Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Final Fantasy VII available on PSN ... in Japan

Final Fantasy VII available on PSN ... in Japan

Source: http://www.destructoid.com/final-fan...n-128222.phtml

Quote Originally Posted by Destructoid.com
    The Japanese PSN's ridiculous superiority has been demonstrated once again, as it's become known that Final Fantasy VII is now available for download. The classic RPG has been desired by many in downloadable form, myself included, but you'll need to cough up some Yen if you want it on your PS3 or PSP.

The PSOne Classics area is my favorite part of the PlayStation Store, but the variety of downloads are woefully pitiful considering the PlayStation's vast library of classic games. This is made even worse when you see how stocked the Japanese Store is. Come on Sony, get your act together. No good reason has been provided for the huge gap between our Store and the Japanese one.

I want my Final Fantasy VII now!
    So, opinions time. Is this coming to North America? If so, when?

What effect, if any, do you think this will have on the value of the original playstation title?

Do you think this could be an incentive for someone to pick up a PS3 or PSP?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It should have been made available two years ago. It's just more Sony foolishness. Instead of waiting around for PS1 releases such as these I have been making a greater investment in Wii stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I already own FF7, so I don't really care about a rerelease. I assume all the other FF7 fans do too.

What we need is a PS3 remake of FF7.

Insert Coin (Level 0) iloveguns's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^ PS3 remake indeed..
    the best things in life are those moments unexpected...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    I already own FF7, so I don't really care about a rerelease. I assume all the other FF7 fans do too.
    Yeah but it's nice to have it on the HD, plus you can take it with you on the PSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd prefer if they remade FF9. I love that game. Why FF7 gets more attention than 9 I'll never know.

BTW, can you trade save files between the PSP and PS3 versions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

According to Gamepro.com this release is of Final Fantasy 7 International. It already has a few improvements over the US version(and was previously released in Japan as a stand alone game following the normal FF7 release over there). However, copies of this PS1 import game can still be attained for $20-40 on ebay.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Castlevania SOTN still seems to hold its value despite XBL and PSN releases... not counting a retranslation on PSP. Though I'm sure the people that charge $75 or more will become a BIT angry, even with the more hardcore fans still clutching their copies like they were newborn children. Still, anything to release $10 copies to the public is a good thing since the game simply isn't worth more than $40, let alone $75-$100.

However, I am surprised Square would release ANY title like this. I would've expected a $40 PSP port with an extra dungeon tacked in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Why would Square-Enix produce a licence to print money when they've been so resistant to the idea, especially in these recessionistic times?

Seriously though, FF7 + PSP = win (for me at least).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    Seriously though, FF7 + PSP = win (for me at least).
    I agree. Why don't they just use the same graphics engine they used for Crisis Core and just enhance the world? Why don't they just make a two UMD RPG and sell it for 49.99. I'm pretty sure everyone would jump at that regardless of price. I would, truthfully.

Anyways. I like FF7, but I've played a couple hundred better RPG titles. The fact that it was the first RPG most gamers have played is the reason why it's "THE BEST RPG EVAR." It's got so much hype to it that it's praised by people nowdays who have probably never even played the game.

The PSN release is better for the PSP than ripping each disc. The reason is because each disc carries the same data aside from movies. With a PSN release I'm sure it'll be much smaller.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Even though I already own 99% of PS1 RPG's, I always pick them up again when they hit PSN. The ability to play them on the PSP (legit) before I go to bed (or wherever) is so worth it.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Even though I already own 99% of PS1 RPG's, I always pick them up again when they hit PSN. The ability to play them on the PSP (legit) before I go to bed (or wherever) is so worth it.
    Technically. If you rip a copy of your own PSX title to play on your downgraded PSP it's still playing the game legit. Even though it's an eboot of a ripped copy, it's an eboot of "your" ripped copy that you have sitting on the shelf somewhere.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Technically. If you rip a copy of your own PSX title to play on your downgraded PSP it's still playing the game legit. Even though it's an eboot of a ripped copy, it's an eboot of "your" ripped copy that you have sitting on the shelf somewhere.
    Depends where you live. In the USA, yes that likely qualifies as reasonable use and therefore isn't copyright infringement. Actually, it might not be since Sony is releasing the same subject matter on the same system. I'm not sure either way.

