Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Wii Gun Accessory? Please help...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best Wii Gun Accessory? Please help...

I'm making the jump into modern gaming this weekend and will be purchasing a Wii. I love first person shooters, linear or otherwise. I've looked all over the web and have seen a million gun-controller attachments. Anyone have a preference on which is the best for each game type (free exploration vs. linear). I assume a pistol-style would work best for a linear shooter, since you could wield 2 if you're playing solo but on a 2player game. In a free-roam scenario you'd have to have one with the nunchuk attachment so you can move. Any suggestions?

-I apologize if this has been done to death (I've always stayed in classic gaming). I tried to search in this forum but "wii and gun" but its under the 4 letter minimum!
    Your ad here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Nyko Perfect Shot it all you need. http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=124

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool. I was worried it would end up like my search for a light for my Gameboy Advance (I went through 5 or 6 lights before realizing that they were all junk). You've saved me from amassing another box of useless add-on devices and for that I thank you!
    Your ad here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No problem! The Nintendo Zapper is only worth it if you have to have every Zelda game. The Crossbow Training game is weak, and the Zapper is even weaker. I have 2 of the Perfect Shots, and I absolutely love them. Perfect for HOTD 2&3 and Ghost Squad, the two real must-have lightgun games available at this point.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer 9mm, it has less penetration with more damage then a .38. Less chance of going through walls then .45 or greater.

Rememember, be responsible when you're shooting your wii.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Owning both the Nyko Perfect Shot and the zapper, I'd say go with the Nyko. About the only thing I play on the Wii is rail shooters, so it works out well for me. Now, if you play a FPS the Zapper may work a touch better because the Zapper is designed to hold the Nunchuck as well as the Wii-mote. The Nyko is also cheaper, by as much as $10 depending on where you by it. I'd go with that one first at any rate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I'll go with the Nyko first. The price is reasonable and if I don't like the set up I'll try the zapper next. I really didn't want to end up with 4 or 5 chunks of useles plastic lying around before I found a decent one. I'll eventually get another wii remote for two players and may get a zapper then.
    Your ad here.

Insert Coin (Level 0) calistarwind's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the Resident Evil light Gun for Wii just because it looks cool as hell.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I discovered a rather interesting oddball of a Wii gun handle at the Circuit City closeout. It's called the "Wii Laser," and true to its name, it has a real laser pointer. Of course, it's NOT AT ALL accurate to the ON-SCREEN crosshair, and as such is a completely useless feature. However, it also has rumble and the nunchuk holder detaches (and pivots too)! I personally don't like the idea of holding the whole thing like a machine-gun, and I didn't want to pay $15 for the Perfect Shot, so I really like the Wii Laser. No matter what game I'm playing, I don't like the idea of my movement controls being laterally aligned with my aim.

However, it's made by Circuit City's former in-store brand, Verge, so good luck finding one. If you do, it's a great alternative, and you can blind your friends with it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nyko Perfect Shot + HOTD 2n3 = heaven. And I never cared for light gun games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Resident Evil gun does look pretty cool, but I think the novelty of cocking the gun to reload would wear off pretty quick. I've always been a fan of light gun games, personally, and I can't wait to get one here at home (no offense Duck Hunt & Hogan's Alley). Isn't HOTD 2/3 only $30 new? Its cheaper than Resident Evil but I'd assume that both put together are even shorter. What's the best to accompany the gun? Possibly HOTD: <Can't remember the sur-name>?
    Your ad here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I discovered a rather interesting oddball of a Wii gun handle at the Circuit City closeout. It's called the "Wii Laser," and true to its name, it has a real laser pointer. Of course, it's NOT AT ALL accurate to the ON-SCREEN crosshair, and as such is a completely useless feature.
    Is there any way to calibrate what your aiming at? It's always a bit goofy playing shooting games becasue, for me at least, it seems your always aiming lower than what your hitting.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Anyone have a picture or link for this Resident Evil gun? the google results I'm getting don't look that cool to me.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Anyone have a picture or link for this Resident Evil gun? the google results I'm getting don't look that cool to me.

Make sure when you do a google image search on this, that your search parameters match this screen grab exactly. It'll look way cooler, I promise.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

edit disregard
    Last edited by Cryomancer; 04-08-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    The Resident Evil gun does look pretty cool, but I think the novelty of cocking the gun to reload would wear off pretty quick. I've always been a fan of light gun games, personally, and I can't wait to get one here at home (no offense Duck Hunt & Hogan's Alley). Isn't HOTD 2/3 only $30 new? Its cheaper than Resident Evil but I'd assume that both put together are even shorter. What's the best to accompany the gun? Possibly HOTD: <Can't remember the sur-name>?
    My Favorite is light gun game on the Wii is HOTD Overkill. You can get through the game pretty quickly, but there's a good amount of replay value to unoock stuff, plus a few multiplayer minigames.

RE Umbrella Chronicles is on sale for $30 at the EB/GS "Game Days" sale (plus you can use a 10% off coupon) which is my 2nd favorite light gun game. It's more in depth than Overkill, with about 10 hours of gameplay, and it give some nice back story to the RE series.

BTW HOTD 2/3 is on sale for $20 and Ghost Squad (kinda Time Crisis-ish arcade shooter) is $15 at EB/GS now also. Both are good light gun games.

There's a light gun mode in Medal of Honor Heroes 2 that I like also. If you want to check out something in the WWII vein, it's worth taking a look at. I thought it was much better than the light gun mode in Call of Duty World at War, which I found to be pretty much unplayable, and just ended up using the Remote/Nunchuk configuration.

One light gun game to avoid is Target Terror. It's a pretty poor conversion of an arcade game that's a ripoff of Lethal Enforcers.

As for which shell to get, I have both the Zapper and Perfect Shot. The Perfect Shot definitely feels more sturdy and more like a real gun, but I still use the Zapper for games like RE UC that use the nunchuk.

It's too bad the HOTD gun shells never came out in the States. They look pretty badass:

http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/01/...t-like-g-does/

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with the Wii Zapper or Link's Crossbow Training... it's not an ID shooter or a Sega shooter, but it's not supposed to be... still, it's not Duck Hunt for the NES either, so I don't understand why there's so much hate for it... unless you just don't like anything to do with Zelda games
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Koch View Post
    One light gun game to avoid is Target Terror. It's a pretty poor conversion of an arcade game that's a ripoff of Lethal Enforcers.
    I played this last week, it's so bad it's good. I'm on the lookout for it for around $10.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neil Koch summed up the Wii gun games pretty well, though depending on the day I'd swap RE:UC and HotD:Overkill - they're both great. RE is a lot more in depth and challenging, where as HotD is pick-up-and-play fun.

I've never used a gun extension for the Wii, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Nyko Perfect Shot. http://www.wiiminuteradio.com did a rundown of all the guns available at the time in a past episode, that might be worth checking out.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the great info, guys. I was at Wal-Mart tonight and checked out the zapper with the Link's Crossbow game. I love the LOZ series, I've got almost all of them dating back to the NES, so that will be a must have for me. Probably not the best light gun game available (I prefer more adult-oriented games for rail shooters), but definitely a future purchase.
    Your ad here.