Thread: Is this FFVII OST Legit?

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is this FFVII OST Legit?

I was browsing through Craigslist yesterday, when I found an ad for some Final Fantasy soundtracks (FF IX Plus CD, FF X OST, & an FFVII OST).

So, I emailed the guy and asked him to send some pictures. He sent me some pics showing the front covers, and some of the discs. After looking at the pics, and doing some research, I determined that the FFIX & X OST are bootlegs.

However, it appears that the FFVII OST may be legit. The discs have the DigiCube logo. And underneath it shows the catalog number: "SSCX 10003" and "1997 DigiCube Co., Ltd", and then the SquareSoft logo. (There's a couple of other things on the disc, like copyright notices and stuff, but I didn't want to type all that out.)According to the site http://vgmdb.net/, this catalog number is for the limited edition version of the FFVII soundtrack. Also, the pics the seller sent of discs 1 & 2 look the same as the ones I've seen online. There aren't any pirated versions that have the DigiCube logo on them, are there?

Now, the only thing that makes me question it legitimacy, is the fact that the case the CDs are in doesn't seem to match what I've seen online. In the seller's pictures, the FFVII CDs are in a double thick case, and appear to have a slip cover with Cloud on a motorbike printed on it. However, the seller did state the following in his email: "note, FF7's case is broken, i replace a new case. the cover is missing also."

I've asked the seller to send some more pics of the Cloud slipcase, and of discs 3 & 4. I've also asked him whether the FFVII case shown in his photos is the original one, or a replacement Hopefully, this will give me some more answers.

By the way, does anybody know where I can find pictures of everything that came in the FFVII limited edition soundtrack, so I can do a proper comparison?

Cherry (Level 1) ErmangelnSeelen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

eh. Although I don't know too much about OSTs (other than the usual bootleg brands to avoid), I just wouldn't even deal with this guy personally, it's not really worth the risk imo

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If it says it's DigiCube, then it's legit, simple as that. No need to inspect the discs and such. The only concern I would have is his talk of stuff being broken and missing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    If it says it's DigiCube, then it's legit, simple as that. No need to inspect the discs and such. The only concern I would have is his talk of stuff being broken and missing.

I forgot to mention that the seller's asking price for the FFVII OST is only $6.00. So, if it is legit, I don't care too much about whether it's missing stuff. As long as the discs themselves are still in good shape and play OK, I'll be happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

If it's only $6, I would take the risk, because that's a pretty good deal if it's legit.
    Try getting him down to $4 or so, saying you don't want to pay full price because you're not sure if it's legit or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys, I finally found a site that has a picture of FFVII OST I'm referring to. Here's the link:

http://www.ffmusic.info/ff7ltd.html

Scroll down the page to the second paragraph. It mentions how someone named Roger Matthews found a version of the FFVII that looks very different from the official one. The link to the picture is in that paragraph.

The copy that the Craigslist seller has, does include the slipcase with Cloud on his motorbike. But the seller did mention that the original CD case broke, so he had to replace with a generic one, and he also said that he didn't have the original inserts for the CD case either.

You know, I almost feel tempted to buy this "mystery" FFVII OST just because it so unique! (Even if it is a bootleg!)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Dude, seriously, its 6 bucks. Just buy it already! That is, if the seller is still willing. If it were me I'd be pretty annoyed by all the questions, pestering, etc all over a $6 item. Or maybe it just seems you've done more of that than you actually have.