Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powerpak work with Retro Duo?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    The PowerPak should be designed to work with system clones as the reliability of the classic Nintendo Entertainment System is pretty much lame as lame can be.
    Then someone should design a clone that actually mimics the NES, instead of using an off-the-shelf 65xx processor and half-assing the PPU. Clone makers have been milking the same NOAC chip for 10 years now without an update. Now that the NES has been documented to high hell, how about one of those cloners actually steps up and makes a new NOAC?

Answer: because there's no market for it.

Which is amazingly the same reason they're not going to redesign the powerpak to work with cheap-ass clones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Answer: because there's no market for it.
    I have heard that the FC Twin has sold over a million units which is impressive for a clone. That would seem to signify a market for them.
    DERP

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have heard that the FC Twin has sold over a million units which is impressive for a clone. That would seem to signify a market for them.
    There's a market for clones, they sell pretty damn well. There isn't a market for a $150 clone that's a perfect emulation of the NES. That's pretty much what it would take.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    There's a market for clones, they sell pretty damn well. There isn't a market for a $150 clone that's a perfect emulation of the NES. That's pretty much what it would take.
    Like I have said many times, perfection is irrelevant as long as the majority of the games works well and looks fine on the clone
    DERP

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can understand WHY he wants to make triple sure this thing's going to work. At $130, I'd want a full 100% guarante of it being functional, too.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like I have said many times, perfection is irrelevant as long as the majority of the games works well and looks fine on the clone
    Perfection is necessary if you want to guarantee the powerpak, it's a complicated damn device on the cutting edge of circuit design. There really isn't any wiggle room there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I like to see a source on this. A million worldwide or just in the US?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    I like to see a source on this. A million worldwide or just in the US?
    I cant even remember where I read it. Probably some crap-for-brains source like wikipedia.
    DERP

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Even if it were a million+ clone units sold, that's a million+ units sold at that particular price (~40-50 USD). You think a small company can take the time to design, develop, build, test and market a whole new device that does pretty much the same thing that an already cheaper unit does with the only major difference being that it works with a special $150 device that very few people have? THAT's the cost you would need to justify, and the one almost no one will pay. It's a losing proposition from a business perspective as it would be nigh impossible to recoup all of that initial layout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Someone needs to just make a whole new awesome cheap NOAC.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone needs to just make a whole new awesome cheap NOAC.
    No, NOAC just needs to be done away with. I never understood the whole famiclone concept. Spend 80 bucks on a system that doesn't support some of the best NES games out there (we know which ones), or spend 80 bucks on a top load NES. AV outs can be installed pretty easily. Otherwise there is no advantage to a clone. I'm speaking from experience. They're garbage. Original is the only way to go.
    Your ad here.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

unless the clones enhance the video and or sound why even bother.

Get a toaster nes and powerpak do the rgb and stereo mod. then do the extra audio channel mod to enable the powerpak to play extra audio we missed out from some japanese games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acem77 View Post
    unless the clones enhance the video and or sound why even bother.

Get a toaster nes and powerpak do the rgb and stereo mod. then do the extra audio channel mod to enable the powerpak to play extra audio we missed out from some japanese games.
    Tell it on the mountain, brother!!!!
    Your ad here.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He said it would coast some money but the guy who built the powerpak said that it is possible for him to build a new motherboard for the original front loading NES that would be 100% compatable with all original and new games, including the powerpak if that ever happens it could be like this NES clone more powerful then all the others out there.

Right now he needs $150,000 to start the project which I think deserves the right of the title "Perfect Clone"
    Last edited by Joe_Cracker; 04-14-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's been a while, I can tell you this. There are so many NOAC chips out there that are used in these clones but so far "no one" has been able to make perfect copy of the program that is in the original 6502 chips that where used in original hardware. Plus, someone sent me an email, saying that he got a hold of an NES game that had "never been open." and his NES has a cleaned motherboard and a new 72pin connector and the games he owned for years still didn't work. This one game works like new, my guess is that if you get your motherboard cleaned and a new pin connector then you shouldn't have any problems plus he also owns a copy of retrousb's cart copy of the 1990 Nintendo World Championship and it works well as the same as this old game that could have remained a collector's item if he didn't open it.

The real trick for these clones is like for example, a perfect copy of the original NOAC program that is compatable with all NES software. He also says that his powerpak is a dream but I think it could be more.

I'm challenging the creator of the Powerpak to go even further, make a new version of the powerpak that acts as a external harddrive with built in Flash Memory that uses USB and not reliant on a compact flash card and the flash memory needs to be much faster then a CF card and handle double the number of mappers. There is also idea of a "cart on demand." service, stating that if you NES cart is "beyond repair" it can be replaced with a new board, use ciclone lockout, the inside of the cart is cleaned, and your old cart and the original board will be recycled "Not tossed in a land fill but recycled" by people who recycle old computers and stuff.

I'm holding off my purchase of a powerpak because I got a damaged Retro Duo that won't play anything, not even Super Mario Bros. It's only good for SNES titles.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Cracker View Post
    He said it would coast some money.....
    Where are you from? Jersey? Australia?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Cracker View Post
    I'm challenging the creator of the Powerpak to go even further, make a new version of the powerpak that acts as a external harddrive with built in Flash Memory that uses USB and not reliant on a compact flash card and the flash memory needs to be much faster then a CF card and handle double the number of mappers.
    The compact flash interface is much faster then the data channels in the NES. Changing to a flash storage would have no effect on performance and only add to cost. The difference between CF and internal memory is simply a matter of preference. I personally would much rather have removable storage then rely on the device itself.

The issue of mappers has very little to do with the hardware. The hardware can support a vast majority of games. There might be a few dozen NES games that the powerpak hardware can't handle, if that. The issue with the mappers is that a lot of the uncommon ones aren't well understood. Nobody has spent the time to reverse engineer them properly. It's a software issue rather then a hardware issue. Really the only mappers it couldn't support are the ones with more then 512K of memory, and that's only because of the FPGA.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, the PowerPak doesn't work with Retro Duo (v2.0)... and that sucks.