Lite (which has a decent d-pad) so she's switched to a Micro and loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by duo_r View Post
    the screen looks fantastic on DS lite. I have the GBA NES classic version, but it doesnt have the best screen available for SP. I need to get one of the "now brighter screen" SP's at some point.
    Or get a Micro. I love my Micros.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just recently toyed around with a friends DSi. I honestly wasn't going to get one, but with the screens, the controls and the matte surface vs the glossy Lite... I had an immediate change of mind. I traded in and scored one for a little over $20 out of pocket. Once in a while, you get lucky.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Or get a Micro. I love my Micros.

I got a Micro and I believe it was horrendously underrated.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I prefer playing GBA games on the larger screen of the SP.

Anyways, I like the DSi more than I thought I would. Its online 'range' seems to be better, as I can access it from anywhere in my house, which wasn't the case with the Lite. Lots of 'little' touches like that make it better, but as stated, it's not for more casual portable users.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I am a somewhat latecomer I barely get out these days, and picked up the light blue DSi at a local Walmart tonight. My take:

I *love* this color! They had two of these and like nine of the black units. I figured what the hell. Every freakin' thing I ever buy is black so it seems. Might as well change it up a bit. Glad I did. It really is beautiful.

YAY for matte finish! I am SO sick of this whole glossy mode everybody seems to be in to. I mean, glossy seems to work on white (because scratches are barely seen) but on black (and other dark colors) it just sucks in my book. I have seen glossy black PSP and DS Lite systems that look like dogshit over a short period of time (my wife's DS Lite looks like crud now) because if you simply don't completely baby these dark colored glossy consoles...well...this is just how they get. My few month old Samsung HDTV is the same way. I think it came with light scratches as a matter of fact. Either way, matte finish should be THE standard IMHO! The system is slimmer as well. Not by too much, but it is slightly noticeable from the DS Lite. I personally don't care how fat or slim a handheld is (ie: I am still fine with the Lynx!) but this may be a small factor that helps decide (or decline) the purchase.

The features are nice. The screens are larger, but really not enough for me personally to notice a major difference between it and the Lite. But, two speakers, the cameras, the internal memory (for storing downloadable games), the very nice audio player/record function, better volume control, push button power, hot swap DS card slot, and better LED design are all very welcome. I am a tinkerer. I like messing around with the video and audio functions. It is just something fun to do when I am not playing a game (although games are and will take advantage of these) and I enjoy it.

The non-inclusion of the GBA slot does not bother me at all. I have heard others complaining about it in various places, but come on really. If you are a gamer and play the older GBA titles, well, you already have a GBA or a compatible DS to do so. I guess it sucks for Guitar Hero (since you can no longer use that peripheral), but for me personally I can give two craps. I think I have had enough Guitar Hero to last me a few decades to be honest

Well, bottom line is that I REALLY like this unit! It is clearly the best Nintendo has put out in terms of functionality. I think it is worth the $170...that is if you do not have a Lite at all..or if your Lite is looking like it is in the need of a replacement. I sold my Lite off a long while back, and my wife is clung to hers. So, without a DS at all, I opted for the latest model instead of going for the old Lite. If you have a Lite that works fine, you may not want to jump on this right now. But, I am sure you will when the DSi store becomes more mature and starts offering some interesting things. Or, you may just want to bite the bullet to putz around with all of those other extra features I spoke of. You decide!

Anyway, my take on it. Game ON brothers and sisters!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

zektor, congrats on getting a DSi. What are you going to buy with your free 1000 points?

Just a heads up, do not buy warioware snapped - it's a total ripoff. There's already an official dsiware thread if you want to check it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    zektor, congrats on getting a DSi. What are you going to buy with your free 1000 points?

Just a heads up, do not buy warioware snapped - it's a total ripoff. There's already an official dsiware thread if you want to check it out.

Too late on the Warioware...already bought it...heh. The other title was Dr Mario. The webstore is VERY young. I probably should have saved them for the future...oh well. Either way, the DSi is very sweet