Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i just remembered Brutal: Paws of Fury was real good on the pc... its comedic and very fun to play, but actually quite a competant figther underneath.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Speaking of shitty games, we can't talk bad fighting games for DOS without talking about Metal & Lace. Good lord was that game terrible. It's only notable aspect is the bewbiez (assuming you're not playing the NR-13 version or have the upgrade disk).
    Yeah wasn't that a hentai game made by the same people that made ... damnit what is the name of that Adults Only RPG... it was pretty fun.

DAMNIT what is that RPG called?!?

edit: AHHA! Knights of Xentar. I really liked that game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    edit: AHHA! Knights of Xentar. I really liked that game
    I really liked both that and Cobra Mission. Really good, juvenile humor in both of them. Haven't played either since they came out, so I wonder how poorly they've aged...hmmm...

Cobra Mission was hella short, IIRC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...Haven't played either since they came out, so I wonder how poorly they've aged...hmmm...
    I played through Knights of Xentar again not that long ago. It aged fairly well. The graphics always sucked and the humour is still just as lame. If you liked the original, you'll like it now.

BTW, check out this weird coincidence! (click for larger)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I played through Knights of Xentar again not that long ago. It aged fairly well. The graphics always sucked and the humour is still just as lame. If you liked the original, you'll like it now.

BTW, check out this weird coincidence! (click for larger)

Well now I have to reply just to stay on pace!

I'll fire up KoX again sometime. That "3d mode" or whatever always kind of blew, but the combat wasn't terrible and I recall having to find gender changing nuts or something to go into that settlement of all women or some such. Hrm.

Hey, does anyone remember the DOS Stick Fighter II or Pong Kombat games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

KoX
    Tee hee, there's an ironic abbreviation!

Anyway, how about FX Fighter?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Got bad reviews, so I avoided it. I'd say stick to SSFIIT, Mortal Kombat (1, 2, 3, and Trilogy were all released on DOS), Sango Fighter (or Sango Fighter 2, if you can find it online somewhere), One Must Fall 2097... maybe other stuff like Xenophage, I'm not sure. There are a few more(Tongue of the Fatman (aka Slaughter Sport on Genesis), Primal Rage), but really DOS isn't the best fighting game platform around... back in the DOS days, the only fighting games I'd really played on it were Sango Fighter and One Must Fall 2097. Still, there are some good ones there, particularly if you have a gamepad... if SSFIIT is good that'd probably be the top one to have.

Hmm, looking at the DOS Street Fighter games...

Street Fighter (Hi-Tech Expressions, ?)
    Street Fighter II (Hi-Tech Expressions, 1992)
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo (GameTek, 1995)
    Super Street Fighter II (?/Capcom USA, 1996)

Street Fighter Alpha 1 and 2 were released for Win9x, but not DOS.

I'd guess Rozner Labs developed at least some of those, but I don't know which exactly so I can't say. I don't think Capcom did the SSFII port internally, just like how they didn't do the MMX port internally.

Hmm... interesting. Now the DOS Mega Man games...

Mega Man (Rozner Labs/Hi-Tech Expressions, 1990) - original title, not a NES port
    Mega Man 3 (Rozner Labs/Hi-Tech Expressions, 1992) - also an original title (these are both quite unpopular, but I have MM3 for DOS and think it's okay, once you get used to it... it plays like a DOS game and not a Mega Man game, but if you like DOS platformers (with PC Speaker only sound), you could enjoy it.)
    Mega Man X (Rozner Labs/Capcom USA, 1995) - good port of the SNES game, with everything intact except for the riding armors, which were removed for some reason. It doesn't affect the game much at all; it's still fantastic! Having real saving instead of just passwords is nice.

Mega Man X3, X4, X5, and X6 were released for Win9x, but not DOS. X2 wasn't on PC.

Now, if you look up Mega Man X for DOS on MobyGames or GameFAQs, it'll say that Capcom USA developed. This is wrong -- I have the game, and when you boot it up, you see the Rozner Labs logo. Clearly, they did the port. What I want to know is, which of those DOS SF titles did they make, exactly?

Oh, and it's interesting that Capcom had SSFII ported to DOS a year AFTER SSFIIT had been released for DOS (by GameTek). Why release the lesser version, later? Is the port of SSFII better than the SSFIIT one? I haven't played either... but it is interesting, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    1). "Super Street Fighter II", developed by Rozner Labs. It looks like it was ported over from the Super Nintendo version, and thus, it sucks.

