Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerpak work with Retro Duo?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Powerpak work with Retro Duo?

Does the powerpak from retrousb.com work on a Retro Duo? If it does, I don't just want your word for it, I want you to actually post a video of it doing so on youtube for everyone to see because it would make this thing worth the money for me because my original NES doesn't work all that well.
    Last edited by Joe_Cracker; 04-06-2009 at 02:51 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Cracker View Post
    Does the powerpak from retrousb.com work on a Retro Duo? If it does, I don't just want your word for it, I want you to actually post a video of it doing so on youtube for everyone to see.
    It fails to work with clone systems for 1 of 2 reasons-

1) the clone hardware is incompatible for the same reasons that other games are incompatible

2) they intentionally designed it not to work with clone hardware.

Unortunately it costs too much for me to ever consider purchasing one.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The website specifically says it's not compatible with clones. If it works for some people, great, but i wouldn't rely on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

How much is a NES deck? Geez.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

I've heard people say that it does but I was never able to get it working with mine. So, it's probably a crapshoot (like ProgrammingAce says) whether you would be able to get it to do so.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, i read it. What am i supposed to see? It works for some people, but not others. NOACs aren't all that compatible with the NES's PPU (The Graphics processor). It's kind of a crapshoot.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

So, you don't trust anyone's word here when no one knows you from a hole in the wall? Geez, pretty demanding.

The site says, verbatim:

System Compatibility List:
    Works on authentic Nintendo Systems including NTSC, PAL A, PAL B, and Asian top loader and toaster systems.

Works on Famicom using 72-60 pin converter.

Does NOT work on clone systems like the NEX, Yobo, or FC Twin.

Untested on portable systems, not likely to work.
    Even if someone tells you and you can "see" it on a youtube video, that's still that person's system. No way to know if it'll work on yours or what strange glitches you'll see.

In other words, what ProgrammingAce & namzep said.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    How much is a NES deck? Geez.
    Okay, I am REALLY getting sick of this attitude.

Know how much I'd pay for a vintage NES at the only game store in my area that stocks them?

$60 for a frontloader, $100 for a crappy TF-only toploader. Neither of which would be in any guaranted condition. Either of which is too much money. I'd rather emulate the system for those prices.

Not everyone has access to thrift stores or decent garage sales, especially when you're in a redneck area.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

There's always the internet, you know. I'm sure you can find a reasonably priced deck either here one of the multiple auction sites.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it only applies to the Retro Duo V2.0 for all I know which has a longer game compatability list. None of you should be surprised if the powerpak is proven to be compatable. Mainly because of what I am planning on doing: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nesrommaker http://nesrommaker.wikispaces.com/
    Last edited by Joe_Cracker; 04-06-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diosoth View Post
    Okay, I am REALLY getting sick of this attitude.

Know how much I'd pay for a vintage NES at the only game store in my area that stocks them?

$60 for a frontloader, $100 for a crappy TF-only toploader. Neither of which would be in any guaranted condition. Either of which is too much money. I'd rather emulate the system for those prices.

Not everyone has access to thrift stores or decent garage sales, especially when you're in a redneck area.
    But the same store sells a RetroDuo for less then $60? 'Cause that's what we're talking about here.

I've never seen a store sell a RetroDuo for less then a front loader. If you're going online to get the RetroDuo for cheaper, you could still get the front loader for even less. I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Emulation is cheaper? Well, no duh. But you cant emulate the powerpak, so you're still completely off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Geez. What a thread. Ya know, I've seen UFO's on youtube (which is actually one of the more believeable things you can find on there). It wouldn't matter if you saw a vid with your own eyes. Doesn't mean it will work for everyone. And I highly doubt that ANYWHERE in the continental US is so rural that you can't find a NES. I live in Eastern Kentucky..hillbilly central. I bought 3 NES's for $5 (total, not each). I got a toploader here for 10 bucks with 2 controllers. The more rural, the better. People practically give them away, you just have to look and keep your eyes open. In the past 2 months I've found Super Starfox Weekend and Bubble Bath Babes (for what you would commonly spend on a NES game) and I'm heading to the flea again this weekend to pick up Bubble Bobble 2 for 8 bucks (ran out of cash last weekend and the ATM was out of cash due to the first of the monthers...hillbilly central). Anyway, just keep your head up and you'll find that good deal eventually. If you don't, shoot me a pm and if you want to cover shipping I'll see if I can't find an old toaster deck around here for you (can't guarantee anything, I keep my spares in my tool closet and I throw tool boxes in there all the time so they may be destroyed by now).
    Your ad here.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried it on 2 different retro duo's and I couldn't get it to work. I got a title screen but it wouldn't go any further