In Canada, that's copyright infringement and therefore illegal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    But you still get free health care so it pretty much balances out. Actually, I think you got the better deal

Back on topic, if Square-Enix enjoys making money hand over fist they really need to rerelease FF7. And I'm not just talking about the PSN. They need a Psp, PS2, PS3, XBLA and Virtual console version. It all may not seem very feasible but money is money. Hell, a cell phone version would even sell pretty well.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    But you still get free health care so it pretty much balances out. Actually, I think you got the better deal

Back on topic, if Square-Enix enjoys making money hand over fist they really need to rerelease FF7. And I'm not just talking about the PSN. They need a Psp, PS2, PS3, XBLA and Virtual console version. It all may not seem very feasible but money is money. Hell, a cell phone version would even sell pretty well.
    Better yet, port the mythical PS3 remake to the 360 like they're doing with FF13. Can you imagine FF7 with achievements?

...Or better yet, dlc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Forgive me if I'm asking something that has been asked and answered before:

Call me crazy, but I'd swear that within the last five years I've seen GH versions of Final Fanatasy VIII, IX, Anthology, Chronicles and Origins for sale at Fry's. Why the hells were they never reselling FFVII like that? (Okay, that's bit rhetorical, who knows the minds of Squares?)

Actually, the more legitimate questions: When did Square officially stop making new copies of Final Fantasy VII? When did stores stop selling it new?

I'm in the camp that says my memories of it are very fond and I would place it up in my top five videogaming experiences of all time, but am well aware of its shortcomings.

Only on PSN Japan? What could they be thinking?
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everyone keeps saying that, I think there's a good reason why they haven't done it yet.

You can tell a very different kind of story with representative graphics and text. A game can get away with a higher degree of whimsy and nonsense when what you see and hear is closer to a "video game" than a film. When you go full 3D with motion-captured animations and full voice acting, things have to be a little more serious to keep the flow of the game.

That said, can you still imagine a modern remake of FF7? Can you see FF7:AC styled Cloud cross dressing, approaching Don Corneo? Can you imagine Barret donning his cute little sailor suit? How about Red XIII dancing on the ship, attempting to walk with two legs? Better yet, just try to imagine the Honeybee Inn scene in HD.

FF7 had super-deformed low-poly characters for a reason...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Depends where you live. In the USA, yes that likely qualifies as reasonable use and therefore isn't copyright infringement. Actually, it might not be since Sony is releasing the same subject matter on the same system. I'm not sure either way.

Um... not exactly...

Should the Conservatives again attempt to pass Bill C-61, it could be illegal, not because you aren't permitted to make a copy of your own game (you are), but because circumnavigating the encryption on the disc would become illegal. This is currently the case in the US (courtesy DMCA), so it is, in fact, illegal to rip UMDs (or DVDs) in the States, because you have to break the DCM to do it, and that's against the law.

Currently, afaik, there is no law in Canada preventing you from making and playing a copy of your own game on any emulator or other hardware. In fact, as I read the Act, it is explicitly legal:

Computer Programs

30.6 It is not an infringement of copyright in a computer program for a person who owns a copy of the computer program that is authorized by the owner of the copyright to

(a) make a single reproduction of the copy by adapting, modifying or converting the computer program or translating it into another computer language if the person proves that the reproduced copy is

(i) essential for the compatibility of the computer program with a particular computer,

(ii) solely for the person's own use, and

(iii) destroyed immediately after the person ceases to be the owner of the copy; or

(b) make a single reproduction for backup purposes of the copy or of a reproduced copy referred to in paragraph (a) if the person proves that the reproduction for backup purposes is destroyed immediately when the person ceases to be the owner of the copy of the computer program.
    The way I understand this section of the Canada Copyright Act, I can make a copy of any computer program (including Video Game) that I legally own a copy of and adapt it as I wish to make it run on other hardware. Period. This would no longer be permitted if Bill C-61 (aka DMCA North) or its successor were to pass. Write your MP. Tell them to kill the Bill...
    Last edited by Jimid2; 04-12-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    Better yet, port the mythical PS3 remake to the 360 like they're doing with FF13. Can you imagine FF7 with achievements?

...Or better yet, dlc?
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but why would only the 360 version have these?

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante
    Better yet, just try to imagine the Honeybee Inn scene in HD.
    It's been a while. What, exactly, happened in that scene?
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post
    It's been a while. What, exactly, happened in that scene?
    There's several rooms which you can peek in, one of which has President Shinra doing some strange "the beast has awakened" monologue, involving his assistants wearing heavy armor (I don't think this one got translated right, to be honest). Then there's two empty rooms that you can go in. One of them involves Cloud's inner self speaking to him, criticizing him for going to a place like that, and he wakes up when the "attendant" finds him unconscious and alerts the manager (this one's actually kinda plot-relevant...). The other room, the "Union Room," involves a dozen or so of the gay bodybuilders joining Cloud in a hot tub, and referring to him as "Bubby."