2). "Super Street Fighter II Turbo" developed by Eurocom. It's actually very, very good.
    Ah, almost missed this. So I was right, SSFII for DOS was Rozner Labs. I'd bet, then, that Street Fighter and Street Fighter II for DOS were both also theirs. But SSFIIT was done by Eurocom for GameTek, and it's a good port of the arcade game? Makes me wonder even more why Capcom bothered with SSFII a year later... did they get more money from this, being released under the "Capcom USA" label instead of the "GameTek" or "Hi-Tech Expressions" labels as well as Capcom as the past Capcom games had been? The MMX and SSFII ports were definitely much more professionally packaged, with the giant "CAPCOM" sidebar on the box, the box art that looked just like the original console versions, the box option that came packed in with a "Capcom PC Fighter 6" gamepad... (That's the version of MMX I got, incidentally. I still have that Capcom PC Fighter 6 pad... )

But despite all that, feature-wise SSFII had been exceeded by Eurocom/GameTek's port from a year earlier. Huh.

(Oh, do any of the DOS SF games save anything? I mean, on consoles they wouldn't, but on PC they could... Mega Man 1 and 3 didn't have saving, but Mega Man X does, replacing the SNES version's password save with standard save files. It just saves the same stuff the passwords would have, though, so you still have to do all the Sigma levels in one try... but I wonder about SSFII and SSFIIT.)
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 04-05-2009 at 06:56 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Tee hee, there's an ironic abbreviation!

Anyway, how about FX Fighter?
    Ah, beaten to the punch yet again by the almighty Jorpho!

I was just reorganizing my CDs the other day when I came across this one in the pile. An interesting little game...been a very long time since I've played it. I remember it being pretty tough, actually. Will have to fire it up again to see how it is...IIRC it's not super-awesome but it's not half bad, either.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Time Warriors
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

FX Fighter?
    I never played it, but it always intrigued me because it was supposed to be for SNES at one point. I heard it was kinda rubbish, though.

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Street Fighter II (Hi-Tech Expressions, 1992)
    No, U.S. Gold was actually responcible for the complete bastardization of Street Fighter II: The World Warrior on PC. The horror!

Quote Originally Posted by old_skoolin_jim
    FX Fighter?
    I heard it was kinda rubbish, though.
    It is rubbish. They also did a sequel, FX Fighter Turbo, which was equally bad.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is something to keep you playing One Must Fall:
    They had fatalities.

The guy, I think his name was Pyro but it has been a long time, I was completely insane with.

Also, Super Street Fighter 2 was good, but it runs slow on a 386. You might need to ensure that you run it on a 486.

Wow, I think the general consensus is recommendig one must fall, but it is definitely good enough

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Certainly One Must Fall 2097 is the best DOS only fighter. Its prequel, One Must Fall, should be avoided though, its a bad SF knockoff.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Xenophage and Rise of the Robots! Actually, I'm not. 2 of the worst fighters ever. One you fight with digitized aliens and freaks, and the other you fight with a digitized naked blue man against robots. Horrible, but hilarious in short bursts.

Sango Fighter and its sequel aren't half bad either. And yes, avoid the first SF game on PC. What a load of crap. SFII Turbo was okay though.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by phreakindee View Post
    Sango Fighter and its sequel aren't half bad either. And yes, avoid the first SF game on PC. What a load of crap. SFII Turbo was okay though.
    I have the first Street Fighter on PC. It's godawful. It's so bad I can barely bring myself to run it - and DOSBox can't even handle the game right!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I have the first Street Fighter on PC. It's godawful. It's so bad I can barely bring myself to run it - and DOSBox can't even handle the game right!
    What strength! but don't forget there are many guys like you all over the world.

Mortal Kombat on DOS is pretty good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Its prequel, One Must Fall, should be avoided though, its a bad SF knockoff.
    Actually, that wasn't so much a prequel as much as it was an incomplete beta version, never officially available.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Actually, that wasn't so much a prequel as much as it was an incomplete beta version, never officially available.
    Well, I bought a copy of it in a store, so... officially or not, it was out there. As "Shareware", it was titled something like "Kung-Fu Fighting"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Well, I bought a copy of it in a store, so... officially or not, it was out there. As "Shareware", it was titled something like "Kung-Fu Fighting"
    It got shoved onto a bunch of shareware compilation CD's from what I remember.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Indeed, as well as a floppy stand-alone disk or two. Wish I still had it - I may, but can't seem to locate it right now. Mountains of shareware disks in storage, so who knows

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I hate to say it, but this list starts and ends with One Must Fall 2097. Everything else is either mediocre (Sango Fighter), or done better elsewhere (Street Fighter series).

OMF is pure win. I spent so much time playing through the tournament mode it's not even funny.

--Zero