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I already have a Retro Duo, that's another reason why I posted this thread.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is what is says on retrousb.com
    :START:System Compatibility List:
    Works on authentic Nintendo Systems including NTSC, PAL A, PAL B, and Asian top loader and toaster systems.

Works on Famicom using 72-60 pin converter.

Does NOT work on clone systems like the NEX, Yobo, or FC Twin.

Untested on portable systems, not likely to work.:END:

The compatibitly list states that it works in a US NES, a European NES as well as a Famicom. The list also states which clones which it's doesn't work on and that's no surprise because these clones listed above, the Retro Duo makes them obsolite because it plays more original software.
    Last edited by Joe_Cracker; 04-07-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114088

Frankie_says_the_powerpak_works

The difference between the retroduo and standard NOAC has nothing to do with the NOAC itself, but how it handles the cart busses. I would still think it's a crapshoot, because the NES PPU isn't 1:1 against the NOAC.

But if you're planning on developing some sort of NES engine builder, you would already know that. You can't possibly expect to write code for the NES and test it against an NOAC. Besides, what you want to make has already been created. Look for NBASIC by Bob Rost.

You do know there are at least 6 different NES assembly compilers, right? And you do know how to write Motorola 6502 assembly right? I highly recommend NESASM.
    Last edited by ProgrammingAce; 04-07-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it only applies to the Retro Duo V2.0 for all I know which has a longer game compatability list. None of you should be surprised if the powerpak is proven to be compatable. Mainly because of what I am planning on doing: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nesrommaker http://nesrommaker.wikispaces.com/
    I just read your website, you have no idea how the NES works do you?

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    Geez. What a thread. Ya know, I've seen UFO's on youtube (which is actually one of the more believeable things you can find on there). It wouldn't matter if you saw a vid with your own eyes. Doesn't mean it will work for everyone. And I highly doubt that ANYWHERE in the continental US is so rural that you can't find a NES. I live in Eastern Kentucky..hillbilly central. I bought 3 NES's for $5 (total, not each). I got a toploader here for 10 bucks with 2 controllers. The more rural, the better. People practically give them away, you just have to look and keep your eyes open. In the past 2 months I've found Super Starfox Weekend and Bubble Bath Babes (for what you would commonly spend on a NES game) and I'm heading to the flea again this weekend to pick up Bubble Bobble 2 for 8 bucks (ran out of cash last weekend and the ATM was out of cash due to the first of the monthers...hillbilly central). Anyway, just keep your head up and you'll find that good deal eventually. If you don't, shoot me a pm and if you want to cover shipping I'll see if I can't find an old toaster deck around here for you (can't guarantee anything, I keep my spares in my tool closet and I throw tool boxes in there all the time so they may be destroyed by now).

I live in Chicago we have two retro gaming stores where I can buy a used front loader for cheaper than a Retro Duo. I can go on ebay and find one for even cheaper than and cheaper than Retro Duo. Living in the city has it's advantages. That said, the best deals I've found are on vacations up in Wisconsin where I can probably find a NES console for 5-10 bucks.

Buy vintage!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

The PowerPak should be designed to work with system clones as the reliability of the classic Nintendo Entertainment System is pretty much lame as lame can be.
    DERP